Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed Bifen I/t Insecticide in my bathroom to kill roaches, I took a shower and forgot to shut the bathroom door back bella came out licking her lips, I don't know if she drunk any poison, Drunk water that dripped off of me, or drunk out of the toilet (it had lysol toilet bowl cleaner in it) She has not started acting sick yet, it just happened. I can't get her to the vet they change 120$ just to show up not including any treatment and if you can't afford the emergency fee they won't see you and I don't have 120$ due to recent school charges and my medical bills recently. I am freaking out not sure what I could do. I haven't induced vomiting because I heard chemicals can burn the esophagus coming back up and make things worse, I have no idea if she even got into the poison or the toilet (which also had toilet bowl cleaner) how long would it take her to get sick if she did get into something
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sprayed about 2 hours ago but it takes a long time to dry, No she was not in the bathroom with me while my shower she was with my mom in the living room I came out of the room forgetting to shut the door behind me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not from the shower itself because it's a bathtub with a shower head she can't get in the tub but it is possible she licked it off the floor she seems okay just sleeping now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,884 Posts
You can call the animal poison control hotline.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

There may be a consultation fee, but it is cheaper than the emergency vet. You can tell them the chemicals she may have gotten into and they can advise whether to induce vomiting, take her in ASAP, whether you can wait and instead just get some charcoal or something from the vet in the AM etc. They can tell you what symptoms to look for with that specific toxin. Sometimes dogs get sick. Sometimes they can go into kidney failure. Sometimes they get neurological symptoms. The downside is that if they tell you that you have to get your dog in NOW, you end up paying the emergency fee AND the consultation fee. But hopefully that won't be necessary.

If you can call your e-vet, they also might be able to give you some info about toxicity and what signs to look for. Just remember that they will generally always tell you to come in because it's a liability if they don't. It's not that they're after money or don't want to help. It's more that they're worried about giving incorrect advise when they are unable to see and assess the dog, and neither of you have any way of knowing how much the dog actually ingested.

I generally discourage the use of poisons in the house and yard when pets are involved except when you hire a professional exterminator. Things like this are just not the risk IMO. There are other ways to control pests. And if an infestation is very bad, a professional is pretty much the only option anyway!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't afford the consultation fee either we called for another dog that got into rat poison they wanted 70 and since we didn't have it they hung up we managed to borrow a care credit card and got her to the vet i have no money at all in my bank account
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
There is an excellent book out called "The Hundred Year Lie" about chemicals and their effects on us. Probably in your library.
A lot of vets are ripoffs and drug pushers, just like the medical mafia is with humans.
Our dog once ate rat poison and we induced vomiting with peroxide, chopped meat and dry food mixed together.
Cut back on those chemicals and use the internet to search for alternatives. They're out there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've already looked online nothing worked and someone recommended the chemical we got. We had to do something since nothing else seemed to kill then
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
I was going to post this in the battery thread but it is closed. I figured I should still share it so I'll post it here...
@Bryansgirl. I strongly suggest that as soon as you are back on your feet financially you start an emergency vet fund for Bella.

I don't share this much because it's something that I'm ashamed of, part of the reason that Jersey passed away is that I did not have the money to taker her into the e-vet. She got horridly sick while I was away visiting family at Christmas. The person I had caring for her and Shadow did not let me know that she was ill, so by the time I got home she was skin and bones. My regular vet was closed, as were all the vets in the area, for the holidays, to walk through the doors of the e-vet and just get him to look at her would cost $160, not counting treatment. $160 was about how much I had in my account, I opted to wait the 2 days it would take them to open back up for regular hours, and I still to this day kick myself for doing so. She passed away early Sunday morning, the vet opened back up on Monday. Now I'll always wonder if she could have been saved, and it was a very painful, heartbreaking, lesson on planning ahead for emergency cost. I was like you my dogs got to the vet regularly, they were up to date on all their shots, got their heartworm preventative, they went in if they were sick to see the vet, they were well fed and had everything they needed; BUT, like you, when my girl needed emergency vet care I could not provide it. You got lucky and Bella has so far been fine, my luck ran out and my girl, who might have been saved I'll never know, paid with her life.

As I said, I don't often share that at all but if it will get you, or someone else, to start putting aside money for an emergency vet fund and spare their self and their dog any of that then it's worth sharing. Please learn from my mistake, it's simply not worth making it yourself and learning that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
Rain, thanks for sharing your experience with Jersey. I think many have been or could be at some time in the future, in a similar situation. We do the best we can and sometimes it's not enough or it feels that way. (((Hugs)))

Your suggestion to have a fund or some other plan for emergencies is an important message.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top