Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed an increase in dog coats and dog clothing. I have heard that the popularity of such accessories are also popular in America. I know that practical dog coats have been around for years but there has been a rise in the number of boutiques selling unique dog clothes.

What i was wondering is whether this phenomenom is a one off, just running its course or whether it has been influnced by things such as the only way is essex.

Also i live in Liverpool and we only really see practical dog coats, however which cities are these more designer esk dog coats more popular. My guess would be London, Edinburgh, Essex.:)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Im in australia, where it can get a cold as -5 eek!
Plenty of practical dog coats higher in mountains for night time. But im seeing more and more 'costumes' or 'outfits' for dogs in pet shops nearer city. Your country stock feed business, certainly does not sell clown outfits for dogs lol.

Personally, my dogs are all weather dogs, that need that water proof coat. They need the sun on that coat, the rain on that coat to keep it working to keep them cool, and warm as the dogs coat should.
Wearing clothes or coats ruins the natural balance of oils in their coat. And they are unable to work with a coat on, so they dont wear human clothes as this actually hampers their natural coat functioning as it should.

IMO only: I find dogs in clothes (as opposed to practical coats in cold weather), upsetting and disrespectful to Dogs as a magnificent animal. However, it is an animal that had been bred hairless, or with a coat that is now impossible to maintain, or huskies who live in Australia's 40 degree heat etc. So some dogs feel the heat/cold as they are now bred and live in areas they are not suited to.
But many folks adore to dress their 'babies' up, and the dogs are unable to object so that's fine.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My maggie has a short coat and almost no body fat. I have three practical coats for her: a single layer fleece for chilly morning runs (like low 40s), a double layer fleece with belly protector for cold weather (30s and low) and a thick snow coat with snood for romping in the snow. Maggie is built like a sighthound and is always cold, its hard to get her outside when its cold just to go to the bathroom. I am not a big fan of dog costumes especially the ones that impair the dogs natural movements.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I see practical dog coats for large breed dogs and "designer" coats for smaller dogs. Since I have a large breed dog that has to wear a coat I can only really look at the farm stores.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My baby has all muscle no fat like a grey hounds. Cold weather and he is shaking like a jelly. I accidently shrunk my daughters Cashmere Ralph Lauren jumper and it now has a new owner.!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
to be honest, I find dressing up animals to be pretty ridiculous and corny. but I have two chihuahuas in Canada (it can easily get to -30 celcius here) so I finally bought them winter coats because otherwise they freeze the second they go outside. they HATE wearing the coats though, so I feel bad... they walk soooo sloooow in them! but at least they shiver less outdoors.

but dressing up your pets for "fashion" is hopefully just a trend that will soon disappear... they are dogs, not dolls!! I guess its better that dogs are "too loved" than neglected though!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312772_10151167083642616_325986198_n.jpg <-- in their new coats!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Viennah, your dog's may indeed be uncomfortable in those. Sometimes when they are styled too closely to human clothes, the makers forget that dogs' movements/anatomy are not the same. You might try a "horse blanket" styled coat--they don't have sleeves.

OP, We've used dog coats for over 10 years--practical ones, as we have sporting dogs. They can handle the winter weather (and do work without them--can't have a coat in the field, tangle hazard), but they are more comfortable with them on at home. Plus the human-perk is they don't get rained on (wet dog smell) and they stay cleaner. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
i've seen my share of practical dog clothing/accessories to the ludicrous. I don't mind practical clothing, such as winter coats and booties for short-haired dogs during frigid winters. however, the need to accessorize pets can border on the outrageous to plain stupid. but, people are free to make whatever choices they want with their pets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Viennah, your dog's may indeed be uncomfortable in those. Sometimes when they are styled too closely to human clothes, the makers forget that dogs' movements/anatomy are not the same. You might try a "horse blanket" styled coat--they don't have sleeves.
They had "vest" coats before that didn't have sleeves, but its their skinny little legs that are most susceptible to the cold, so I purposely got coats with sleeves. They didn't seem to mind in the store, they were going around to see all the customers in their coats, but they are not used to walking on long walks and especially running in clothes, so it takes them a while to understand. The bigger one won't walk in the coat unless he has a leash on, then he's fine. Dog logic! But every day they wear them it gets better and better. They don't object to putting them on, but when I pull out the coats, their excitement definitly decreases, and when I take the coats off they get the zoomies...

I think in a couple weeks from now they'll get used to it, and understand they can walk and run normaly in the coats, with or without a leash.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Maybe leash means fun walk? It might speed the comfort level up if you dole out lots of yummy treats every time you put them on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The doggies are getting used to the coats. They get excited when they seem them because they know it means walk time. They run a bit with them on now, even if overall they still walk slower than usual. I'm sure by the end of summer they will be fine with the coats!

Reactions: zoorun
1 - 12 of 12 Posts