Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I have a two year old Poochon & I’m needing some potty advice.

She is pad trained, she has always been pad trained since she was a puppy when I first got her. She is super smart potty training was a breeze with her. I never had any potty problems with her until the last few months!! Now it’s turned into almost a daily occurrence of “accidents”.

It initially just started with #2, she started randomly going in the hallway by the front door. Again she had never done this before so it was VERY odd. I would obviously clean up the solids right away and wipe down with an enzyme cleaner. She stopped doing this as much but still does it on occasion.

Next came the urine issues. She pees everywhere on my carpets at this point. There seems to be no pattern or preferences. She just goes. Again, I soak up the urine with a towel. Let an enzyme cleaner soak in per the directions then suck it up with a carpet cleaner/extractor attachment.

The thing that just doesn’t make sense is that she IS FULLY AWARE THIS IS NOT OKAY. Everytime she sees me cleaning up one of her accidents she literally goes and sits on her potty pads.

Just for some context: None of her pads had been moved to a new location. We are in the same household from when I first got her. No new pets. There have been no major life changes or events.
I have not ruled out the possibility of a health concern - she has a vet appointment scheduled. (However I personally think it’s a behavioral issue based on how she is acting)

Every morning when I get up now I’ve been taking her to her potty pads like when she was a puppy and waiting until she goes pee. I also give her a treat when she does go on the pad. I also do this same process when I get home & before bed. This has HELPED the issues but she is still at random going somewhere else.

I read online that I need to go back to like potty training basics & do the same stuff I did when she was a puppy until she can be trusted again - is this my best option?

Should I be limiting how much water she drinks as well? I also read about that but don’t know how I feel about it.

Any feedback or advice would be helpful. If you need further information please ask! Thank you!

·
Administrator
877 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I have a two year old Poochon & I’m needing some potty advice.

She is pad trained, she has always been pad trained since she was a puppy when I first got her. She is super smart potty training was a breeze with her. I never had any potty problems with her until the last few months!! Now it’s turned into almost a daily occurrence of “accidents”.

It initially just started with #2, she started randomly going in the hallway by the front door. Again she had never done this before so it was VERY odd. I would obviously clean up the solids right away and wipe down with an enzyme cleaner. She stopped doing this as much but still does it on occasion.

Next came the urine issues. She pees everywhere on my carpets at this point. There seems to be no pattern or preferences. She just goes. Again, I soak up the urine with a towel. Let an enzyme cleaner soak in per the directions then suck it up with a carpet cleaner/extractor attachment.

The thing that just doesn’t make sense is that she IS FULLY AWARE THIS IS NOT OKAY. Everytime she sees me cleaning up one of her accidents she literally goes and sits on her potty pads.

Just for some context: None of her pads had been moved to a new location. We are in the same household from when I first got her. No new pets. There have been no major life changes or events.
I have not ruled out the possibility of a health concern - she has a vet appointment scheduled. (However I personally think it’s a behavioral issue based on how she is acting)

Every morning when I get up now I’ve been taking her to her potty pads like when she was a puppy and waiting until she goes pee. I also give her a treat when she does go on the pad. I also do this same process when I get home & before bed. This has HELPED the issues but she is still at random going somewhere else.

I read online that I need to go back to like potty training basics & do the same stuff I did when she was a puppy until she can be trusted again - is this my best option?

Should I be limiting how much water she drinks as well? I also read about that but don’t know how I feel about it.

Any feedback or advice would be helpful. If you need further information please ask! Thank you!
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

The problem is, you're using puppy pads. This tells the dog that it's OK to toilet in the house. And puppy pads feel very similar to floors to a dog.

Why aren't you taking her outside for a toilet break? Do you take her for walks? If not, you should be.

No, don't restrict her water.

No, she doesn't know it's not OK. She's choosing to sit on the puppy pad because she gets treats for sitting there - it's her safe place. Nothing bad happens to her there.

If it's unfeasible to take her out multiple times a day for toilet breaks (for example, you live on the top floor of a high rise), then the next best thing is to get a kitty litter tray and some fake grass. Put a puppy pad in the litter tray and the fake grass on top so that there's a texture difference between the floors and her toilet.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree with LMMB. In my experience in helping people with behavior problems with their dogs, this happens 9 times out of 10 when a person trains the puppy to use pee pads in the house. That's why I always recommend not to use the pads at all. Is there a reason that you have been using pads instead of taking her outside?

I say unless you are unable to for some reason, start taking her outside, and take her for walks, as stated above.

Never, ever limit the amount of water you are allowing a dog to have. there should be fresh water down at all times available for the dog.

And please do stop thinking that she knows it is not OK. She doesn't, and that's because of the pee pads. I trust you are not scolding or punishing her in any way for going in the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts