Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, we adopted a dog, the shelter said the dog was a lacy dog. ( we played with the dog in a meet and greet room for about 20 mins) we had him fixed. when we picked the dog up the vet tech. said she thinks our dog is just a mut a mixed on everything maybe even a pit mix. we do not want a pit mix at all. can i got some opinions pls as to what yall think the dog might be pls.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Right... from those photos I would not rule out Lacy or Pit mix. You'd have to take clearer ones for a good opinion.

Seconding Poppy's question, though.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Need full body pictures. He could be a pit mix. Depending on where you're located, many dogs in shelters are pit mixes. How common are Lacy's in your area?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It's kind of impossible to even see him in those pictures so I won't even offer an idea. But why are you so against Pit mixes? They're great dogs. If you thought he was a great dog when you adopted him, why should his breed matter? Most dogs who come from shelters are just stamped with generic "pit/bully" mix because that's what people expect. Don't panic.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
My husband once hazarded the guess that perhaps Kabota has some pit in him, because he likes people so much. At that moment, Kabota, who we'd had for a year, was sleeping on my mother-in-law's lap and she shrieked and pushed him off her lap.

So, yeah, some people care.

However, we were able to reason with her that no matter what Kabota is, he's still Kabota, and that pits aren't demons in disguise out to eat old lady's souls.

That dog? I dunno. Lab mixes and pit mixes are virtually indistinguishable, hounds can look pitty, and don't get me started on the dogo cane presa dogs out there with squarish heads.

·
Registered
812 Posts
That sweet, sweet dog? Well, if you love him, I don't see what the huge deal is. In the 1900s, pits were THE dog to get if you had kids. Move over goldens! As a matter of fact, pit bulls had the affectionate nickname of "nanny dogs." I wouldn't call your dog a "pit mix", per say. Perhaps just a touch of American Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Lab as well. Could be hound. I second amaryllis. Just stay calm. If you treat him right, he'll love you forever. That's what dogs are for.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You used "please" twice in the same sentence... Why so frantic? Even if there is some pit in the mix why would that matter? You adopted him because you thought he was a good dog, right? He's not judging you based on your genetics. He just knows you saved him from a place he doesn't want to be and he loves you. Don't let the media's efforts to make a villan and boost their ratings stop you from getting to know a dog worth cherishing just because he MIGHT have some pit in him. Give him the kind of compassion and understanding you would want if people discriminated against you if you were black or white or fat or thin or Jewish or Muslim... Every one deserves acceptance, love!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mix is a mix. Don't judge the dog on what the breed is suppose to be like, judge it on its actual personality. If it had pit in it what are you worried about?
Dogs don't just decide to be aggressive one day, if this dog seems egal to learn and is doing well with training and seems to be fitting your life does it really matter what mix it is?

·
Registered
438 Posts
If someone doesn't want a pit mix, for whatever reason, there's nothing wrong with that.
I agree with this. Specifically because a lot of housing complexes/dog parks do not allow pits or pit mixes and they are banned in certain areas around the world if traveling was a concern.

I've learned so much about dog breeds on this forum. I did not know that a "Lacy" was a breed of dog. Learned about a "Brittany" a couple weeks ago. Before I knew what a "lacy" was, I would have said your dog looks like a pit mix. After googling pictures of Lacys, I think your dog looks like a Lacy.

Be prepared for people to think it's a pit mix though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If he is loving, kind, gentle and handsome then there is possibility he could have pit in him. If you don't want him because he might have pitbull in him then he would probably be better off with someone who will love him for who he is.

I have had 9 dogs in my life so far (5 currently). Sindy was a Staffordshire bull terrier American pitbull terrier mix that was rescued from an abusive home and was used in a fighting ring from the time she was 4 months old until she escaped from the garden she was kept in and followed me home from school 10 years ago. I have never had a dog who was so loving, easy to train and an all around dog. She held no hatred for humans after the horrors she was put through. She loved other dogs and was so gentle and kind with puppies. I couldn't have wished for a better dog.

Don't judge a book by it's cover!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently adopted a dog, Big Head, that is for sure a pit mix. He is the best dog ever and I love him dearly, even though he has some issues with fear.

However, the whole reason we got him in the first place was because his owner was moving to an area with a bully breed ban. I agree with not judging a book by its cover, but I also believe that its none of our business on why someone doesn't want a particular breed of dog. We don't know this person's situation. For example, they may live in an area that has a breed ban. Or they may have had a really bad experience with a pit...my partner wouldn't even consider adopting any terrier or terrier mixes because she has had a really bad experience with them. Since the dog is the ONLY member of your family that you get to choose, it's important to go with your heart.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If someone doesn't want a pit mix, for whatever reason, there's nothing wrong with that.
This. There's no reason to guilt or convince someone to get a breed of dog they obviously don't want. Everyone has their own reasons.

Perhaps that reason could be something as simple and inconvenient as breed restrictions in the poster's apartment complex. While a pittie type dog doesn't particularly appeal to me I would not get one in case I must eventually move to a new apartment. I don't want to have to deal with the complications associated with it.

If the issue is simply misunderstanding pit bulls' personalities and thinking the dog may "snap" or something then it's possible to reassure someone. Convincing someone to adopt a dog when they have housing restrictions in place is irresponsible IMO. Even if an entire dog forum agreed that the dog was not a pit mix a complex owner may still disagree if the dog is stocky with a blocky head and not allow the dog.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Agreed, but first confirm it IS a pit-mix before making a decision to return the dog (if that's in the cards for the OP). Guessing breed based on looks is about 50% accurate - even for very experienced people, including vet and vet techs - who see the dog in person. Guessing based on a poor head-only picture, and basing a decision on that is simply silly.

OP, if you are really concerned, get a DNA test. They aren't 100% accurate, but they're more accurate than guesses based on how a dog looks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This. There's no reason to guilt or convince someone to get a breed of dog they obviously don't want. Everyone has their own reasons.

Perhaps that reason could be something as simple and inconvenient as breed restrictions in the poster's apartment complex. While a pittie type dog doesn't particularly appeal to me I would not get one in case I must eventually move to a new apartment. I don't want to have to deal with the complications associated with it.

The op post said that he/she really doesn't want a pit mix not that they can't have one for whatever reason that is why I said what I have learned from previous experiences with pitulls and their beautiful personality. I understand that people dislike certain breeds. For example I am not a fan of cocker spaniels but if I went to a rescue center and spent time getting to know one and decided that he or she was right for me then I would give the dog nothing but love and care for the dog as long as long as it lives on this earth :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
He did get a dog that he knew wasn't a pit mix. He got a Lacy. Other people have said it looks like a pit mix and that's why he posed the question. Most people will probably think that dog is a pit mix, even though it probably is a Lacy.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

The op post said that he/she really doesn't want a pit mix not that they can't have one for whatever reason that is why I said what I have learned from previous experiences with pitulls and their beautiful personality. I understand that people dislike certain breeds. For example I am not a fan of cocker spaniels but if I went to a rescue center and spent time getting to know one and decided that he or she was right for me then I would give the dog nothing but love and care for the dog as long as long as it lives on this earth :D
They said that they "do not want a pit mix at all", didn't say why. I do agree that if it's simply the negative media hype associated with pits that is deterring the poster that they reconsider their logic. Don't send the dog back simply because your cousin's neighbor's son's mother in law had a "pit bull" that growled at their kid once. Evaluate the dog for what he is before deciding how to proceed. Plus, pit bulls can be a handful for people with limited dog experience. They are definitely not the right breed for everyone, and if the poster doesn't think that the breed is a good fit then it's best to return the dog now rather than later. That said, in my limited knowledge of lacy dogs they aren't the dogs for everyone either.

If the issue is a breed ban of some sort, why didn't they get a dog that they knew wasn't a pit bull?
By that same logic you'd expect someone who simply really disliked pit bulls (for whatever reason) to do the same. Not everyone is familiar with dog breeds, so they probably took the shelter's word for it that the dog was a lacy dog.

In the end the moral of this story is that there's really no way to tell based on the photos provided. I wouldn't rule out this dog as being a pit mix, but pit bulls are notoriously misidentified in our society. Better photos would be needed of both the head and dog's body, and even then I doubt you'd get a clear answer from here. If you are hesitant to own a pit/pit mix because of restrictions in your area you may run into troubles down the line if your dog closely resembles a pit mix. If you're hesitant because of preconceived notions about pit bulls then talk to pit owners, think about your stance, consider how well the dog fits into your household already, and make a decision. I do think that pits can make fine dogs, but urging someone to adopt a dog that they don't think is right for their household won't do the dog or person any favors.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Guys, you are judging the poster without knowing WHY they dont' want a pitbull or pit mix. They did not seek out a pitbull. If you guys who are bashing the OP say why should it matter it does. Not many people have the stomache to handle the pressure of owning a pitbull or a pitbull mix. I am one of those type of people. I love the breed, but owning one is just not what I want to deal with.

Look at it this way, WE are only human. And IMAGE is a big thing for us. (Some more then others.) When the uneducated people sees a person with a pitbull or their mix, they automatically think, that person is a drug dealer, or that person must fight dogs because they own a pitbull. Because that is what many uneducated people see when they see a pitbull and their owner. Image is important to us. No one wants to deal with the pressures of owning a pitbull. (I appreciate and respect those who do and show uneducated people that pitbulls are amazing dogs.) But Image is always a thing with us. There is too much pressure in my opinion of owning a pitbull or a pitbull mix. It could very easily be the same for this poster. Too much pressure.

And that is all I have to say about that.

As for the OP, as others have said, we need better pictures to know for sure, but if people are telling you it looks pitbull mix, then you need to make a decision. I don't know why you don't want a pitbull or their mixes and I don't want to know. But please read up about the american pitbull terrier to get an idea of the breed. If you feel you are up for becoming an abassator of the breed, that is great, if you are not up for it, don't force yourself. You went to adopt a dog that wasn't what you thought it was. If you got it from a rescue group, send it back and let them know that you do not want the pressure of owning a pitbull looking dog from other people. If it's a shelter, I suggest to find a rescue group to take the dog. No one should be forced to own a dog they don't want otherwise the dog will be the one to suffer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts