Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
So my fiance' and I took in a dog that was in need of a re-home; her previous owners adopted her a couple years ago from the SPCA to give their other dog a friend, but had issues with the two of them brawling every once in awhile. They were around the same age and the other dog had been with the parents since she was a puppy, so we all think it was just a severe case of dominance/ownership over the parents!
Anyway, when they adopted her they were told she was a labrador/hound mix and around 2 or 3 years old (which makes her about 4 or 5 now, but considering her dental health and energy level, I feel she is closer to 3 or 4. Could just be she's in fantastic shape at her age, though!)

So I did some research to figure out what exactly she is, and I've looked into all of the AKC known dog breeds and came out with a couple possibilities. I really believe she has American Pointer in her, based on some of her markings on her paws and face (she has light little whisps of white spots on her face, like someone accidentally grazed her with a paint brush!) and possibly still some labrador retriever. But her coat color is definitely not typical of either breed, it is yellow-y, but it has a rust colored kind of tint to it which makes many people believe she is possibly mixed with golden retriever. Only reason I don't see it being possible is because her fur is not at all feathery and soft like a goldie, it's more average length and coarse on her back/tail. Naturally, the color brought my attention to Vizslas, and judging by her general face and body features (aside from her tail and lighter tones in her fur) maybe she has Vizsla, too! Now, the possibility of it being Lab, Vizsla, AND american pointer? That's where I need opinions!

What do you guys think!? Sorry for the poor quality pics, my phone's camera is obviously not the greatest....

IMG_20150829_225928.jpg

IMAG4622.jpg

IMAG4635.jpg

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
well she does look like a labrador/hound mix.
Viszlas are hounds as far as I know and they're also a type of pointers/Vorstehhund, so that's possible, espeically since they get more common, at least here in Germany. :)
she reminds me a bit of a bavarian Mountain hound. :)
i actually didn'T know there was a breed called American Pointer, so i had to google it. ^w^

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Labradors do come in ee yellow which shade can vary from milky (Samoyed) into deep red (red Irish setter). The shade can vary also on one dog, some areas being darker than others. I have seen pale yellow labs, yellow labs and pics of what is apparently called fox red.

American pointer apparently has some sort of yellow/red for their breed standard mentions lemon and Google image search threw some red dogs.

There is another color that can look like your dog and that's sable but it is difficult to say from the pic if the dog is yellow/red or sable. If she was sable she would have black shading somewhere, likely on the ears and maybe on the back and a black/shaded spot on the tail. Black can be diluted into brown and I have great difficulties in telling a chocolate sable from an ee yellow for the brown shading is not so easy to see on red base, but chocolate dog should also have chocolate nose, eye-rims, and lips (unless they are non-pigmented aka pink).

The last picture hints that the nose is not solid black but pads seem to be black so that suggests yellow. I am though not sure what color a chocolate dog's pads would be. Yellow is recessive trait in E locus so it has to come from both parents. Sable is dominant in locus A but Labs and likely pointers too are dominant black in K locus which hides whatever the dog has in A (Labs have Black & Tan there at least).

The white markings would match with a Lab Pointer cross. Pointers have piebald and labs are solid. So the piebald pushes through the solid but not quite.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There is a shade of yellow in Labs that is dark like that. It's referred to as fox red. That said, I think it's possible she has some Viszla in her. She's a very pretty girl.

Viszlas are hounds as far as I know and they're also a type of pointers/Vorstehhund, so that's possible, espeically since they get more common, at least here in Germany. :)...
Here in the States, they're classified as a Sporting breed.

...i actually didn'T know there was a breed called American Pointer, so i had to google it. ^w^...
There isn't. Or at least one recognized by the AKC or UKC. The American Pointer Club that came up hen I Googled American Pointer, is the AKC parent club for Pointers. Confusing, I know. Similar thing with American Pointer Rescue- it's the name of a Pointer rescue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
So she has the "houndy" neck :) so adorable. There are "red" labs but like a purebred redbone being bone black & tan this is considered a genetic mutation and not ideal so you don't see it often. That being said I totally buy Hound/Lab mix. Especially if she has a hound bark to back her up.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
406 Posts
.... There are "red" labs but like a purebred redbone being bone black & tan this is considered a genetic mutation and not ideal so you don't see it often...
Not quite. "Fox red" is an acceptable shade of yellow. From the AKC standard:
Yellow-Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog.

They're showing up in the breed ring more often now, too.
Fox Red Labradors of Today - Penara Labrador Retrievers

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not quite. "Fox red" is an acceptable shade of yellow. From the AKC standard:
Yellow-Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog.

They're showing up in the breed ring more often now, too.
Fox Red Labradors of Today - Penara Labrador Retrievers
While I did not know that they were AKC recognized, the world we live in isn't a show ring. I knew a couple of years ago that this was considered a deficiency.

Breeders often aren't euthanizing redbone born black & tans it doesn't really mean that is what people think of as the "ideal". I have a friend who's family has yellow labs and would only ever have a YELLOW lab since that is what they went to the Breeder for in the first place.

The world we live in is a crazy place.

·
Registered
406 Posts
While I did not know that they were AKC recognized, the world we live in isn't a show ring. I knew a couple of years ago that this was considered a deficiency...
The funny thing is, fox reds seem to be more common outside the show ring then in. Anyway, what I was getting at was that it is an acceptable color. Some people may not like it, or want it in their breeding program, but it's a perfectly acceptable shade of yellow- no deficiency. :) Similar to a breeder I know who doesn't prefer the chocolate color. None of her dogs are chocolate, nor do they carry the chocolate color. Granted, with fox red being a shade of yellow, it's harder to "avoid" it, but it can be attempted.

I agree, the world we live in is a crazy place.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I see cur, Hound features, maybe some pointer type features. It's really hard to day what she is with any certainty. Viszlas are not very common so I think not as likely but not impossible either. Doesn't look like much of a lab but if mixed with another breed then traits of one breed might not be apparent.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a lab/english pointer mix and his color is similar to your dogs. But he has more white with that golden lemon-ish color markings. His patter is more like the pointer. But your dog's head reminds me of a hound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts