Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog was pregnant for her spay, late stage and the vet had to do cesarean prior to spay. She lost a ton of blood and ended up in a freezing back room for a couple of hours post op. She was shivering uncontrollably at first, now sleeping. She has no pain relief or anti inflammatory prescribed.

We were not called when they discovered her condition and were only vaguely concerned that she may be pregnant as she had a check up 10 days ago where the vet dismissed pregnancy but noted large nipples and we've had her for 21 days.

My question is should I try to convince my sister, her dog, to get a second opinion regarding post spay care? (When Echo was spayed it was a lot smoother and she was on antinflammatories for a week.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
If she's home now and has recovered well (she's alert, eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, and the incision looks healthy), then I don't really see a need to bring her for another potentially stressful vet visit right away. What I WOULD do is call the clinic that perform the surgery and ask them to prescribe some pain meds!
If you don't think she's recovering as she should, then yes, bring her in.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Oh what a traumatic experience!

I agree, I would call the vet that performed the surgery and request pain-meds and anti-inflammatories. If they won't prescribe them then I would see another vet. If they do and she is home and healing then I wouldn't want to stress her.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm going to have a lot of trouble convincing her to call for meds, the vet receptionist sold her on "the pain will stop her being active." Uh, that's our freaking job! I can not believe the vet is operating this way and there is stuff all I can do because she's not my dog and this would not be considered enough to involve anyone else. I will try again though.

On a good note, she's doing really well this morning, happy, a few winces but well enough to eat, pee and drink as well as steal the makeshift bed I slept on in the kitchen to be near enough should she have had issues.

Thank you so much for replying to this!

image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
That's always so difficult, when you're around it but the decision making is out of your control. Glad to hear she is doing better, that was awesome of you to sleep nearby in case she needed help.

You said she was in late stages of the pregnancy. How late? I'm surprised the vet didn't make the dog go to term and have the puppies.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's totally recovered according to the post op check up 3 days ago, so glad she recovered well.
@jclark343 Well she started lactating a week after the operation, so very late at a guess, not viable though. We had our suspicions but sort of counted on the pre op consult to tell us. Apparently the opperating vet didn't realize how pregnant she was until he'd opened her so he sort of had to go on at that stage. Still not sure why we weren't called when he noticed she was pregnant at all. The whole thing is weird and I suspect has led to a change in procedure.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damnit, noticed a minor hernia last week that has now split the 1st layer of muscle. Vet will see it on wednesday at the soonest. Poor dog.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: she's been under two extra times due to some foreign bodies in the wound. Some hair got in the wound when it was first opened and created a reaction. Thank goodness it didn't effect the muscle layers.

She is the most miserable in the cone but at least she's able to exercise.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
At least you are now dealing with non life threating stuff, certainly uncomfortable for her. Lets hope for a successful recovery with no more complications ahead for her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts