Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'd like to hear from anyone with dog allergies who successfully has a "hypoallergenic" (I know there's no such thing, really) breed. I'm curious to hear first-hand comparisons: For some people, did bichons work better than poodles? How about Maltese? What about Poochon or Maltipoo (I wouldn't consider a doodle that's not comprised of "hypoallergenic" parents... so no goldendoodles, etc.) But I'm really trying to sort out if poodles are really best... or are bichons or other breeds equally good for allergy sufferers? Also curious if you had an adjustment period to get used to the dog, during which time your allergies flared and maybe you needed Zyrtec? For how long? Are you able to have a dog without taking medication long-term? TIA.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Ours is a Poochon, she has mostly a poodle body build, and definitely a bischon coat. I don't know that either of us are allergic to dogs, but the fact that she does not shed is certainly a big plus. She does require monthly grooming.

·
Super Moderator
7,248 Posts
Another factor to consider is that it's often the dander (and sometimes the saliva) that causes the allergic reaction, and all dogs have that.

You are likelier to get a healthier dog if you choose a well bred pedigree than a mix though. Good breeders do tests on their dogs to make sure they aren't passing on inherited health defects. After going to that trouble and expense, they are more likely to breed with another health tested dog of the same breed than crossing.

·
Administrator
1,656 Posts
Hi - I'd like to hear from anyone with dog allergies who successfully has a "hypoallergenic" (I know there's no such thing, really) breed. I'm curious to hear first-hand comparisons: For some people, did bichons work better than poodles? How about Maltese? What about Poochon or Maltipoo (I wouldn't consider a doodle that's not comprised of "hypoallergenic" parents... so no goldendoodles, etc.) But I'm really trying to sort out if poodles are really best... or are bichons or other breeds equally good for allergy sufferers? Also curious if you had an adjustment period to get used to the dog, during which time your allergies flared and maybe you needed Zyrtec? For how long? Are you able to have a dog without taking medication long-term? TIA.
Hi.

All dogs have dander and all dogs produce saliva, so if you/your family member are allergic to them, then all dogs are going to be equally allergenic. Likewise, really with the fur allergy. If you're allergic to the fur, then any breed with hair instead of fur should be fine.

So what else are you looking for in a dog?
Why do those particular breeds/crosses appeal over and above their "hypoallergenic" status?
What can you offer a dog in terms of exercise, mental stimulation, grooming?
How long is the dog likely to be lefty alone per day/week?
Work out how much you think a dog will cost in terms of food, bowls, collars/harnesses/leashes, toys, beds, grooming/vet visits, and then add an additional 10-20% because we always underestimate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi.

All dogs have dander and all dogs produce saliva, so if you/your family member are allergic to them, then all dogs are going to be equally allergenic. Likewise, really with the fur allergy. If you're allergic to the fur, then any breed with hair instead of fur should be fine.

So what else are you looking for in a dog?
Why do those particular breeds/crosses appeal over and above their "hypoallergenic" status?
What can you offer a dog in terms of exercise, mental stimulation, grooming?
How long is the dog likely to be lefty alone per day/week?
Work out how much you think a dog will cost in terms of food, bowls, collars/harnesses/leashes, toys, beds, grooming/vet visits, and then add an additional 10-20% because we always underestimate.
Great points. I do think that some people self-report greater success with certain breeds over others, hence my looking for personal experiences with the above breeds. Cost, exercise and grooming should not be an issue, fenced yard (and my husband and I are experienced dog owners) and someone is home almost all the time. That said, I'd also welcome any comments distinguishing poodle/bichon/maltese in terms of temperament, including around children (who are respectful to dogs). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've had allergies to furry animals since I was a like girl 😟 Although my allergies to cats and horses are a lot worse than dogs, I score a 2 for dog allergies. My parents got a mini schnauzer and I've had them ever since. The only times I'll notice a reaction is if I'm combing or cutting hair.

Allergies are so weird though and individual for everyone. Oddly enough I'm not allergic to my dog's saliva, but if a rottie licks me, I sometimes will get hives. If a cat scratches or bites me, it leaves really itchy welts. I don't seem to be as allergic to persian cats, but burmese cats with shorter hair causes more reaction to the point of asthma. When we are doggy sitting a shitzu, I sneeze like crazy, maybe some itchy eyes, but it was ok for a few days. Different reactions for different breeds and animals.

I don't have much real experience with the breeds you are inquiring about, but I imagine the poodle would be the closest to schnauzer hair and dander/saliva.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One thing about any of the breeds is that the frequency of grooming contributes to their reputation for being hypoallergenic. I used to know someone with asthma and a greyhound. Every week he put the dog in the shower and gave it a sudsy massage with a stiff rubber brush to remove any loose hair and dandruff. As long the dog got its weekly bath the owner's asthma stayed under control. In contrast, he would have trouble with a friend's standard poodle during the summer. The poodle only got bathed every six weeks or so. The curly coat would collected pollen and dust between baths, which would then trigger his asthma.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My wife is severely allergic to cats and slightly allergic to most dogs. We chose for a poodle for this reason and she has no problems. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have dog allergies here & from my own experience it really does depend on the dog, but the ones who are "hypo" (which we have now) are definitely much less irritating. I did have a maltichon years ago (maltese-bichon mix) & he was a very nervous dog & not good around small children or autistics as we are an autism family. He was treated well & loved but odd noises & behaviors were not his deal. He was also overprotective with anyone coming into the home to the point of snapping at a friend of mine, so I had to re-home him, but from what I was told by the rescue he did well in a quiet home. He came from a breeder but they were out-of-state & I don't believe he was as socialized as I was led to believe.

My current two are also "hypo" & definitely well-tolerated allergy-wise. I am proactive though. They have beautiful hair but due to the allergies they are groomed to be shorter every 6-8wks. & bathed in between groomings as needed. I use a shampoo called "Allersearch" for their baths, & I've even given it to the groomer to use on them (only needed 1x/mo). If they happen to need a bath in between I'll use a hypo baby shampoo. Once or twice a week I use Allerpet on them, & they are brushed daily. I also feed them a freeze dried raw food died as I've found diet makes a difference in how much shed happens. They're digestively sensitive, so get probiotics & just started a new supplement in their food as well that also helps with their coats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have dog allergies here & from my own experience it really does depend on the dog, but the ones who are "hypo" (which we have now) are definitely much less irritating. I did have a maltichon years ago (maltese-bichon mix) & he was a very nervous dog & not good around small children or autistics as we are an autism family. He was treated well & loved but odd noises & behaviors were not his deal. He was also overprotective with anyone coming into the home to the point of snapping at a friend of mine, so I had to re-home him, but from what I was told by the rescue he did well in a quiet home. He came from a breeder but they were out-of-state & I don't believe he was as socialized as I was led to believe.

My current two are also "hypo" & definitely well-tolerated allergy-wise. I am proactive though. They have beautiful hair but due to the allergies they are groomed to be shorter every 6-8wks. & bathed in between groomings as needed. I use a shampoo called "Allersearch" for their baths, & I've even given it to the groomer to use on them (only needed 1x/mo). If they happen to need a bath in between I'll use a hypo baby shampoo. Once or twice a week I use Allerpet on them, & they are brushed daily. I also feed them a freeze dried raw food died as I've found diet makes a difference in how much shed happens. They're digestively sensitive, so get probiotics & just started a new supplement in their food as well that also helps with their coats.
Thank you, Thea95, for this feedback! May I ask what kinds of dogs you have right now?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you, Thea95, for this feedback! May I ask what kinds of dogs you have right now?
Sure - we have Mi-Ki's - they're not too well known but the breed has been around since the 80s. Mine are sisters from different litters. They are beautiful with wonderful, loving, loyal personalities. One is a bit more of a 'rascal' but they're both little clowns. They're great with everyone too. They are not really on the active side, though, as they have rather short-lived play energy bursts & then become little couch potatoes & lap dogs, which works well for us. We love cats (but my son has a bad cat allergy, unfortunately) & I actually found them by researching cat-like dogs LOL.

Forgot to mention above that we also use allergy meds as needed (we have other environmental allergies & it's spring cough) & I wash their blankets & bedding regularly. It's a bit of work but I've found they're very worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts