Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if a puppy will learn to poop at the same time every time? I know there are pups that go every time after eatting.

I am trying to take my pup out at the same times and make sure he poops. The mornings have been ok - he usually goes. The evenings have been a nightmare. There are times when he goes at the 8pm walk. There are times where he goes at the 11pm potty.

I am trying to get him to go every time at 8pm so I go for longer walks. Is this how you train a pup to go poop at regular times?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can train your dog where to poop, but not when to poop. 95% of the time my dog goes in the morning....her preferred eating time is at night...but sometimes she just doesn't need to go. Evenings can be hit or miss. She sometimes goes poo when I get home, sometimes hours later. If you don't poo on an exact schedule, why would you expect that of your dog?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm with @seashoreduck , some dogs are super regular (just like some humans are) If they are fed and taken out at the exact same time every day, they will probably go at the same time. Some dogs aren't.

My pup will usually go poop on 2 of his 3 walks during the day. First thing in the morning, and when I get home from work. Sometimes he doesn't, and only goes once or will go 3 times or will go at a different time. There are a bunch of variables in play. When was the last time he ate, how much running around did he do that day, how many treats did he get, what kind of treats did he get, etc. I can get a fairly good idea of when he needs to go based on how he acts but he's not wired as a dog that will go at the same time every time.

The way I see it as long as he's not pooping in the house. You're winning! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

He sometimes does 2 and sometimes does 1. I just wanted to see if it was normal. I know of a dog that is always 2 and have never seen him not do it at the regular times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts