Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting into formal obedience trials with Levi at some point (waaaaay in the future), so we've been practicing position changes at a distance.

I'm having a few problems:

1. He always creeps forwards on the stand, I need some advice on how to maybe just get him "pop" up into the stand.

2. His response times are a little slow. I've tried only rewarding fast responses, but it doesn't seem to speed him up. I've also tried using steak, peanut butter, and a variety of treats, but no luck.

Position Changes

Also, so sorry for the vertical filming, how obnoxious of me! :(

Reactions: cos and kmes

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Video is marked as private and cannot be viewed...

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I feel like with more confidence he should start to move quicker, but he seems to be really responsive (although I was not able to listen to it with sound).

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like with more confidence he should start to move quicker, but he seems to be really responsive (although I was not able to listen to it with sound).
Probably for the best, you'd hear my squeaky "Good Boooooooy" at the end. :p

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Looking good!
Don't forget the stand to down though!

I'm not training for obedience but the trainer I take classes with uses the same methods in our freestyle classes especially position changes and speedy responses. So double check with obedience people on how which feet stay still when but...

We use often targets to help fine tune position changes, add distance, and keep feet still/not to creep forward. Backfoot targets for drops or folding downs (stand to down). Front foot targets to retrain sits if the dog rocks rather than tucks. Not sure which target you would want for a stand at a distance in obedience... However in heel, I'm using a front foot target atm so Leggs learns to keep front feet still and move his rear (sit to stand) so that he stays in proper heel position.:)

To get speedy changes we use variations of this exercise:
This was very early on... I was actually working on adding the verbal cue for down but still may help.
You start by cueing or getting the dog into the wanted position, heavily reinforce and reset into the position the dog needs to move from. I was working stand to down in the vid, but can be tweaked for any position change. For example if wanting to work down to sit, you would cue sit and reward with several treats, then cue down (if well known won't need to reward or can reward with single treat) to reset. Then cue a sit again and heavily reinforce. I'm doing different variations like stand to bravo with Dexter atm as we're prepping for a Rally FrEe trial. Due to the heavy reinforcement of one position they start to move quite quickly into that position.

Once the speed and movement we want is solid, we add distance. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Oh!
Also when working distance we almost always toss the rewards behind our dogs. If not then we walk over and feed our dogs whole keeping position on a target. Also helps teach the dogs not to creep forward. :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@kmes Thank you! I will try those suggestions! I can't believe I completely forgot stand to down! >.<
@jclark343 - He does try to make me look good. Bugger seems to really "turn it on" for classes.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@kmes Thank you! I will try those suggestions! I can't believe I completely forgot stand to down! >.<
@jclark343 - He does try to make me look good. Bugger seems to really "turn it on" for classes.
Forbes does that too! I had agility class the other day and when I say this boy got everything I asked I am not exaggerating. Everyone thinks I work with him all the time when honestly I really don't. I don't know if it is him or the breed but everyday I am amazed by him! And I feel like Levi sounds the same way!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forbes does that too! I had agility class the other day and when I say this boy got everything I asked I am not exaggerating. Everyone thinks I work with him all the time when honestly I really don't. I don't know if it is him or the breed but everyday I am amazed by him! And I feel like Levi sounds the same way!
Aussies: Making the sometimes lazy trainer look like a superstar. :p

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Ahhh I can't get over Levi's eyebrow!! I've never noticed it before, it's so cute :D

(sorry for going off-topic)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh I can't get over Levi's eyebrow!! I've never noticed it before, it's so cute :D

(sorry for going off-topic)
Oh my gosh we joke about that all the time! We always say he got drunk at a party and his friends must have shaved it off. :p

Reactions: Rileysaur
1 - 12 of 12 Posts