Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was given a portable crate to keep at my parent's house but I am thinking I want to get one for camping, etc.

This is the one we have at my parents:

These are the ones I am looking at:

Do you guys have experience with any types?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I only have the black metal ones sorry and now an airline crate thats damn heavy and big for Jessies small size! Depends on the dog would he stratch/tear it apart to get out etc?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have wire crates, plastic crates and soft fabric crates. It depends on your dog and your needs/preferences. Wire crates alow air to circulate and all round view. Good if that's what your dog needs and like. You can get covers for them though.

Dogs who like more den like cosy corner might be better in a fabric crate, as long as they're not likely to chew or rip. Fabric crates that I have are very light and easy to set up and fold again. Plastic ones? I don't use mine anymore, prefer the other types.

Where is your dog going to sleep when camping? Inside your tent/mobile home/awning/annex?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@icemaiden I have a 6 person tent (I got it on sale for less than a small one) and I would place the crate inside but he would still need to be crated as that is now he sleeps at home and minor changes seem to throw him off.

At home he sleeps in a plastic crate, and seems to love his "den".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just hauled along Brisbane's plastic crate along on some of our camping trips. He likes a cozy corner and appreciates the folding fabric ones like in your last picture. They're lightweight, fast to set up, and easy to clean since the whole cover comes off. Only problem is that they're not as secure, and Brisbane ripped his way out of one years ago at a squirrel-infested trial.

·
Registered
813 Posts
@icemaiden I have a 6 person tent (I got it on sale for less than a small one) and I would place the crate inside but he would still need to be crated as that is now he sleeps at home and minor changes seem to throw him off.

At home he sleeps in a plastic crate, and seems to love his "den".
Then I would stick to what he is familiar with - same crate as at home. :) Would it be a problem to take that crate with you?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I would stick to what he is familiar with - same crate as at home. :) Would it be a problem to take that crate with you?
No, I would just have to take the Jeep because it doesn't fit in my Mini Cooper even broken down (small car problems).

I probably should condition Trucker to be okay with riding in the Jeep anyway, in case of car problems.

Reactions: icemaiden
1 - 7 of 7 Posts