Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My 5 year old Chihuahua, "Bosco", is two pounds overweight. He's gained two pounds in one month, without a change in diet or exercise. He also just recently started losing small patches of hair around his body. The largest spot, is on his back hip -- which I also noticed, the muscle seems to have, "shrunk or sucked in" in that area. There is a noticeable difference in the muscle mass between both sides. Bosco walks with a slight limp, but his overall mood is good, and he doesn't appear to be in pain. The affected areas of hair loss have no bumps, and aren't itchy.

I brought him to the vet, and the vet thought that it was a fungal infection -- which makes sense for the hair loss, but not the muscle... Bosco was prescribed Ketoconazole pills, and was given a topical antifungal cream.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with their fur baby?

Thank you for your time and input!

Respectfully,
Ken McCabe

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Autoimmune disorders are really difficult to deal with. Ours developed an autoimmune disorder, about 3 and a half years ago. The drugs required to mute her immune system so it would stop attacking her, had so many side effects, we were all miserable for those four or five months, She is now in remission, but to keep her there, requires medication daily and will for the rest of her life. We are fortunate, her outcome has been pretty good so far, at least, but we know there is always a possibility of a sudden flareup, which we hope will never happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your response. I'm glad that she is in remission, and hope that she lives a long, happy life. Waiting for a vet appointment, for next week. We'll see what happens. Be well, stay safe & healthy over there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts