Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
first, has she been to see the vet for an exam recently? it is important that possible medical issues be ruled out before you assume it is behavioral

second, what is she eating?

third, read this sticky as it explains the details of house training. any time a dog is new to a living situation, you should start over with potty training... all the way back at the beginning. if she was used to using potty pads, then you will need to continue using them, at least while you are training her where you'd like her to go

finally, i would recommend that you get something called DAP (dog appeasing pheramone) you can get a diffuser or a collar form, it will help to alleviate whatever stress the dog is going through

oh, i almost forgot, this is really important, you must post pics!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
She may have some level of separation anxiety. When a dog pees on something that has your scent (shoes, bed, etc) that can be a sign of SA. This is not "out of spite" that a dog does this, although its easy for humans to interpret it that way.

Yes, I think doing the house training starting with the crate is a good thing to do. Scolding after the fact probably won't really help, and may in fact increase her anxiety.

Establish a nice calm routine for when you leave her in the crate. Make it as pleasant as possible, with a nice toy, perhaps a kong with food in it. Leave for short time periods and come back. Be very calm about it, both leaving and returning. Maybe others can chime in on this too.
ditto this ^^^^

and you may want to try a set up like the one in this video for her:

the DAP product i described before is IME immensely helpful for this sort of situation SA and that is what i use it for...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.