Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking for a miniature poodle puppy as a pet for my wife and I, we met with a breeder the other day. His puppies seem in good health but are ACA registered instead of AKC. After doing some research, I learned the difference between the two.

I am a fairly serious allergy sufferer, so we are interested in a purebred miniature poodle largely due to the fact that they don't shed. If the pups are actually mixed it could have bad consequences for my allergies so much that we may not be able to keep the dog.

Can someone look at these puppy pictures and tell me if they look like purebred poodle puppies? I know it would not be scientific, but I have no expertise at all.

Thanks,
-John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Their hair seems very straight. I would just head for a breeder with AKC registered minis. If it's a matter of not being able to keep the puppy, don't even bother. Its not worth it.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen their adults? Do you have adult pictures? Do they show? Or at least do some other dog sport? Do they have a website? (I just want to look myself, Im nosy).

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
As far as I am concerned poodle mixes carry the poodle traits over the other breeds traits as far as coat is concerned. That is why they started to make golden doodles and labradoodles so you could get the golden and lab personality with the poodles low shed/non shed. BTW you are not allergic to the hair ;) you are allergic to the dandruff which ALL breeds have, even poodles. If you are allergic to dogs you should probably consider a different animal.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I would stay far far far away from ACA registered dogs...this is a mill registry.

Like pawz said you may be allergic to the dander, not the hair.

Personally tho, Iam allergic to one of my cats, not the other. And I have heard of som' people being MORE allergic to certain breeds. My husband gets a rash if he touches our pit bull, but not from the other dogs. :)

If you post the breeder website I can give you feedback. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know of someone who is fine with dog hair and dander, but if a dog licks her, she breaks into a rash. I also know someone who has two big hairy, majorly shedding dogs but takes meds everyday so she can keep them.

I guess it depends. When you do find a breeder, hang out with the dogs. See if you get a reaction.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I would stay far far far away from ACA registered dogs...this is a mill registry.

Like pawz said you may be allergic to the dander, not the hair.

Personally tho, Iam allergic to one of my cats, not the other. And I have heard of som' people being MORE allergic to certain breeds. My husband gets a rash if he touches our pit bull, but not from the other dogs. :)

If you post the breeder website I can give you feedback. :)
TY for sharing the info on ACA registered dogs!!! Did NOT know that about them.
Yea this is true too, I have heard lots of people have reactions to shar pei and shar pei mixes

I know of someone who is fine with dog hair and dander, but if a dog licks her, she breaks into a rash. I also know someone who has two big hairy, majorly shedding dogs but takes meds everyday so she can keep them.

I guess it depends. When you do find a breeder, hang out with the dogs. See if you get a reaction.
I worked with a girl who had this allergy..IN A VETS OFFICE lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
yup the other popular mill registry is CKC.....but theres a twist...the Canadian Kennel club is legit...but the Continental KC is NOT...they named themselves that way on purpose to confuse buyers.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts