Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
can you help me with choice of dog following this criterions.
I want small dog.Nothing big or medium size.It can be really little doggy fitting to hand :) :D

Thanx for all advices !

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
What is your lifestyle? do you work all the time? will you be home a lot during the day and weekend? how active are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your lifestyle? do you work all the time? will you be home a lot during the day and weekend? how active are you?
well.. couple of hours will be dog alone when i will be at work.. after then dog would have company , fun, movement and things like that ..

by the way that yorkie looks nice ..
i was wondering about jack russel, but i dont know if he isn't little bit bigger when grow up..

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I suggest you take a trip to your local shelter and rescue a dog from there. If you work more than 4 hours a day I suggest adopting an older dog. Puppies need constant stimulation when they are awake and go potty just like any other babies...A LOT lol. Jack Russels are very very active dogs. Do you go on jogs? walks? hiking? etc etc regularly? Do you work 8 hour shifts? Are you the only one there or are there multiple people in the household? Apartment? Condo? House? Size of living space does matter :) There is a lot of thinking and planning behind owning a dog. Is this your first dog? Did you grow up with dogs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest you take a trip to your local shelter and rescue a dog from there. If you work more than 4 hours a day I suggest adopting an older dog. Puppies need constant stimulation when they are awake and go potty just like any other babies...A LOT lol. Jack Russels are very very active dogs. Do you go on jogs? walks? hiking? etc etc regularly? Do you work 8 hour shifts? Are you the only one there or are there multiple people in the household? Apartment? Condo? House? Size of living space does matter :) There is a lot of thinking and planning behind owning a dog. Is this your first dog? Did you grow up with dogs?
yes, working for 8 hour shifts mostly.. living in apartment, just me..and sometimes girlfriend will be able to watch the dog..
i have two dogs when i was younger.. but there was house and family .. and it was different.
hm..yeah jack russels are active.. hm.. yeah i go on walks and things like that..
just looking on pugs and cavalier king charles .. maybe they will be better than hyperactive jack russels :)
and yeah..lot of thinking a planning :) really appreciating your help

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yes, working for 8 hour shifts mostly.. living in apartment, just me..and sometimes girlfriend will be able to watch the dog..
i have two dogs when i was younger.. but there was house and family .. and it was different.
hm..yeah jack russels are active.. hm.. yeah i go on walks and things like that..
just looking on pugs and cavalier king charles .. maybe they will be better than hyperactive jack russels :)
and yeah..lot of thinking a planning :) really appreciating your help
No problem. I think rescuing a somewhat older dog, about a year old would be best due to your working hours, especially in an apartment because you will need to restrict your dog to one room or a crate (recommended) and crate training can take awhile with a young pup.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I really really really (did I say really?) don't recommend a JRT for a first (or even second) dog. They are not as easy as they look and exercise alone is only part of the large equation.

Pugs can get up to 30lb + so i don't know if they fit into your "small dog" range. Cavaliers are awesome but have LOTS of health issues.

I recomend getting a dog bred to be a companion...chihuahua, shitzus, pomeranian...etc.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i recommend looking on petfinder and adopting a dog that has been in foster care. you'll get a chance to meet the dog and talk to the foster mom/dad about him/her before you adopt.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts