Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooping on sofa, in shoes, and other confusing behavior

41K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  TeamHAA 
#1 ·
Let me apologize in advance for this long entry.

I am a first time dog owner.
My grandmother passed away 2 years ago and she asked me on her death bed to take care of her beloved dog gigi.
She is a sweet 5 pound japanese chin.
She was an only pet and my grandmother spent almost every waking hour with her.
She was " potty trained" and used puppy pads ( I assume, because my gran lived in a high rise and was not able to walk the dog several times a day.)

So, after my gran passed, I adopted gigi and although she was distressed, her vet instructed me on how to comfort her and I thought she had made the transition from her old home to ours.

In the last 2 months she has exhibited some strange behavior.
She had pooped inside my shoes, on my sofa and she will sometimes hop off my lap, walk over to the tv, book shelf or some other area in my view and she wil look me right in the eye and pee! On the carpet!

My husband is furious and wants do find her another home but I know that with the proper training, and information we can solve this problem.

I don't know where to start, I went to petco to talk to them about training and they mostly wanted to sell me on getting her to do tricks.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
first, has she been to see the vet for an exam recently? it is important that possible medical issues be ruled out before you assume it is behavioral

second, what is she eating?

third, read this sticky as it explains the details of house training. any time a dog is new to a living situation, you should start over with potty training... all the way back at the beginning. if she was used to using potty pads, then you will need to continue using them, at least while you are training her where you'd like her to go

finally, i would recommend that you get something called DAP (dog appeasing pheramone) you can get a diffuser or a collar form, it will help to alleviate whatever stress the dog is going through

oh, i almost forgot, this is really important, you must post pics!

#6 ·
Thanks so much for the replying so soon!
She was at the vet the 2nd of jan for a teeth cleaning and routine check up. I'm feeding her a wee bit by sold gold. Ill probably be back @ the vet soon to get some advantage so I guess I could ask the vet if there is another medical reason for all of this.
Ill do my best to geta photo up. I'm doing this on my mobile phone so may take a little while :)
Are the pheramone collars only sold onine?

Thanks again!

#8 ·
Okay, I'm starting to believe this isn't a potty training issue.
I took her out today ( as per the potty training instructions.) She peed and pooped a few times right before we went in.
Then, when we got back in, she was very happy.. running around, chasing her tail.. things like that. My neighbor come over and asked for some help with her tv, I went next door and gigi was barking and howling so loud! ( I didn't think too much of it because she always makes a bit of a fuss when I leave.)
I was gone at the most 15 minutes. When I got back, she had peed on my new leather boots!!
I don't know what to do! I didn't tell my husband I just looked at her and said " gigi.no. bad." And threw them away but now I'm considering doing kennel training like the "potty instructions" advised.
I feel conflicted because I'm not home during the day and I would feel bad keeping her locked up.

#9 ·
She may have some level of separation anxiety. When a dog pees on something that has your scent (shoes, bed, etc) that can be a sign of SA. This is not "out of spite" that a dog does this, although its easy for humans to interpret it that way.

Yes, I think doing the house training starting with the crate is a good thing to do. Scolding after the fact probably won't really help, and may in fact increase her anxiety.

Establish a nice calm routine for when you leave her in the crate. Make it as pleasant as possible, with a nice toy, perhaps a kong with food in it. Leave for short time periods and come back. Be very calm about it, both leaving and returning. Maybe others can chime in on this too.

#13 ·
So, since my last panicked post I have taken gigi to the vet, and was given the number of a trainer.
I called him and he charged 200.00 for 3 hours of in home instruction.
I don't know, that seems a bit high, and he didn't really answer my concerns on the phone so, I decided to "pass" on his help.

I got gigi groomed and spent a lot of time with her for a few days (on the weekend ) and, i bought a bag of treats and every time I go out, or go upstairs I give her a treat. she hasn't been barking nearly as much as before and there has not been any bad behavior.

when I am not home to walk her, she goes on the pad with no problems.

so, I think I might try to keep doing this.
After watching the youtube video, I tried to figure out where to put a gate / inclosure the the one shown... our kitchen and bathroom are too narrow and the rest of our place is carpeted.

should i just keep doing what im doing? or should i purchase an inclosed kennel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.