Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my dog, a 11 month old cocker spaniel, just went for spaying last thursday. She's currently back to her bubbly, energetic self. However, her incision area still looks a little unusual. There are like bits of exposed tissue. Not sure if I should be worried. Has anyone seen this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
IMO as long as it stays closed and there is no infection, it should be ok. To be absolutely sure you should have your Vet check it, but I think (non-professional opinion disclaimer) you are ok.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I personally would recommend close those incisional gaps in the wound... yes, with time it might heal fine, but it will heal a lot better and faster if you do something about those gaps.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The surgery incision has dehisced and you should have your vet take a look at it before it gets any worse. This is definitely not normal healthy healing. Depending on how deep and healed the sub-q layer is they may need to place a few staples to ensure it doesn't open any more than it has already. Have you been keeping her activity restricted and putting a cone on her when you aren't watching her?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Im not sure if that looks right or not. Personally I think it looks a little odd but clean so might be no harm to just bring her for a quick check up in the vets and get their professional opinion. Although what did they say when you got the stitches removed?

Just an observation aswel, did they not shave her tummy before the op? As that is quite a lot of hair growth in one week on an area that in my experience is relatively hairless...I know cockers have a longer coat but still seems like a lot of growth after one week?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies! A very caring community here. The wound looks a little better now. Those parts that were sticking out before sort of receded and are evening out with the surrounding skin. Although there are still some dried up yellowish stuff there. Not sure if it is fresh pus. Will wait a few more days and see if it goes away. Anyway, really appreciate the comments! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
If there is yellow stuff it would be no harm ringing the vet to leave out a course of antibiotics for you. You shouldn't need an appointment or anything and they don't cost all that much, just explain over the phone.
I recently adopted a dog from a shelter and we had to bring her to our vets on the way home to have her stitches removed from her op but turns out it was a real botch job done and badly infected. The antibiotics cleared it up in around 2 days and its healed amazingly well now and you can barely even see a scar and its only been 2 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts