Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow dog lovers. I made an account here because I have an issue, and since I'm home alone and can't go to the vet at the moment (not for another couple of hours) I want a few opinions.

Last night I was taking my dog Shadow (she's a pitbull/lab mix) out so she can go to the bathroom. I was walking with her, and I pass by the barbecue and she stops. I look over and notice she's right by a black widow and its web. I try to get her to leave the area and back inside, but she gets excited by my sudden movement and walks right through it. She stops, turns around and faces me and the black widow is dangling off her face. I freak out, run to get a paper towel or anything I can get it off with, but it's off and crawling on the ground. I bring her inside, wipe the web off and check her out. I don't see any bumps and I stay up with her for another half hour just to make sure she's okay.

This morning I wake up and my mom says she threw up. I told her about the black widow incident, and a little while after that I notice this red mark on the back of her leg above her paw. Now my dog has allergies, really bad. We give her shots once a month and give a couple Benadryls daily, but she still bites herself a lot. I don't know if that was there before the black widow incident, so I don't know if it's a bite. Of course I google "black widow bites on dogs" and I think it looks similar.

Here's the mark

Does anyone have any experience with their dog getting bit? Does this look similar? She's acting the same, aside from throwing up. And yes, we do plan on taking her to the vet. But I'm sitting here and freaking out and I just need help right now.

Thank you.

·
Banned
418 Posts
I think if it was a black widow bite she would be dead by now, I know someone who was bit and started hallucinating immediately and they said if he wasn't at the doctor when he was he could have died, black widow bites usually kill very soon, but I would still take her to the vet when you can to be safe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure how long it takes for a black widow bite to kill a dog. I read online it can take 20 hours for the dog to become paralyzed, but that's all I know. It has only been about 12 hours if she was bitten.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
They generally won't kill a dog so long as prompt medical care is given. From what I'm reading by now your dog should still be in some pain if that is a bite from a black widow, her breathing may be effected and watch for paralysis.
Black Widow Spider Bites on Dogs | First Aid for Dogs - Pet360 Pet Parenting Simplified

If she's not having any symptoms besides the sore on her paw hopefully she was not bit and she'll be alright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's fine :). I may have been overly paranoid, but I love my dog dearly and I don't want anything bad happening to her! But she's still acting normal, she's running around playing fetch with her daddy. I don't believe she was bit, because her leg isn't sore and my aunt said to check if the cut was hot, since that would indicate a spider bite, and it wasn't.

So relieved she's okay!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts