Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my pomsky for grooming, and the groomer shaved him off completely due to a misunderstanding. His hair grew back now after 2 months, however it isn't as smooth and as black as it was before. What could i do to make it black and smooth like before.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If your dog is a Pomeranian, I have been told by Pomeranian owners, once their fur is cut short, its texture is forever changed, & will never be the same. You might check with your Vet, or a different groomer, to see if there is anything you can use to help it as much as possible. That groomer should have known better.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Unfortunately there is no guarantee that it will grow back the way it once was, and it can take 6 months or longer to know just how his coat will turn out.

You can help by keeping the coat brushed out, brush him at least every other day so that the undercoat does not catch the top coat as it's growing out. The reason that happens is that the top coat grows slower then the undercoat. Feed him a good quality diet, since diet affects the coat.

Other then that it's just a waiting game. My terrier mix was shaved only once, and that was without my permission, his coat was never the same afterwards even though I never again shaved him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Many years ago my Sheltie had to have half his abdomen and back leg shaved for surgery. The vet recommended we give him a fish oil supplement and I think a multivitamin. (This was many years ago so I cannot remember exactly what it was). It took almost 1 year for his hair to look normal again. I would discuss it with a good groomer and your vet. Our Sheltie’s hair on that side always was a little different than his other side, but with time it wasn’t really noticible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts