Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've posted before, I just recently adopted my 1.5yr old hound mix. They informed us he had kennel cough once at the shelter. He was treated and then he was good since we adopted him.

As of yesterday, he's began coughing. Today he even started gagging. Is it possible he still had kennel cough? Or could it be allergies?

He has his first vet appointment on Tuesday so I will bring it up to them. But I was wondering if we should take him in sooner.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If his cough continues to get worse, maybe you can move your Tuesday appointment up to tomorrow or Friday. Kennel cough is really horrible for them, they cough so much. There is a vaccine for it, though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
how long ago did he have kennel cough at the shelter? if it was many months ago, he sure could have it again (there is very little immunity maintained from an episode of this disease- dogs can get it over and over, though usually there is at least some period of relative immunity after the illness... maybe for 6 months or more?)

But there are many reasons a dog can cough, aside from kennel cough. And many coughs sound similar, despite having different causes. Taking your dog to the vet is a g good idea, but do not be surprised if the cause of the cough is not diagnosed... many coughs are very difficult to work out the causes of, and if nothing shows up on an x-ray, then it becomes a guessing game, unless further testing is done. Many of those coughing dogs are treated symptomatically, and often that works well. Allergies as a cause of coughing, however, are not common (at least in my area).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts