Dog Forum banner

Help Post Spay Infection???

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Rain 
#1 ·
We recently rescued a 9 month old black German shepherd. She was just spayed a week and a half ago and I am worried about her incision site. I'll attach a photo below. We've been keeping it dry/ cleaning it with warm water and a cotton cloth and it doesn't seem to be hurting her. Shes still in good spirits and let's you gently touch the area no problem. She eats and goes to the bathroom like normal. I just don't know about the dark area and scar tissue. Has anyone seen this before? We are thinking of taking her to the vet tomorrow am.

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like the incision site pulled open a bit. It looks like it is starting to do it more at the top of the incision, but is most noticeable at the bottom.

Did the vet tell you to clean it with warm water and a cotton cloth? Most want you to leave it alone or at most clean around the incision but not directly on it. Did you make her wear a cone?

#4 ·
She may have licked when y'all weren't watching. I had one who'd do that. He knew I'd stop him if I saw him so he'd wait till I wasn't watching then lick away.

I'd get her to the vet and have him check it. He may want to put her on an antibiotic to keep it from getting infected. Just going by the pictures it doesn't look inflamed or infected yet, but, like I said, it looks like it's pulled open in some places.

#6 ·
I hope she does good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.