Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 5 y/o Pomchi neutered on Monday (today is Thursday). As of this morning I noticed a pretty substantial amount of blood in his morning urination. It was basically rust colored. He also seemed to be urinating more and every time he peed his urine became darker/more red. He doesn't seem to be straining, but as I said it has been more frequent.

I called my vet first thing this AM and she said she would like to wait a few days to see if the problem clears on its own. I was crazy surprised by this as to me these are classic UTI symptoms. She said she would call me on Saturday to see how things were and to call if he began straining or acting odd. Do you think I'm being paranoid or should I insist on a urinalysis? Waiting two more days just seems like a long time and I'm not certain I'd be able to take them a urine sample on Saturday as I work all day.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm a bit of a hyerchondriac for my pup so I'd be pushing for an appointment unless the vet could adequately explain why blood in the urine would be expected after neuter. I have no experience with post op neuter though so it might be normal?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Don't wait, take the sample in tomorrow, Uti can cause a whole host of issues if you wait. I'm surprised the vet would even suggest waiting. Urinating blood after a neuter is not normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance guys, it made me feel MUCH less paranoid in calling the vet back, which I did. I'm picking up antibiotics for him in the morning. Here's hoping we can clear this in one round!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts