Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video of my lovely assistant Jayne demonstrating that e-collars are not necessary to teach an off leash recall (like so many hound owners tried to convince me)--even in the woods--even with a breed no exactly known for sticking around. I trained this over the course of two years with nothing but a long line, hotdogs, cheese, and my voice. ;D My favorite thing is when she's nowhere to be seen and I call her and hear the bells slowly get louder and louder until I see her. :D (This video was taken last summer when she gained a little weight, so don't mind the extra pudge. :p)

https://youtu.be/yM_SDIJahe4

·
Banned
295 Posts
She's adorable! I love hounds. So cute!

I wish I had two years to devote to teaching my dogs to recall, but time really is of the essence in my situation. I could post a video of Pete recalling perfectly even when his trigger (neighbors passing on four-wheeler, golf cart, etc.) is taking place. He learned that in a day. Had I relied on +R and it took as long as it took you with Janie, I'd still have a dog that I cannot rely on to recall (as it's only been a little over a year since he learned it). I needed him to learn it as quickly as possible, and maybe some think that means I'm a bad owner or trainer for using a "quick fix" but when the behavior is risking the dog's safety, I think it's worth it.

I live alone on 7.5 acres with 3 horses, 3 dogs, and 2 cats. I teach full time, and I am 100% responsible for the care and upkeep of this place, myself, and every animal on it. And I'm not getting any younger, LOL (I'll be 42 in March). I live for my animals. They're my family, my life. So it kind of burns me up a little when people on this forum seem to suggest that using an e-collar is lazy, thoughtless, cruel training. It really does.

No offense meant to you, OP. Your dog is lovely and you've done a great job with her. But this seems to be a spin-off of the other thread, and as one of the main contributors who has shared that I use an e-collar on my dogs to teach recall, I cannot help but take this "see, you don't need an e-collar" type of thing a little personally.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It took me two weeks to teach recall with +R on my farm after trying for a year and a half with dragging him in on a long line and ecollar training. It can be done ! Don't sell positive training short !

I have a wild gsd/husky so I know what it's like to have a breed not known for behavior off lead :) Hunter was a stray so he's used to his freedom.

Sorry can't see the vid, my phone is being weird :/
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
286 Posts
thats amazing and gives me hope for our hound Ben. We had a lovely but not really relaxing walk today, as, as soon as we entered the park, he saw 2 squirrels, and he wouldnt stop pulling on the lead after that.
it was a nice day, and there was lots of dogs there off the leash playing, i so wish he could join in. i must get one of those long leads. how old is your dog?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice job! I have to agree with Gretchenpc though. 2 years? That is an awful long time to get a reliable recall.
I do not use e collars with my newer dog (had her for about 3 months now), but heck, her recall success rate is around 90% at the moment. I would use a long line, walk a few feet away when she is distracted and then gently tug the leash (she was wearing a harness) and then give the command. When she came to me, treat or toy. Pretty standard way of teaching a recall. We have two acres of farmland and I can recall her all over the property by now.
I have seen even speedier results with an e collar but have never needed it for this particular dog.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Training takes time, there's not supposed to be a quick and easy fix. Training a beagle to be off leash in the woods is not something that is going to be easy and quick. Some dogs take a longer time to have a 100% reliable high distraction recall. There's some dogs that pick it up right away and there are some that never do.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why does everyone feel the need to have their dog trained so fast? Training is a lifetime job, not something you crank out as fast as you can.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i think it just depends on the breed of dog. with some you have an easy game, but others you know it is going to take allot of time and patience.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Why does everyone feel the need to have their dog trained so fast? Training is a lifetime job, not something you crank out as fast as you can.
Have you seen our society today? Everything is quick-fix, instant gratification. Anything you have to work for is not worth the effort and so on.

I'm very impressed with Jayne's recall. My herding breeds have (mostly) picked up recall very, very fast - my spaniel is a little more challenging but he's coming around. He's just a little harder to gain the attention of when his nose hits the ground :)

To me, recall isn't one of those emergency instances where an ecollar would be warranted. Good recall is important, but management until you get there is possible as well. And while some dogs could potentially handle it, I shudder to think what would happen if I put one on my already high-strung, anxious little guy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So cute!! I am not sure if you can see it, but here is my video of my 6 month old puppy demonstrating his recall!! It may get worse when he starts to get older and more distractable, but so far teaching through +R has worked really well on his sensitive Akita brain.

It is certainly best to use positive reinforcement to do this kind of thing, but as many people on here have logically demonstrated, special needs call for specially tailored training.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=604682096338040&id=100003887643132

·
Registered
172 Posts
Recalls are a lifesaving command and need to be learned as quickly as possible. I do not want to risk my dogs life just because I "want to take it slow."

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree. But accidents do happen. Any dog could slip out the door or even slip a collar.

A note on the second video. One of my dogs who was trained with positive punishement (as well as positive ) is just as excited to obey the recall. Why does everyone make it out like any punishment based methods immediately destroy the bond between dog and human? Seriously, I use both positive and negative and my dogs are as happy as they can be.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Positive reinforcement leads to much more reliable results !

I don't think you can promote positive punishmebt training methods on this forum !

I agree, if your dog doesn't have good recall keep in on a leash or in a fenced area ! It's not as hard or as risky as people try to make out. My last dog (before I really knew what I was doing) spend his whole life either in a fenced area or on leash. He was just fine and he never got away from me. I completely disagre that it should be learned as quickly as possible, it should be taught as reliably as possible ! No need to punish your dog because you want a quick bandaid fix....

Also, teach an emergency sit !

Good luck when your dog "gets away" from you and you don't have your ecollar to punish him into coming to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
172 Posts
Woah, calm down! I wasn't promoting, just sharing experience. None of my dogs are trained with e collars as I never had to
I have met many well balanced dogs that where trained with e collars, most being trained in schutzhund. Using positive punishement along with +R those not mean I beat my dogs with a stick, jesus! ;)
I look at all training methods and use what is best for my dogs. If you have achieved every one of your training goals with +R, great! I have ZERO issues with it and am not going to insult you because you have different opinions on training.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Way too many people have been promoting positive punishment on this forum lately, something I have never seen here before, and frankly find sad.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
172 Posts
As far as I can tell, people have been talking about their experience, not promoting it. Training is a sensitive issue, and it is important to look at both sides. Don't assume that just because someone uses different methods means that they are abusing their dog.
+R is wonderful, and it's nice to see that dog owners are using it. Especially for novice owners, +R is great.
However, having worked with many different dogs in shelters, it is clear that the same training those not work for every dog. I think that keeping an open mind is very important when it comes to a subject like this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was. Nobody was asking for help in that topic, and nobody was pushing +P onto anyone. We were discussing the topic in a polite topic. Honestly, it seems like the +R is the more agressive bunch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts