Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panda's been peeing or marking in the house since last summer. I got him tested at the vets and he has a bit of crystals and a bit of white blood cells but not enough to say he has a definite urinary tract infection.

The vet suggested trying a food that may help, it's Royal Canin's Multifunction Urinary & Hydrolyzed protein dry food - he's currently on Nutrience lamb & duck formula

I checked out the ingredients of the Royal Canin food and this is what it says

Brewers rice, hydrolyzed soy protein, chicken fat, natural flavors, chicory, salt, rice hulls, vegetable oil, fish oil, calcium sulfate, sodium silico aluminate, potassium phosphate, fructooligosaccharides, potassium chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], calcium carbonate, taurine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, N-butyric acid, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate, calcium iodate], rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid

I can't see this stuff being any better - there's no actual food in there - brewer's rice, hydrolyzed soy protein (what is that?) chicken fat, salt, rice hulls, vegetable oil

It's $50 for a 6 pound bag and I'm supposed to feed him 1 cup per day.

Anyone have any good results with this?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Panda's been peeing or marking in the house since last summer. I got him tested at the vets and he has a bit of crystals and a bit of white blood cells but not enough to say he has a definite urinary tract infection.

The vet suggested trying a food that may help, it's Royal Canin's Multifunction Urinary & Hydrolyzed protein dry food - he's currently on Nutrience lamb & duck formula

I checked out the ingredients of the Royal Canin food and this is what it says

Brewers rice, hydrolyzed soy protein, chicken fat, natural flavors, chicory, salt, rice hulls, vegetable oil, fish oil, calcium sulfate, sodium silico aluminate, potassium phosphate, fructooligosaccharides, potassium chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], calcium carbonate, taurine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, N-butyric acid, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate, calcium iodate], rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid

I can't see this stuff being any better - there's no actual food in there - brewer's rice, hydrolyzed soy protein (what is that?) chicken fat, salt, rice hulls, vegetable oil

It's $50 for a 6 pound bag and I'm supposed to feed him 1 cup per day.

Anyone have any good results with this?
Personally I wouldn't switch to that food. But I would try a urinary supplement, vetri science makes a lot of well received supplements for dogs, check Amazon and read some reviews. I have read great things about them.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wouldn't feed that food, it looks like crap to me. You can go to a health food store and look for a urinary supplement. I give one to Shorty, he's been doing well since I started him. He was having on and off issues.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Go to a different vet.

That's not acceptable. They basically did limited diagnostics, said they didn't know what's wrong, and gave you a food? No. A full urine panel done at a lab can show whether there's bacteria in the urine, which can tell you for sure if there's an infection that needs antibiotics. Sending a dog home that's suffering with urinary issues with nothing but a prescription diet is not ok.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your situation sounds EXACTLY like mine a little while ago. My dog Bella had a UTI and I was told there was white blood cells but the vet wasn't sure which antibiotic would work best. They had one and said they could give me it but wasn't sure if it would be the "right" one until they took a sample by needle injection into her bladder. I didn't want to put her through it so we just went with the generic one they had and luckily it turned out fine.

I was told she will continue to get infections because she has a possible food allergy so they recommended Royal Canins's Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein kibble. Me thinking the vet should have my dogs best interest at heart, bought it - what a sucker. I had her on it for 6 weeks with no changes. Actually, she got another ear infection which I am treating with apple cider vinegar and raw food! Hoping the raw food will stop the infections from coming! What a money grab kibble is!!! Save your money, buy some raw food and find a new vet - one that won't hustle you.

I was sceptical about "hydrolyzed" protein because basically what it is (according to vets) is that the protein source is so broken down that the dogs body should not even be able to recognize it, thus there should be no adverse allergic reactions. But, my question is, what's the point in feeding it then if the dog can't recognize there is a protein even in the food! Clearly it's not good. In my opinion, soy is especially not good to feed anyone because of its hormonal shift/effect it has on the body.

I stopped feeding the foo and will NEVER take the diet advice from a vet again. They are not trained to give such information. I have received much more help on this forum than from my vet.

I have went to raw food, found a new vet and am naturally treating her infection. If it doesn't clear up shortly, at least I know I won't be going back to my old vet who's a hustler and I will continue raw!

Wishing you and your pup all the best!

Kerri

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't feed that food, it looks like crap to me. You can go to a health food store and look for a urinary supplement. I give one to Shorty, he's been doing well since I started him. He was having on and off issues.
What kind was it (name brand) - what should I be looking for on the label?

·
Registered
917 Posts
The supplement I got is Nature's Way Urinary with cranberry. It has cranberry, cleavers, corn silk, dandelion, marshmallow and goldenseal in it. My vet also gave him a chinese mix called Eight Righteous, it's a powder. Another thing I'd look into is milk thistle and adding apple cider vinegar with mother to the water. Braggs is a brand of ACV that most grocery stores carry now.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The supplement I got is Nature's Way Urinary with cranberry. It has cranberry, cleavers, corn silk, dandelion, marshmallow and goldenseal in it. My vet also gave him a chinese mix called Eight Righteous, it's a powder. Another thing I'd look into is milk thistle and adding apple cider vinegar with mother to the water. Braggs is a brand of ACV that most grocery stores carry now.
I'm not sure what "adding apple cider vinegar with mother to the water" means

Do you know the dosage on the supplements?

·
Registered
917 Posts
ACV with mother, it has the good bacteria in it. They call it mother, it's used to make vinegar. Odd wording, but that is how it's labeled. I add a cap full to the water dish, so everyone gets it. It's probably about a teaspoon. For other supplements doses vary depending on the weight of the dog and the strength of the supplements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts