Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog Prince has been mostly model behavior his entire time with us since he was roughly 3 months old. He's almost 3 years old now. This past month has been a bit of a trial for us and I'm starting to want to tear my hair out in frustration.

He's always been exceptionally good about telling us if he needs to go out, he gets jumpy, playful and a little toe nippy and we get the idea. He gets 3 walks a day, 6 am, 2-3pm and about 6-7pm at night. He will almost always poop on each walk.

This last month, about 2 times a week, and in one week, 3 times in one day, he's pooped in the house and never made a single peep. And after the first two times when we realized it wasn't just a one-off accident we kept an eye on him, and made sure we were paying attention.

Since then, I've lost count how many times he's hid in the corner and pooped there (he has three spots he poops in, and we've scrubbed them as thorough as we can to get rid of what someone told us was enzyme markers or something that told him he's pooped there before).

After the first wave, we scrubbed the apartment top to bottom thinking it was a stomach bug. We got new food, scrubbed and sanitized his bowls. He was fine for two weeks. He was back to being kenneled for those two weeks after the end of the first incidents resulting in me walking into bed at 2 am and he'd jumped off the bed and pooped in the bedroom.

He'd behaved well for those two weeks, so we thought he was back on track, let him on the bed, and on the second night, he regurgitated something (no idea what) and snacked on it for a while and drooled through a comforter, top sheet, bed sheet, mattress foam pad and the mattress pad. So we washed everything again and he went back to the kennel. Two days later, he's 2.5 weeks poop on the floor free (but not vomit free) and he had 3 walks today and pooped in the living room again.

I'm more or less at my wit's end right now. I don't know what else it could be, there have been no environmental changes. The only changes we made were after he first started with the strenuous cleaning and new food bags.

We also implemented a treat-after-successful-outside-poop after the first string of incidents, which we thought was doing well.

I need help, I'm not sure what to do anymore.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sudden behavioral changes (including bathroom behavior) always warrants a vet trip for me. It's really an animal's only way of letting you know something may be wrong with them.

I'm a little confused about the vomit thing. Was someone present when this happened? Did nobody stop him from ingesting what he already regurgitated? If you vomit, it's usually the body trying to expel something making them ill. It does no good to put that stuff back into the body. And drooling so excessive that it soaks all of those materials? Not normal in the least. Definitely suspicious amd warrants a trip to the vet. Imo.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Definitely get him to a vet... His behavior has changed, and now vomiting.

Also, while you said you were treating him for pooping outside, you never mentioned what your reaction was towards him inside after finding out he pooped.
If you are giving him negative reactions (such as scoldings) then that doesn't help at all in his training.

But, given what you said - it sounds like he was trained... so this sudden change in behavior and now vomiting... getting him to the vet and check out should be done fairly quickly.

Stormy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were sleeping when he vomited. He was on top of the bed and I woke up to excessive chewing/munching noises and flipped on the light. We'll definitely schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So we got an appointment in today, and that was a very long appointment. It took about an hour and a half. Turns out he has an ear infection, possible yeast infection on his skin, most likely allergic to what he's eating and we're starting an elimination diet, starting him on salmon first.

A bit of an exhausting and long appointment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts