Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently (about 3 weeks ago) got a lowchen puppy and are working on house-training her. She is only a few days over 3 months old right now, and is doing ok when we are home as far as letting us know when she needs to go. We are trying to be very astute as well and whenever she shows signs of needing to go without verbalizing, we try bring her out right away to do her business. My wife and I both work during the week though, and have had some issues as of late with our puppy's house-training. I leave for work around 5:30, my wife leaves at 7:30. Before my wife leaves, she brings the puppy out a few times and she usually poops at least once and pees almost every time she goes out. Then around 12:00 I come home to take her out right away, give her some water, and play a bit with her. When I leave around 12:30, I take her out again and she pees at that point too. No pooping though. Then, I am home in the afternoon between 4:30 and 5:00 to take care of her again.
The issue we are having is this: the first week we had her in a crate and there were very few problems. A few accidents, but just pee and easy to clean up and replace the towel in the crate. The second week, however, she began to poop in her crate as well and since we did not want her stuck in her crate with poop for hours, we moved her to the bathroom after this happened several days in a row. Now, this week, she has been pooping in the morning outside for my wife, but then she also poops in the morning while we're gone and proceeds to step in it and track it all over the floor and walls and door. Then, at lunch, after taking her out, I clean her and the bathroom up before playing for a few minutes before I leave. Then when I come home in the afternoon I find she has pooped again and tracked it everywhere.
It has happened every day this week and is beginning to look like a bad habit. We placed a puppy litter box in the bathroom for her if she has to go, but she has only used it once to pee in. She poops right in front of the door and then gets excited and steps in it a lot and paints the door, walls, floor in front of the door for about a foot from the door with poop. It has become a real hassle as it takes 10 - 15 minutes to clean her up (poop on her paws, tummy and legs) and another half hour to clean the bathroom (I'm going through 1 roll of paper towels per day). I had always heard that dogs don't like their poop and will try to poop away from where the play if they can. It would be fine if she pooped in the corner and left it there, but she poops in front of the door and steps in it repeatedly, tracking it everywhere. I have done some disgusting things in my time, but cleaning her and the bathroom twice a day takes the cake!!
I don't know if this is related to separation anxiety... I have looked up a little bit about it, and some symptoms fit, but others do not. She definitely has a hard time with us leaving and barks quite a bit. Starting yesterday, I have put a radio in the bathroom with her to try to help calm her down. She has toys and a kong with a kong food stick thing in it to distract her as well. I take her for a walk (about 20-30 min) in the afternoon, but starting tomorrow, I think I will take her for a walk at 4:30 in the morning as well to try to tire her out. I am at my wit's end trying to figure out what's wrong. Is this just a puppy phase? Is this indicative of a more serious problem? Please help!

Aaron

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I know lots of people like to jump in and use a crate right away with puppies...personally I aproach it a bit differently...

When the dog is new or young ....I train, and introduce the crate...but I don't use it...

does that make sence? I work on building the dogs time in the crate...feeding in the crate, sleeping in it, but I don't confine them to it when im not home...yet.

This is because you want to avoid accidents. Sure, lots of dogs wont soil the crate by instinct, if thats the case, your golden.... but since your dog is having accidents in it you need to do everything you can to prevent them. Because everytime it happens increases the chance it will happen again.

Is the bathroom by chance small? Can you confine her to a larger area where she has the option of pooping farther away? Personally Im kinda backwards and let the dog poop where they want and then put the pads on that spot....then once they are used to pooping on the pads, I slowly move the pad where I want it...rather than putting pads (or box) down and hoping and wishing the dog will use them....if you just want her to use them when your not home, you need to increase her odds and you will have to cover the floor at first until she gets into a routine.

It sounds like your dog is just really new and young and confused, you sound like your making a good effort, so likely she will outgrow most of this. The older they get, the longer they can hold it.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree with crio, puppy pads are amazing, our pit bull took them immediately. Also I personally notice when I get a new puppy they dont eat as much at first (new home = nervousness lol) then they start to regularly eat and go poo more often. Just my experience :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poop issues... update

Update:

Yesterday was a good day :) I got home at lunch to find no poops or pee at all! I took her out and she pooped right away for me. It was nice for both of us because we had more time for some vigorous play time and less time with Pennie watching daddy clean her poop off the walls. At the end of lunch, she peed for me and I put her back in the bathroom for the remainder of the work day. When I arrived home at 4:30 however, there were a few small turds on the floor by the door, but only one had been trampled in, so clean-up was relatively quick.

I think the exercise in the morning might have helped get things "moving" a little better, my wife said she had a very large b.m. after their walk in the morning so that probably helped. After the walk in the afternoon (where Pennie met a couple new friends) and supper, she was exhausted and spent the rest of the evening dozing with her toys, so cute :eek:

To answer your question, Criosphynx, the bathroom we hold her in is about 6' by 6' minus the sink and toilet. Her crate I have placed in the corner and covered with a blanket. she has around 15-ish square feet of free space to play and poop and whatever. We tried to keep her in the bathroom and adjoining hallway at first, but the 3' fence play pen thing we used to block the rest of the downstairs off with, she managed to scale. We have a baby gate for the stairs too, and we set it up to block off above the fence, but she Houdini'd her way out of that too and I found her one lunch at the top of the stairs by our bedroom (she's afraid to go down stairs, but can go up them at light speed).

We tried to introduce the crate as per manufacturer's instructions, and she seemed to take to it ok. In fact, at night when we go to bed, she crawls right in the crate upstairs and lays down and waits for us to close the door for bedtime. So I think she's used to being in a crate, it's the separation from us that makes it so difficult for her. On that note, I have also noticed if I go anywhere out of sight she whines and if I leave the room she starts to bark. Last night, I fed her dinner and went out on the front porch to water my tomato and pepper plants and she started barking the minute I stepped out the door. Is this okay behavior for a puppy? I don't want to create separation anxiety in her, and I don't know if it's natural or okay for her to start barking when we go upstairs to do something for a few minutes, or step outside for a minute or whether it's something we need to work on further.

Thanks for the responses, I'm just trying to be a good dad to our new puppy and want to do what's best to help her development in these early years. As a side note, we are signed up for puppy training classes starting in a couple weeks at the local chain, hopefully that will help as well.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thats why I was saying practice with the crate when your home..build up to several minutes in it (or the bathroom) with you out of sight.

You may have to start with going out of view for a half second at a time...returning and giving a treat... and then a full second..return and treat , and so on.

She is associating you leaving with...well...you leaving! You need to start now by teaching her that you leaving means she gets a treat....and you leaving and her not crying also earns her a treat. Just build up slowly to it.

If she barks try not to go back until she stops for a few moments, and then next time realize you just went to far too fast. :)

Also its not to early to start teaching her basic tricks yourself! This will keep her stimulated and she might calm down a little. I started my pup @ ten weeks with sit, shake, touch (touch my hand) and other silly things...It really made him a saint to be around. Keeps their minds too tired to think about chewing and crying.

You sound like your doing good with her though!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
If I ever get a puppy, I'm sending him to Criosphynx for training! She is amazing.

And I got F in puppy potty training years ago.

Now I rescue older dogs that are already potty trained. :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If I ever get a puppy, I'm sending him to Criosphynx for training! She is amazing.

And I got F in puppy potty training years ago.

Now I rescue older dogs that are already potty trained. :)

Oh heck I got an A++++ in that except for the chihuahuas, don't even get me started LOL my boys are very well potty trained and crate trained. Its not easy but well worth it :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
lmao!!

My hardest dog has been my old as dirt pomeranian. The puppy was a breeze. Everyone else was in the middle.

Don't send me puppies unless you don't want them returned! :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
lmao!!

My hardest dog has been my old as dirt pomeranian. The puppy was a breeze. Everyone else was in the middle.

Don't send me puppies unless you don't want them returned! :)
Will you take like a 1 1/2 yr old chihuahua? and keep her? HAHA I kid I kid. Or do I? :ponder:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coming home to long, clean up is not fun. However, your dog is still young regarding bladder and bowel control. What are you feeding your dog? The more-expensive foods are typically more digestible and produce less waste; grocery store food is crap and will create excessive poop. How big is the bathroom; is this a tiny half-bath? Most dogs typically walk/circle around before pooping so even if your puppy starts in the corner, the poop may not end up there. I cannot tell if you are shutting the bathroom door or if you use a gate; please do not shut door on dog. Are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean up poo? Can you try a bigger room like laundry room or kitchen and put bed and food/water in front of gate - and put lots newspapers (with a very tiny piece of poo) at the farther end of room and see if dog will not eliminate at room exit area like it's doing now. I would also spend the money and buy some puppy training pads [or liquid potty scent for newspaper] (and use it in conjunction with newspaper) to get dogs brain wired to potty away from itself, bedding, and food/water. I know your dog is not a puppy mill dog, but is worth reading this PM link. I really understand this poo problem is currently diminishing your enjoyment of your dog, and I wish I had a magic-wand solution.
http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/3/House-Training-Your-Adult-Dog.aspx

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I would but my husband would kill me!

I think we are going to stick with chis and pits tho...we've been very impressed with them. :)
Somebodys gotta do it, I already said no more chi's. I just don't know why they don't grasp concept. I even take treats out with me and get excited and love on them tons when they go outside, do they care? Sure for 5 mins, then they go inside and crap LOL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Somebodys gotta do it, I already said no more chi's. I just don't know why they don't grasp concept. I even take treats out with me and get excited and love on them tons when they go outside, do they care? Sure for 5 mins, then they go inside and crap LOL

we should trade for a month...my two chi mixes are saints :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
we should trade for a month...my two chi mixes are saints :)
I am just not giving up. Everytime she goes in the house, she is put outside. When she goes outside she gets praised. I figure one day she will get it. The older one does not mess as much inside at all but when she does it irks me lol but I keep my cool

·
Registered
7 Posts
poop issues

my 4 month old Jack Rat is doing the same thing as amoody's puppy. I have tried putting cotton balls soaked in vinegar in front of the door atop a carpet runner piece turned up side down which worked on its own for a few days, then same behavior again, the vinegar did work for about a week now she is doing this again. because of working and having to be gone during the day, it seems necessary to confine her to the utility room which is about 9 x 9 feet. plenty big enough to have a space for potty and also for bed and papers or puppy pads. she will usually do her business outside when i am home to take her. i love the little mut but this cleaning of the feet and the floor imnmediately in front of the closed door when i get home or when i get up in the morning first thing is about to drive me bonkers. have used the crate some on the days i am at home which helps but can't see putting her in it all day. would appreciate any ideas to remedy this that any of you can provide. thanks

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
my 4 month old Jack Rat is doing the same thing as amoody's puppy. I have tried putting cotton balls soaked in vinegar in front of the door atop a carpet runner piece turned up side down which worked on its own for a few days, then same behavior again, the vinegar did work for about a week now she is doing this again. because of working and having to be gone during the day, it seems necessary to confine her to the utility room which is about 9 x 9 feet. plenty big enough to have a space for potty and also for bed and papers or puppy pads. she will usually do her business outside when i am home to take her. i love the little mut but this cleaning of the feet and the floor imnmediately in front of the closed door when i get home or when i get up in the morning first thing is about to drive me bonkers. have used the crate some on the days i am at home which helps but can't see putting her in it all day. would appreciate any ideas to remedy this that any of you can provide. thanks
Your puppy is only 4 months old..this is something people forget, puppies are like babies..you can't ask a baby to potty train and you can't expect a 4 month old puppy to get it right away either.

What is your exact day plan right now? You go to work, she is locked up, you get home what do you see where she is? Is she using the puppy pads? Do you take her out immediately? What are you doing when she does go outside? Is she on a feeding schedule as well?

Schedules are the best way to potty train animals...feeding schedules, potty schedules, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for answering, day plan is get up, take her out, she may or may not do business outside. extravagant praise when she does. feed about an hour before i go to work, take out again, may or may not get results, usually do at least one outing. put her in utility room with papers, pee pads, water and chew toy. then go to work, come home about 7 or 8 hours later. fuss about the mess, clean her up depending on what needs to be done. take her out. feed around 10 - 12 hours after morning feeding, out again, may or may not work. crate a time or two during at home time, a couple trips outside. Before bed out again, then back in room to sleep. last night tried something different, bed in front of door, no mess. she pees on papers or puppy pads when confined to room but otherwise may do it wherever the need hits her. always praise when she does good, sometimes fuss if she doesn't but think I may ignore mistakes and keep on praising for "good deeds. " No spanking and no shaking etc. I know she is like a baby and they get busy and forget where the toilet is but cannot help being aggravated with her. maybe just being patient and persistent is key here. what do you think? Is there something missing?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
thanks for answering, day plan is get up, take her out, she may or may not do business outside. extravagant praise when she does. feed about an hour before i go to work, take out again, may or may not get results, usually do at least one outing. put her in utility room with papers, pee pads, water and chew toy. then go to work, come home about 7 or 8 hours later. fuss about the mess, clean her up depending on what needs to be done. take her out. feed around 10 - 12 hours after morning feeding, out again, may or may not work. crate a time or two during at home time, a couple trips outside. Before bed out again, then back in room to sleep. last night tried something different, bed in front of door, no mess. she pees on papers or puppy pads when confined to room but otherwise may do it wherever the need hits her. always praise when she does good, sometimes fuss if she doesn't but think I may ignore mistakes and keep on praising for "good deeds. " No spanking and no shaking etc. I know she is like a baby and they get busy and forget where the toilet is but cannot help being aggravated with her. maybe just being patient and persistent is key here. what do you think? Is there something missing?
Definitely ignore the messes you do not catch. If you see her squatting to go, quietly walk over, pick her up and place her outside and praise her for going there. If you are placing down puppy pads then fussing over her using them she will not do it when you are home, instead she will find a corner away from you to go in.

The schedule sounds good. Why do you crate her when you are home? To me this sounds like too much time in a confined area.

I would also recommend more potty breaks, taking her out every hour or so until she does go potty then you can give her some more time inside.

Do you have a doggy door?

It sounds like you are taking her outside before she has digested the previous set of food. What are you feeding her and how much?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. about crating when I am home, it is for short periods while occupied with something else. will try more frequent trips outdoors. about doggy door, the area I live in is 40 or so houses, on a road which is not safe for dogs. also the yard is not fenced, if it was doggy door would be a good thing. We live in a rural subdivision and most yards are not fenced.

I feed her mostly Iam's puppy food and a little Nutrish or Merrick. the amount is about what is recommended on the bags. I do not know how long it takes for dog to digest, how long does it take? have thought about feeding earlier and then maybe she could eliminate before I go to work.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. about crating when I am home, it is for short periods while occupied with something else. will try more frequent trips outdoors. about doggy door, the area I live in is 40 or so houses, on a road which is not safe for dogs. also the yard is not fenced, if it was doggy door would be a good thing. We live in a rural subdivision and most yards are not fenced.

I feed her mostly Iam's puppy food and a little Nutrish or Merrick. the amount is about what is recommended on the bags. I do not know how long it takes for dog to digest, how long does it take? have thought about feeding earlier and then maybe she could eliminate before I go to work.
Each dog is different when it comes to digesting. Dogs at 4 months are still learning how to control their bladders and bowels. I would just watch her, see when she seems like she needs to go potty and take her out. My dogs all go potty after they eat or within an hour after. Also pay attention to her sleep schedule..when she wakes up she should go outside to relieve herself. Have you thought about crating her when you are gone? Giving her a smaller area so she goes potty less while you are gone?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts