Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10yr old male Rat Terrier/Dochsund mix. He's normally very sweet, rarely gets in trouble (and if he does it's normally for using the restroom in the house), he barks at the doorbell/when someone knocks. August he had an inflamed disk in his neck that went away after the vet gave him an anti inflammation medication and it hasn't swelled up since. October we moved to a new house with more room for him to run and play. Mid-November he had his teeth cleaned and took about a week for his stomach to be settled. Mid-December he started acting different. He vomits white foam in the morning, but not if he eats a snack before bed. He's started barking at random noises and takes longer to get quiet. And he's started growling when he gets in trouble and snapped at me once. He's become destructive (he destroyed a toilet paper roll and chewed up a door frame). He's still sweet and doesn't seem like he's in pain anywhere. I've looked up the symptoms of senile dogs and dementia but I'm not sure he has either or if he's just unhappy? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Trying to stay away from the vet right now but if he gets worse/hurt I will take him.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Doesn't sound like dementia. The dogs I have known that have dementia, are just confused, and can't seem to get it together, like standing in the middle of the street and not seeming to know what to do, or which way to go. He may be in pain, they really mask pain well. I would think another trip to the Vet would be in order.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts