Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

My Yorkie puppy is now six months old and a full of life bouncing boy :) We have no issues with toilet training during the day and he always asks to go out in the garden but we are finding that overnight, he has started pooping on the floor almost every night.
Our normal routine is that we come downstairs about 8am and that's when we find the poop. I don't say any thing anymore, I just lett him out into the garden to go to the toilet. I can tell by his body language he knows he has done something naughty because he skulks about and doesn't come running over to greet us like he used to because he has pooped on the floor. He is then fed his breakfast about 9-10am which is 20g of Arden Grange mini adult.
I do try to take him out during the day time for some off lead running around, he normally has a poop mid afternoon and then he said his dinner at approximately 5pm which is another 20g of the same food.
He then goes out for a walk with my husband between 8-9pm, during that he has another poop and then we lock him downstairs in our lounge for the night any time from 9:30-11pm depending on how long we stay downstairs and watch TV.

When we first go up, he does sometimes whine/howl for five minutes tops and then we don't hear from him again but the continual pooping on the floor is now becoming an issue. It to be every 3rd/4th nights he would poop but he is now pooped for the last four nights in a row and he does it in the same area on the carpet in the lounge which is becoming a problem.

I don't really know what to do to eliminate this pooping but I don't really want to bring him upstairs and I don't really see why he is choosing to poop on the floor because he is fed and walked and has a poop before we go to bed. We always let him out as the very last thing we do as well and he never pees on the carpet over night.

I spoke to my dog trainer and she said it could either be something outside making him anxious or because he can't hold his and self that long but we never had this issue with our old are your key and he was on the exact same routine. With our other dog we had (collie x lab) she used to still do this around this age so we began creating her at night and after two weeks of been created every evening and not toileting, she was then allowed upstairs and she never picked on the floor again unless she had a dodgy stomach.

It's driving me mad because I don't know what to do to stop him pooping? He then in turn doesn't come running to greet us and is very quiet because he knows he's done wrong. He used to come running up the stairs first thing in the morning when my husband would go down and jump on the bed full of excitement that we had come back to see him but now he just sits in the corner even though we don't even reference the toileting because he knows it's wrong and I don't like to see him feeling like that :(
On the days we come downstairs and he hasn't pooped we give him lots of praise and fuss but I really just don't know what to do now to stop him toileting on the floor?
If anyone has any ideas, I would be very interested to hear them :) x

·
Registered
347 Posts
First off. Your dog doesn't feel bad for pooping on the floor. He had to poop, so he did. He clearly doesn't know that he's not allowed to poop in the house. His change in behaviour in the morning is probably related to something else. You said you don't say anything anymore about him pooping on the floor, but if you did previously it might be that he's assuming that you coming downstairs in the morning = him getting yelled at. Only takes a couple times of this happening for them to make the association.

I would start by crating him at night instead of giving him free roam of the room downstairs. Is there a reason that you don't want him in your bedroom at night? Most dogs like to be close to their people and leaving him downstairs away from you might be stressing him out, that would be my guess for his pooping. Either way I would restrict his movement at night and add a middle of the night walk if you don't think he can hold it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off. Your dog doesn't feel bad for pooping on the floor. He had to poop, so he did. He clearly doesn't know that he's not allowed to poop in the house. His change in behaviour in the morning is probably related to something else. You said you don't say anything anymore about him pooping on the floor, but if you did previously it might be that he's assuming that you coming downstairs in the morning = him getting yelled at. Only takes a couple times of this happening for them to make the association.

I would start by crating him at night instead of giving him free roam of the room downstairs. Is there a reason that you don't want him in your bedroom at night? Most dogs like to be close to their people and leaving him downstairs away from you might be stressing him out, that would be my guess for his pooping. Either way I would restrict his movement at night and add a middle of the night walk if you don't think he can hold it.
On the mornings where he has not pooped, he is full of beans and happy to see us, whereas on the mornings where he has pooped, his demeanour is certainly different because he knows that we aren't happy about the poop.
He might not necessarily associate the two but his behaviour on days when he has pooped is different to the days that he hasn't.
Does not poop or pee in the house any other time and always asks to go out and he has always been given the same stern "no" and put outside when he has toileted. The fact that he is only pooping at night but does not poop in the house during the day clearly says to me that he knows he's not meant to toilet but perhaps he cant hold it?
I don't want him in my bedroom because firstly I was told by my dog trainer not to have them in your room because it can just increase anxiety issues. Also my room is a place I share with my husband and I don't feel the need to have a dog in a crate right next to my bed because I think that will just encourage him to always be by my side which isn't necessary. He has slept in the lounge ever since he was an eight week old puppy and knows his routine and it's only recently that he has begun doing this overnight.
I was looking more into whether I need to change what time I feed him or whether I should come down and let him out later? He has never been crated nor have we had the need to, so I don't really want to bring that method in now and he can quite easily be left in the house for four hours when I pop out without the need to toilet through stress?
I certainly don't have the time to take him out for a walk in the middle of the night lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
On the mornings where he has not pooped, he is full of beans and happy to see us, whereas on the mornings where he has pooped, his demeanour is certainly different because he knows that we aren't happy about the poop.
He might not necessarily associate the two but his behaviour on days when he has pooped is different to the days that he hasn't.
All this would indicate to me is that he's picking up on your displeasure with him, even if you don't say anything, and is reacting to that. He's reacting to you, not the poop.

Does not poop or pee in the house any other time and always asks to go out and he has always been given the same stern "no" and put outside when he has toileted. The fact that he is only pooping at night but does not poop in the house during the day clearly says to me that he knows he's not meant to toilet but perhaps he cant hold it?
It's possible that he can't hold it overnight, I'm not sure about the quality of the food you're feeding, I've never heard of it before. But it might be that this is a low/lower quality food. But based on the fact that you say that he's just started this recently and you haven't changed your food I would lean towards this not being the case. I would get a full check up to rule out anything medical.

I don't want him in my bedroom because firstly I was told by my dog trainer not to have them in your room because it can just increase anxiety issues. Also my room is a place I share with my husband and I don't feel the need to have a dog in a crate right next to my bed because I think that will just encourage him to always be by my side which isn't necessary. He has slept in the lounge ever since he was an eight week old puppy and knows his routine and it's only recently that he has begun doing this overnight.
Not wanting a dog to sleep in your room is perfectly fine. To each their own. As far as your trainers suggestion that this will increase anxiety, in my opinion, this is totally false. Dogs are social animals and want to be with their families. Again, having the dog sleep in the lounge is fine.

I was looking more into whether I need to change what time I feed him or whether I should come down and let him out later?
You said you feed him at 5:30 and he usually poops before you go to bed? I don't think changing his feeding time will make a difference.

He has never been crated nor have we had the need to, so I don't really want to bring that method in now and he can quite easily be left in the house for four hours when I pop out without the need to toilet through stress?
Leaving him overnight is different than stepping out of the house for a few hours. Overnight is dark, there might be weird noises, it's quieter so sounds will have more of an affect on him, etc. All these things could stress him out and then he poops in response. A recommended a crate because it can be a safe place for him to curl up and feel comfortable and safe. Crates are not bad things and I would highly encourage you to introduce your pup to one, if not for regular use than at least for if you ever need to travel, or take him to the vet in one, or board him. These are all stressful situation for a dog and having a place that he knows is safe is huge help. You can also try a clock, radio or white noise machine which might help to comfort him.

I'm not sure why you have such a strong aversion to crating him, but I would highly recommend to at the very least create a little covered den like space in his sleeping area.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm not sure about the quality of the food you're feeding, I've never heard of it before. But it might be that this is a low/lower quality food. But based on the fact that you say that he's just started this recently and you haven't changed your food I would lean towards this not being the case. I would get a full check up to rule out anything medical.
The OP appears to be in the UK. Here is a review of Arden Grange food from a UK website. I have no idea if it is good or not (raw feeder) but it gets a 3.5 out 5 star rating which I guess means it is above average.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The OP appears to be in the UK. Here is a review of Arden Grange food from a UK website. I have no idea if it is good or not (raw feeder) but it gets a 3.5 out 5 star rating which I guess means it is above average.
Thanks Gnostic Dog - was far too lazy to do it myself. lol!

@Yorkienovice17 the reason I mentioned the food quality is because sometimes lower quality food will make dogs need to eliminate more frequently. But again, if you haven't changed his food recently then I highly doubt it has anything to do with your current situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All this would indicate to me is that he's picking up on your displeasure with him, even if you don't say anything, and is reacting to that. He's reacting to you, not the poop.

It's possible that he can't hold it overnight, I'm not sure about the quality of the food you're feeding, I've never heard of it before. But it might be that this is a low/lower quality food. But based on the fact that you say that he's just started this recently and you haven't changed your food I would lean towards this not being the case. I would get a full check up to rule out anything medical.

Not wanting a dog to sleep in your room is perfectly fine. To each their own. As far as your trainers suggestion that this will increase anxiety, in my opinion, this is totally false. Dogs are social animals and want to be with their families. Again, having the dog sleep in the lounge is fine.

You said you feed him at 5:30 and he usually poops before you go to bed? I don't think changing his feeding time will make a difference.

Leaving him overnight is different than stepping out of the house for a few hours. Overnight is dark, there might be weird noises, it's quieter so sounds will have more of an affect on him, etc. All these things could stress him out and then he poops in response. A recommended a crate because it can be a safe place for him to curl up and feel comfortable and safe. Crates are not bad things and I would highly encourage you to introduce your pup to one, if not for regular use than at least for if you ever need to travel, or take him to the vet in one, or board him. These are all stressful situation for a dog and having a place that he knows is safe is huge help. You can also try a clock, radio or white noise machine which might help to comfort him.

I'm not sure why you have such a strong aversion to crating him, but I would highly recommend to at the very least create a little covered den like space in his sleeping area.
Apologies for the delay in my response, I've had a poorly daughter all weekend and completely forgot to come back to you.
What ever he is reacting to, he only shows this reaction on the days when he has pooped in the lounge. We have a lounge diner so we have to come down to the door, in the room and walk around the corner to where he normally toilets before we can show any type of reaction; voluntary or not. On the days when he's done nothing he comes running over to the door and on the days when he has done something he stays over the other side So he must have some kind of link and understanding between toilet in the house and how we would feel about it. I don't say he definitively understands what we're angry about but there is a definite correlation between the days when he's pooped versus the reaction we get when we walk in the lounge.
We did used to reprimand him when we came in and there was poop on the floor but we is now stopped saying anything because his reaction himself is enough to know that he is aware that something he's done we aren't happy about.

I would've said it's something he can't hold over night but I am more inclined to think this is possibly a nervous reaction. He does tend to park/howl for a couple of minutes every night after we shut him down stairs and it's progressively getting to the stage where there is 2/3 poops instead of just one. He has plenty of opportunities to go out during the day so I can only presume that he is doing this out of anxiety. We did have the same issue with our last dog as she was shut in the conservatory at night and would poop 3/4 times and walk around repeatedly and tread it into the ground. We resorted to shutting her in the crate when we went to bed at night and she then stopped going when she was in her own bed area and after a couple of weeks we were able to let her out and she never did it again. I guess he has some form of separation anxiety but I'm not sure why as he has been shut down stairs every night since we first got him at 8weeks old so there is no difference in his nighttime routine but he's only started doing this probably in the last month or so?

It's not that I have a strong aversion to crating but I found after a while with my old dog, it created more issues than it solved. She got to the stage when we had to shut her in a crate any time we left the house because she would begin to destroy the house. She would tear carpets up, she would chew the sofa; she would do a whole host of things and it all started developing after we brought the crate in. We used to just shut her in the crate at night and then give her free range during the day but even leaving the house for five minutes would cause her to begin destroying the house and it got to the stage where she was always in the crate any time we went out which I didn't really like but we didn't know how else to deal with it. Mind you, she was a problematic dog and three different dog trainers couldn't help her so she was rehomed with somebody else who had the ability to deal with her but I supposedly is me with fear that the same thing will happen with Teddy
I did have a crate with Teddy when he was a puppy but he never liked it or used it to sleeping like our old dog did. I kept it on the floor and would have the door open all the time but he would never go in there. I used to shut him in there for his Naps in the day, he would rather curl up on the bare floor then go in the crate but I would gently move him and put him in the bed with his toys and close the door. He would then begin howling and crying before finally settling down out of exhaustion despite me being sat right next to the crate, he just didn't like the feeling of being boxed in and I persevered with it for so long; trying to feed him in there and make a comfortable space but he just never saw it that way.
I suppose my worry is if I brought one and now he would probably see it as a punishment because he doesn't enjoy sleeping in a crate at all. I don't want to create more of a problem instead of helping him so it does make me a bit stressed on what the best thing is to do. It's not that I don't want him to come up in our room, I just don't want him to come upstairs until I know that he isn't toileting during the day. Once we have reached that point, he can come and sleep in our room on his bed or a beanbag. I just find it so difficult because with our old Yorkie who passed away last January at the age of 16, we didn't do any of the things they recommend to do nowadays.
When we got him as a puppy, he was shut in the kitchen at night and he was shut in there until he was dry and then we never had another issue. Of course everything is different nowadays and there's so many different methods of training dogs but I just get really concerned because I followed all of those methods with my last dog and she ended up becoming a complete nutcase of the dog who we had to rehome and it broke our hearts.
I don't want the most obdient dog dog nor do I mind a dog with a few quirks, my only issue is that the continual pooping in the lounge has to stop because its not only ruining our carpet but I don't see that he really has a need to continue doing this as both our old Yorkie and old dog had stopped pooping at night by now so I don't think it's down to not being able to hold it?

We considered this evening shutting him in our kitchen which is a smaller room with lino flooring. I don't think it's going to go down very well but the smaller room space may help with the anxiety? Other than that, I don't really know what else to do :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Apologies for the delay in my response, I've had a poorly daughter all weekend and completely forgot to come back to you.
What ever he is reacting to, he only shows this reaction on the days when he has pooped in the lounge. We have a lounge diner so we have to come down to the door, in the room and walk around the corner to where he normally toilets before we can show any type of reaction; voluntary or not. On the days when he's done nothing he comes running over to the door and on the days when he has done something he stays over the other side So he must have some kind of link and understanding between toilet in the house and how we would feel about it. I don't say he definitively understands what we're angry about but there is a definite correlation between the days when he's pooped versus the reaction we get when we walk in the lounge.
We did used to reprimand him when we came in and there was poop on the floor but we is now stopped saying anything because his reaction himself is enough to know that he is aware that something he's done we aren't happy about.

I would've said it's something he can't hold over night but I am more inclined to think this is possibly a nervous reaction. He does tend to park/howl for a couple of minutes every night after we shut him down stairs and it's progressively getting to the stage where there is 2/3 poops instead of just one. He has plenty of opportunities to go out during the day so I can only presume that he is doing this out of anxiety. We did have the same issue with our last dog as she was shut in the conservatory at night and would poop 3/4 times and walk around repeatedly and tread it into the ground. We resorted to shutting her in the crate when we went to bed at night and she then stopped going when she was in her own bed area and after a couple of weeks we were able to let her out and she never did it again. I guess he has some form of separation anxiety but I'm not sure why as he has been shut down stairs every night since we first got him at 8weeks old so there is no difference in his nighttime routine but he's only started doing this probably in the last month or so?

It's not that I have a strong aversion to crating but I found after a while with my old dog, it created more issues than it solved. She got to the stage when we had to shut her in a crate any time we left the house because she would begin to destroy the house. She would tear carpets up, she would chew the sofa; she would do a whole host of things and it all started developing after we brought the crate in. We used to just shut her in the crate at night and then give her free range during the day but even leaving the house for five minutes would cause her to begin destroying the house and it got to the stage where she was always in the crate any time we went out which I didn't really like but we didn't know how else to deal with it. Mind you, she was a problematic dog and three different dog trainers couldn't help her so she was rehomed with somebody else who had the ability to deal with her but I supposedly is me with fear that the same thing will happen with Teddy
I did have a crate with Teddy when he was a puppy but he never liked it or used it to sleeping like our old dog did. I kept it on the floor and would have the door open all the time but he would never go in there. I used to shut him in there for his Naps in the day, he would rather curl up on the bare floor then go in the crate but I would gently move him and put him in the bed with his toys and close the door. He would then begin howling and crying before finally settling down out of exhaustion despite me being sat right next to the crate, he just didn't like the feeling of being boxed in and I persevered with it for so long; trying to feed him in there and make a comfortable space but he just never saw it that way.
I suppose my worry is if I brought one and now he would probably see it as a punishment because he doesn't enjoy sleeping in a crate at all. I don't want to create more of a problem instead of helping him so it does make me a bit stressed on what the best thing is to do. It's not that I don't want him to come up in our room, I just don't want him to come upstairs until I know that he isn't toileting during the day. Once we have reached that point, he can come and sleep in our room on his bed or a beanbag. I just find it so difficult because with our old Yorkie who passed away last January at the age of 16, we didn't do any of the things they recommend to do nowadays.
When we got him as a puppy, he was shut in the kitchen at night and he was shut in there until he was dry and then we never had another issue. Of course everything is different nowadays and there's so many different methods of training dogs but I just get really concerned because I followed all of those methods with my last dog and she ended up becoming a complete nutcase of the dog who we had to rehome and it broke our hearts.
I don't want the most obdient dog dog nor do I mind a dog with a few quirks, my only issue is that the continual pooping in the lounge has to stop because its not only ruining our carpet but I don't see that he really has a need to continue doing this as both our old Yorkie and old dog had stopped pooping at night by now so I don't think it's down to not being able to hold it?

We considered this evening shutting him in our kitchen which is a smaller room with lino flooring. I don't think it's going to go down very well but the smaller room space may help with the anxiety? Other than that, I don't really know what else to do :(
Does seem to be anxiety related. I would try leaving a crate with the door off and covered with a blanket in the corner of the room he's in. That way he has access if he wants it. Then add a nightlight and a radio, either playing static or on a station, and see if that helps at all.

Is he in that space of the house any other times during the day or just for sleep? If you're not already, I would put him in there at random intervals for random times as well, if your home or not.

Total shot in the dark here but I wonder if the reason for this being a new thing is that he's just more aware of his surroundings now that he's a bit older... or maybe he's just not as tired as he once was at bed time. Maybe try adding a big play session or walk before bed to help tire him out some more?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again,

Our downstairs consists of a kitchen and the lounge/diner which is where we spent the majority of the day. He is taken out for a walk at about 8PM for 20 minutes or so depending on the weather and he regularly enjoys a game of fetch with my husband in the evenings. We tried pushing back the time we go to bed until 11 PM but this doesn't make any difference and the fact that he defecated three times last night is very reminiscent of what our old dog did when she was left on her own until we began crating her. That's what makes me think that this isn't the case if he can't hold it, it's almost a case of just going everywhere because he is anxious. He is shut in the room that he spends all of his time in during the day so it shouldn't be anxiety based on where he is but I'm guessing it's because he's left on his own.

He has always been a dog that has disliked being left on his own at night but our current living arrangements with a young toddler meant we couldn't have him upstairs and be getting up every few hours to let him out to toilet so as we did with our previous two dogs, he was shut into a corner of the living room with enough space to toilet and play if needs be and left until we come down in the morning. So he is well aware of the routine and there's nothing different that's changed. The only thing that's remotely different is that he has been put on the adult version of Arden Grange but then I introduced to this slowly over a month as suggested by the company.

I sometimes wonder whether if we just brought him upstairs with us in the evening, he would actually stop toileting because he would be more relaxed in our company. However as a typical little dog, he's become a lapdog and always tends to sleep on the sofa next to you so I'm reluctant to bring him upstairs because I know he will be constantly trying to get up on the bed with us and also it makes it difficult for any sort of intimacy or peace and quiet when there is a dog in the room trying to get up on your bed lol.

It's tough because I don't know why he is so anxious at being left downstairs because he's always been in this room and spends probably the majority of his day in this room, both with us and without us, but I think until we can solve the issue we are going to be shutting him in our kitchen which is a smaller space and has a lino floor so at the very worst at least it's easier to clean up rather than ruining our carpet.

I will try to leave a light on for him this evening, I don't really have a radio I can leave on for him and my husband is very funny about electrical stuff being left on overnight but I might be able to get away with some light :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi again,

Our downstairs consists of a kitchen and the lounge/diner which is where we spent the majority of the day. He is taken out for a walk at about 8PM for 20 minutes or so depending on the weather and he regularly enjoys a game of fetch with my husband in the evenings. We tried pushing back the time we go to bed until 11 PM but this doesn't make any difference and the fact that he defecated three times last night is very reminiscent of what our old dog did when she was left on her own until we began crating her. That's what makes me think that this isn't the case if he can't hold it, it's almost a case of just going everywhere because he is anxious. He is shut in the room that he spends all of his time in during the day so it shouldn't be anxiety based on where he is but I'm guessing it's because he's left on his own.

He has always been a dog that has disliked being left on his own at night but our current living arrangements with a young toddler meant we couldn't have him upstairs and be getting up every few hours to let him out to toilet so as we did with our previous two dogs, he was shut into a corner of the living room with enough space to toilet and play if needs be and left until we come down in the morning. So he is well aware of the routine and there's nothing different that's changed. The only thing that's remotely different is that he has been put on the adult version of Arden Grange but then I introduced to this slowly over a month as suggested by the company.

I sometimes wonder whether if we just brought him upstairs with us in the evening, he would actually stop toileting because he would be more relaxed in our company. However as a typical little dog, he's become a lapdog and always tends to sleep on the sofa next to you so I'm reluctant to bring him upstairs because I know he will be constantly trying to get up on the bed with us and also it makes it difficult for any sort of intimacy or peace and quiet when there is a dog in the room trying to get up on your bed lol.

It's tough because I don't know why he is so anxious at being left downstairs because he's always been in this room and spends probably the majority of his day in this room, both with us and without us, but I think until we can solve the issue we are going to be shutting him in our kitchen which is a smaller space and has a lino floor so at the very worst at least it's easier to clean up rather than ruining our carpet.

I will try to leave a light on for him this evening, I don't really have a radio I can leave on for him and my husband is very funny about electrical stuff being left on overnight but I might be able to get away with some light :)
How about a clock? and maybe a hotwater bottle or heating pad. I would put them under a blanket and a create him a little den, with a roof if possible. Something that is nice and cozy.

The constantly trying to get into bed and intimacy issues are part of the reason that I mentioned crating him in the first place. That plus it should help curb his accidents. I get that you tried it and he wasn't crazy about it. I know it might seem like I've got stocks in crates or something, lol, but I truly believe that if he were comfortable in one it would solve a bunch of your issues. Having him in a crate in your room would keep him off the bed, allow you, your intimacy and give the pup the piece of mind that he's near his family.

What's the plan for him at night after his 100% house trained?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a clock in our kitchen so he would be able to hear that and I will pop a hot water bottle inside the crate in the kitchen.

He doesn't always try to get up on the bed, now for example, he is actually lying on the floor but again he is still near my feet I suppose. I don't mind crates, as I say are used it with my previous dog but after a while it became the only way to keep her under control which is what I don't want to happen with Teddy.

Once he is 100% housetrained, I'd be happy for him to come upstairs and sleep in the corner of our room. I have a dog bed for him and also a beanbag which my old Yorkie used to love and I intend to utilise that as well but I just don't want poop all over the dream floor.

I'm torn on what the correct thing to do now is; do I start shutting him in the kitchen in a smaller space to see if it makes a difference? Do I shut him in the crate overnight downstairs to see if it curbs his pooping habit or do I bring him up into our room and put him in his crate when we go to bed?
I just don't know what to do?

Maybe I should shut him in the kitchen for a week with his crate as the bed and after a week bring him upstairs when he will be more comfortable with the crate and won't mind being shut in? x

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe I should shut him in the kitchen for a week with his crate as the bed and after a week bring him upstairs when he will be more comfortable with the crate and won't mind being shut in? x
I feel like crating him in your room will be the best solution here. That way he is near you so he doesn't feel anxious, but you can be comfortable knowing he isn't able to come onto your bed and he is crated so your carpet is safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel like crating him in your room will be the best solution here. That way he is near you so he doesn't feel anxious, but you can be comfortable knowing he isn't able to come onto your bed and he is crated so your carpet is safe.
My only concern is that where he isn't used to being confined in a crate that he is just going to cause a lot of fuss this evening.
I wondered whether I should break him into it a bit more slowly?

·
Registered
439 Posts
My only concern is that where he isn't used to being confined in a crate that he is just going to cause a lot of fuss this evening.
I wondered whether I should break him into it a bit more slowly?
There definitely could be some fuss for a few days, but being close to you will relieve his anxiety and I'm not sure of any way you could ease him into it without losing some of your freedom and intimacy you were mentioning. He will calm down and stop fussing eventually. And he will be much happier being by you. I'm not an expert in this, because personally I allow my dog bed space before I allow my boyfriend lol. But we did crate train with my pug growing up and he was much happier being in the crate on the floor of my parent's room then if we kept him downstairs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There definitely could be some fuss for a few days, but being close to you will relieve his anxiety and I'm not sure of any way you could ease him into it without losing some of your freedom and intimacy you were mentioning. He will calm down and stop fussing eventually. And he will be much happier being by you. I'm not an expert in this, because personally I allow my dog bed space before I allow my boyfriend lol. But we did crate train with my pug growing up and he was much happier being in the crate on the floor of my parent's room then if we kept him downstairs.
I agree. I think he'll fuss a bit either way in the crate for the first few nights. But if he's in your room it will ease his anxiety and that will add some comfort. One thing to remember when he's in the crate is that you don't give him any attention for crying or whining in there. Only reward a calm puppy with attention. Also I found putting a blanket over the crate worked to help calm my pup, something to keep in mind if he won't settle.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi everyone,

So a quick update on our progress last night. Spoke to my husband but he didn't want the dog up in our room in the crate because of how much noise he makes when he is shut into it, so we thought that we would put him in our kitchen which was is a smaller room with the crate to sleep in to help him get used to being in there with the door open.
We did his bedtime routine as normal; let him out to the toilet and then made his bed. I gave him a warm hot water bottle in one of my jackets in the crate and I shut the door on him and head upstairs.
What then continued was 30 minutes of continuous howling, crying and frantic barking. He also began digging away at the door desperately trying to get out. We thought that after a while he might quieten down when he realised we weren't coming back downstairs but he started getting himself into a right state. So I went downstairs and without saying anything to him, put him back in the lounge as normal, shut the door and came upstairs to bed.
He then took five minutes or so to eat the bone that I left him for bedtime and then began his normal routine of barking and howling and he did this for about another 10 minutes before finally settling down to sleep.
I am reluctant to bring him upstairs into our room because I know how much noise he is going to make in the crate and it's going to disturb my daughter as her room is next to ours and the walls are thin. He doesn't seem his normal self recently, he seems to have become quite nervous, quite clingy and generally a shadow of his former self?
I don't know whether this might be in an age related thing as he is just shy of seven months old but we play with him plenty, he gets loads of praise and attention so there's no reason for him to have become timid and shy but I think this may be having an effect on his bedtime routine.
I'm kind of at a loss with what to do next now?
We don't really want him in our room while he is so anxious because he will scream bloody murder when being shut into the crate and none of us can afford to lose any sleep at the moment. As harsh as it sounds, shutting him down stairs, he only cries for 10 minutes and we can't really hear him so it's easier than having him in our room and him keeping us all awake.
The only downside with leaving him downstairs of course is the defecating although last night was the least amount he has defecated in awhile and it was only two little balls of poop whereas the night before there were three poops!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a rough night. You might want to spend some time getting him comfortable in his crate before trying again. Google crate games and use those to get him accustomed to his crate.

Unfortunately I think you're going to have a few rough nights ahead of you. I do think that if he's in your room he might be a bit better noise wise than downstairs. Either way I would work at making him comfortable in his crate during the day. And then at night leave him in the lounge with access to his crate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear you had a rough night. You might want to spend some time getting him comfortable in his crate before trying again. Google crate games and use those to get him accustomed to his crate.

Unfortunately I think you're going to have a few rough nights ahead of you. I do think that if he's in your room he might be a bit better noise wise than downstairs. Either way I would work at making him comfortable in his crate during the day. And then at night leave him in the lounge with access to his crate.
I have managed to find a local dog trainer who is willing to come out for a 1.5 hour session to view his behaviour and give me a plan to work with. After discussing the signs and symptoms, she believes he is suffering from separation anxiety and suggested the same as you all did; leaving a radio or light on for him.
I left my TV on one of the sky radio channels when we went to bed last night and left the top I had been wearing all day on the sofa where he normally sleeps and that was the first night in months that he did not bark or howl when we left him. I don't know how long the TV stayed on for because both the skybox and my TV do switch off if nobody is watching but it certainly kept him quiet which was a massive step. This morning there was only one poop on the floor so that could have genuinely been a not being able to hold it long enough situation.
The dog trainer is going to help me crate train to help him feel secure in his own space but going forwards we are going to provide him with a night light and a radio on?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have managed to find a local dog trainer who is willing to come out for a 1.5 hour session to view his behaviour and give me a plan to work with. After discussing the signs and symptoms, she believes he is suffering from separation anxiety and suggested the same as you all did; leaving a radio or light on for him.
I left my TV on one of the sky radio channels when we went to bed last night and left the top I had been wearing all day on the sofa where he normally sleeps and that was the first night in months that he did not bark or howl when we left him. I don't know how long the TV stayed on for because both the skybox and my TV do switch off if nobody is watching but it certainly kept him quiet which was a massive step. This morning there was only one poop on the floor so that could have genuinely been a not being able to hold it long enough situation.
The dog trainer is going to help me crate train to help him feel secure in his own space but going forwards we are going to provide him with a night light and a radio on?
Nice! Glad to hear that there is some positives happening. Having a trainer come in will help a lot. Let us know how he progresses! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, next update on Teddy through the night.

Last night we kept the radio on via the TV which I think stays on for around 2?3 hours and I also plugged a nightlight in which was in the half of the room he sleeps in. This would have meant he would've been in the glow of its light and, not that he can see the colour, but it's a soft pink/red night night which always calms me.
We went to bed about 11:30 PM and I left him with one of my tops I had been wearing that day that smelt of me. We came down this morning at 8 AM and there was no poop!! He also did not bark or how when we went upstairs either.
It may be fluke but that's two nights in a row he has not cried for us when we have gone upstairs and one night without any poop so I'm hoping that this may be the way forward for him. My dog trainer is going to send me things that can help increase his confidence so he feels safe when being left alone and were going to pick up a cheap clock radio to leave on now when we go to bed so he has sound all night.
We have also begun leaving the TV on when we go out in the day on the same calm radio station he has at night and the one I listen to when I work in the evenings.
It's obviously really early days but him not crying at night is a massive step because he has done this every night since we had him so it feels good to know he obviously feels more secure with that little chink of light and background noise. Fingers crossed this continues and we can go without toileting at night. Once that has been resolved and he has more confidence in himself then he will be granted the luxury of sleeping in our room on his bed :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts