Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Athena from Animal Control and I was curious to know what she could be mixed with. I know she is part Boxer but I don't think she is full because her nose doesn't scrunch and point up like most. I saw a picture of a Plott Hound and thought maybe she could be mixed with that because of her ears when naturally relaxed, eyes, and some of her body build. Once she smells something she thinks is interesting you have to kind of pull her off the scent otherwise she'll just drag you to where ever the scent ends haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Do you have a better side view? How much does she weigh? Boxer/Plott looks spot on. I love her name!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a better side view of her standing up, and she is sleeping right now haha. I will try to get one of her tomorrow though. She is normally around 58- 60lbs, but she just got over tapeworms so right now she only weighs around 53lbs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
OMG, she exactly fits my prey pattern. I wouldn't have left her at the shelter either...

The pic with the side view of the head looks Pointer to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG, she exactly fits my prey pattern. I wouldn't have left her at the shelter either...

The pic with the side view of the head looks Pointer to me.

Yeah once I saw her I kind of knew. I still went and looked at all the other dogs but she was always there in the back of my mind. I didn't even think pointer, now I have to go look up some pics haha

·
Registered
573 Posts
I love that dog.
On the first one of the new pics she almost looks like there could have been some Dane in the mix.
Do you know how old she is? She might change and fill in still...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love her too :)
I never thought of dane, she is pretty leggy and tall though.
The vet thinks she's about 3 now. Really? That'd be cool :)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
at three she's probly full grown.

I definetly see boxer, and I do have to note that I've seen some longer snouted boxers. Hound would certinally be possible though, especially if the breed is common in your area. We've got quite a few Plotts in my area and as a result they and their crosses get cycled through the local shelters fairly often.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, but it'd be cool if she did.

Where they pure bred? Do you think she just might be a poorly bred boxer? I got her when I was living in Savannah, Ga. I heard plotts are common along the appalachian mountains, they end around the top part of northern Georgia so I guess it could be possible? I kind of want to get a dna test done just to know her make up. I've heard mixed reviews about the wisdom panels though, so I think I'd have to do the actual blood work.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I've seen her in a few of your other posts, but I haven't commented yet! Athena is gorgeous, I wouldn't have left her there either (my dog's sister is at the shelter back home and thank goodness it's a 1 hour drive, otherwise I would have 2 Remys!). Definitely boxer, couldn't she be mixed with something non brindle and get the brindle from her boxer part?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
The ears are definitely hound-y. But yeah, she could also just be a poorly bred boxer. For some reason, I see some mastiff (like Presa), but her size kinda negates that.

Plott does seem pretty spot-on. She is gorgeous, by the way. And if that picture is her in your house.... YOU HAVE A REALLY COOL HOUSE AND I LIKE IT!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen her in a few of your other posts, but I haven't commented yet! Athena is gorgeous, I wouldn't have left her there either (my dog's sister is at the shelter back home and thank goodness it's a 1 hour drive, otherwise I would have 2 Remys!). Definitely boxer, couldn't she be mixed with something non brindle and get the brindle from her boxer part?
Thanks! Aww that's sad, I hope they find a really nice home for her. I have no clue, I don't really know much about coloring of dogs. I think that could be possible though. When I get back to the states I'm really thinking about getting the blood work done, just to know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ears are definitely hound-y. But yeah, she could also just be a poorly bred boxer. For some reason, I see some mastiff (like Presa), but her size kinda negates that.

Plott does seem pretty spot-on. She is gorgeous, by the way. And if that picture is her in your house.... YOU HAVE A REALLY COOL HOUSE AND I LIKE IT!
This lady that I knew in Ga used to have mastiffs and she said I think something about her mouth and neck? Athena does have loose skin around her neck like a puppy, but she's done growing. I was just thinking maybe plott because her chest is deep, she has big feet, her ears are kind of like a hounds when she is relaxed, and when she smells something she has to follow it. I'm really trying to work on that though, we have to get better with recall. The photo that's outside with the white wall and the grates on the windows is the current house I'm staying in, in el salvador. It's a really nice house. :) Oh and thanks! Garp is really handsome :) I wish my dad's pitbull was as toned as he is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same breed!!

We have the same dog as you, we saw your pics and saw our dog. We got our dog in Oregon at an animal shelter too! However, ours is a boy named Finn. We know he is boxer and I think Plott hound.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
You might want to post this on the same thread so the OP reads it. Beautiful dog!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts