Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I'm needing some help on the situation i'm having.. my pomeranian male got a round treat and as he was chewing it lodged it in his throat, resulting in him choking. We attempted to get the treat out ourselves but it did not work. He was throwing up white foamy substance (also known as flem) several times, he was wheezing and had choked breathing. We rushed him to the vets and while there he received a shot to release the throat spasm's. The treat was by then gone and he was just acting lethargic and throwing up, this happened yesterday evening. He is still throwing up, acting tipsy and will not eat solids. Only liquid's (water etc). He received another shot today for both his back and throat. My question is if anyone else had dealt with the same thing or something similar? I'm not sure what to do exactly, how long did it take for your dog to come out of it and what symptom's did it have? He also acts very stiff and walks very slow.

Any input would be great. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Zody will occasionally do that. Usually I wait while he tries to cough it up. Depending on how bad it is I'll lift under his chin and get him to extend his throat out to see if it helps. If he keeps coughing for more then a minute or two I give him a tablespoon of plain yogurt to try and help push the treat down. The last I learned from my own experience of having pills get caught in my throat, the yogurt helps better then water to get the pill down.

Zody's treats are mainly soft so they don't tend to actually scratch up his throat, if your boy had a hard, scratchy, treat it may be that he's scratched his throat, or it could be that the treat jamming in it managed to cause the throat to swell a bit. The swelling my take a few days to subside.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Personally, if he's still having problems and your current vet is not concerned, I would take him to a different vet for a 2nd opinion and an X-ray. If he aspirated anything (i.e. inhaled fluid or debris into his lungs) he could potentially go down hill quite fast. The fact that he was vomiting while he was choking increases the chances of him potentially aspirating something.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Pomeranians are susceptible to collapsed trachea which may or may not be a contributing factor. Regardless you need a Vet involved to diagnose any potential issue and come up with a treatment plan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts