Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work graveyard. Husband is home with a pinched nerve in his back. So our dogs were out in their yards for about 1/2 hour to potty and run around, while I was in the house with hubby for a bit after feeding the horses yesterday morning when I got home from work. Dogs started barking, so I went to bring them in. While coming back to the house with them, saw hubby and a sheriff outside. Sheriff asked if we were a rescue since we have a lot of animals (which includes our 8 dogs, all of which were outside enjoying the "cool" morning before it got to 100 degrees). Nope, just animal lovers! Anyhow, he said there are two shepherds in the wash (which is on the other side of my neighbor's house) and he was trying to find where they live. He said he knew where they used to live, but that guy no longer lives there (and it's quite a few miles from me!). We assumed he was going to call a rescue or humane society, so I went to bed. Of course, now I regret that assumption :(

Then at night on my way to work, I saw the dogs still there! :( I turned around and went home to get a bucket of water and some dog food for them. One was just laying there, I put the food between his front legs and he ate it. The other didn't want to be close to us, so I just put some food down for him. Held the water to the one laying and he drank. Then I had to leave, was already late. I called the humane society, but they are closed and no emergency line or anything after 7pm (this was almost 9pm).

Later hubby went there to check on them. They both let him pet them, so he went back home for leashes to try to take them home. They wouldn't let him near this time, he tried (in the middle of the night!) for an hour but no go.

Hopefully they're doing ok, they have water at least. I will call the humane society the second they open in the morning. Poor doggies :( I'm worried the one who lays down most of the time is hurt. Hubby said he was walking a bit, but he could tell it took some effort to lay back down :( I also assume they were dumped, as that happens frequently here :( They're in the wash (in Az, a wash is an empty area of sand except during times of heavy rain, which we haven't had in awhile and won't prob until July) but literally right at the road (just not in the road by inches or feet), and were there ALL DAY LONG in this heat :( The humane society picks up injured/endangered strays and gives them medical treatment, then if the owner isn't found they will be put up for adoption. If anyone has seen the show on animal planet called Animal Heroes Phoenix, that's them :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
OMG, how sad is that. Some ppl really need shooting that do that to dogs. Hope you are able to get through to someone. Thats just discusting. :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so upset :(

We called teh HS, and when they heard where we live, they said we had to call the Maricopa pound (guess they think we're too far, even though we're not really that far out!)

So we did. And they said they'd come get the dogs. They did NOT :( Still there!

Hubby checked on them in the day and they were keeping cooler by staying under bushes/trees. Filled up their water on my way to work, they still had food from whoever else is helping take care of them.

There is a horse rescue down the road, I emailed them and told them about the dogs, hopefully they can take them in, or know a local rescue who can. In the meantime, we will continue to make sure they have food and water. Sigh.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Poor dogs, I hope that some sort of rescue takes them in soon :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh no this is so sad..how can people be so cruel. But then there's people like you...:)
I don't understand why the HS won't help...on TV they always seem to help any animal whenever wherever...great. Reality is a different matter I suppose... *roll eyes* I hope the dogs will be collected very soon and looked after properly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news :)

I guess MACC (Maricopa Animal Care and Control) DID come out, but couldn't catch them. So they came out again Friday, and with hubby's help, they got them :)
In reality, they dont' have a good chance of getting a new home. They're older, I think the one has a medical condition, and MACC doens't give them much time. However, being euthed is MUCH better than suffering in 105 degree heat or getting hit by a car. And of course I can hope that they DO get adopted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We live by a wash too here in AZ. It is a favorite place for people to dump animals too. We have seen so many dogs that had been dumped. But lately ac is watching and picking up the abandoned animals. When we first moved here they wouldn't even come out when we called them. Several times I tried to catch dogs. But they would just run out in the desert where we couldn't catch them. This Valentines Day our son was coming from town and saw a dog at the wash. The dog followed the car. So he stopped and as soon as he and his girl friend got out and walked up to the female dog, she laid down and wanted a belly rub. He put her in the car and brought her home. He decided to keep her.He named her Valentine. She is a Pit bull. She is so sweet and good natured. There has been a lot of Pitbulls abandoned down at the wash. My son thinks she had just been dropped off, just before he came back from town, because she wasn't in the wash when he headed to town. We got her spayed and licensed and got her shots, so that it would be easier to get her a good home. But we all fell in love with her so she now has a home with us. One other tme I saw a black and white Pitbull at the wash. It was trying to eat garbage that had been dumped. It was so skinny. I had just got groceries so I stopped and got out and tried to get it to come to me with some lunch meat. But it was so scared, it ran off down the wash and then into the desert. I went back but never saw it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts