Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a dog this past January. Our vet and the organization we adopted her from could not be certain of her age, but judging by her teeth they said between 8 months to 2 years (wide range, I know!). We started her on our other dog's dog food, which is the Premium Newman's Own Advanced Formula: High Protein for active dogs, seniors and puppies. We feed her one 3/4 cup in the morning and one 3/4 cup in the evening. First 3 ingredients are: chicken, chicken meal, organic oats. I know this isn't the top of the line food, but I looked at the "best dog food" lists and this is the highest quality we could really afford. Anyways, she started on this food and never had any issues with going potty inside. She was great! Then, about 8 months later (mid-August), she suddenly started poo'ing inside. We had not changed her food, how much she ate, when she ate, when we let her out to go potty or anything else related to her eating schedule. After it started happening, we did try to re-train her by taking her out, praising her for going with using the same words, but she continued to go inside. It hasn't been daily, but it'll be days on end, then stop a day, then start up again. We've tried everything that we can think of and that we've read online: we've tried reducing her food intake in the mornings (making up for the reduction at the evening feeding), we've tried feeding her earlier in the mornings and evenings to give her more time before we go to work in the morning and we've tried reducing the size of the space we keep her and the other dog in while we are at work (it is a portion of our sunroom so it is still a fairly large area). None of it worked! She is still going. We've read that she could be sick, but she is highly active (we believe she is part whippit, part pitbull) and shows no signs of being lethargic or having a tummy ache. Not to be too graphic, but her piles are not runny - they are very healthy and show no signs of health issues. Could it still be that she suddenly grew an intolerance to the food she is eating? Since she could still only be around a year or two old, is it possible she needs to go back to puppy food? She is such a smart girl that I can't imagine she's doing it because she doesn't know better. Can anyone help us?? We really don't know what else to do!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts