Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Kaia when she was 2 months in February. A month later we adopted Didi who was 1.5 years. Kaia is fully potty trained because we had her since she was a puppy. Didi knows she's supposed to go outside. We keep the dogs on a routine since we don't have a fenced yard/doggy door. Didi is never leashed/harnessed when we go outside because it causes her more stress and she absolutely will not go. Instead she will run to the front door and stay there. She is absolutely terrified. She knows that once she uses the restroom, she can go back inside. In order to get to the yard where they are to potty, we have to walk down a flight of stairs. She won't even walk out of the apartment. I have to pick her up and put her on the stairs. Well, she has started to just pee on the stairs instead of walking down them to go outside. So for the past few days, I've had to carry her all the way down the stairs to the yard where she goes to the restroom.

When she's outside, fear is constantly in her. She will not take treats, she will not play with toys or her sister. She is shaking with her tail between her legs and moves very slow and low to the ground. I don't know how to break this fear of hers. We are constantly praising when she pottys but she is more interested in getting back inside than anything.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Have you talked to your vet about the possibility of anxiety medication? This fear sounds fairly severe. It may just need to be a short term thing for her, or she may need to be on it longer, but I think it could be helpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts