Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a 6 month year old puppy, who's owners have kept it in a doggy diaper. Is it possible to house break it?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I had to read that a few times to get it to register... You're serious?

Can't see why you couldn't train the dog to go outside. I wouldn't imagine it would be very comfortable to a dog to urinate and defecate in a diaper where it's held close to his body - and it would probably be a relief not to have it that way.

Spend time with the dog outside, positive reinforcement when the dog pees or poops outdoors. You may want to expect a few accidents but patience and time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I didn't specify. We're are considering buying that dog. It belongs to an older couple who's owners kinda got tired of potty training, and it's been in a diaper fairly consistently for 3 months. I was wondering if it would still be able to learn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It seems like it would be the perfect puppy for us, but a breeder we talked to hinted that we may not be able to house train her properly.
We really want to get her!

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She said something about psychological damage and it kinda scares me, it's our first dog. Thank you again, sorry for so many posts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a cross, ****zu and bichon. Apparently, those are two of the most difficult breeds to housebreak.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I've housebroken both, neither were overly difficult... Mind you, they didn't spend 3 months wearing a diaper. It's hard to say with that dog.

I would meet the dog, without diaper and take it for a walk. See if it pees or poops naturally. Bichons are usually pleasers, like 2 year old in a dog suit.

I'm surprised they are looking for money for this dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently it was a Christmas gift, not the best idea in the world. We have taken her out for a walk and she was fine, did her business and continued walking.
They are trying to charge 1,000 dollars for her.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Apparently it was a Christmas gift, not the best idea in the world. We have taken her out for a walk and she was fine, did her business and continued walking.
They are trying to charge 1,000 dollars for her.
*Cough*

For a cross breed that needs alot of undoing? I love dogs, but nope...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I would against buying this dog.
they charge way too much for a mixed breed with unknown background and with behavioural problems.

however i think it is possible to potty-train such a dog with a consistent walking schedule... it may take some time though and i'm not sure of a first-time-owner may not perhaps be overchallenged with such a dog.

there are a lot of small or medium-sized fluffy dogs in shelters that could be easier first-time-dog. especially the older dogs, that already learned some basic training in their first home cam be awesome beginner dogs.

Reactions: Chas

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
This couple may have initially paid a lot of money for the puppy and are probably trying to recoup their money. However, $1,000 for a six-month-old, untrained mixed breed dog, most likely from a backyard breeder, is an insanely high price for the dog. At the most, they should be asking for a $100 rehoming fee.

While I feel sorry for this dog, getting a dog out of pity (and paying a huge fortune to do so) is really not the best way for you to select a dog for yourself and your family. Are you located in North America? I might suggest that you do a search on these sites:

www.petfinder.com

Pet Adoption - Search dogs or cats near you. Adopt a Pet Today. Pictures of dogs and cats who need a home. Search by breed, age, size and color. Adopt a dog, Adopt a cat.

Look for rescue groups that foster their dogs in home settings. The foster families will be able to give you information about the personalities, behaviors, and needs of the dogs they take care of. And, you'll probably be looking at an adoption fee of $150 to $350.

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
I thought I might add an analogy regarding the monetary value of this dog. Imagine someone trying to sell a used car. Unless a car is a "collectible," once a car is purchased and is used, it immediately begins to depreciate in value. The original owner can't expect someone responding to an ad for a used car to pay the price on the original sticker at the car dealership. Nor can the original owner expect to reclaim any money for the gas and maintenance done on the car. And, if the car makes some funny noises or has some dents, then the resale value will drop even further. The puppy's owners have on their hands the equivalent of a used car with wear and tear and a few dents. Of course, I'm not saying that the puppy's life doesn't have value. All life has value, but the initial amount to take this dog home is far too high.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We ended up not getting the dog, instead getting a puppy from a breeder. Thank you for all of the advice!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts