Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help...my shorkie has developed several (5) scabs around his bum / tail. I am presuming that these are bites but have treated him for ticks and fleas and he still has the scabs and I'm beginning to worry that they might be something else?

Can anyone tell me if they are bites and if so what is bring him, if not what are they?

I've attached pics

Would really appreciate any help / advice?

Rach

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
While I always recommend a thorough vet visit for these kind of things (as we can't diagnose over the internet) those looks exactly like Cosmo's spots which he chews himself.

What are the main ingredients in your dogs food? (The top five or so ingredients in your food ingredients section on the bag) He may not be getting the right proteins and nutrients which is causing skin issues. He may also have allergies, or lingering flea bites he's chewing open. It looks like Cosmos spots that he's chewed out by the looks of the broken skin.

I would definitely ask your vet if they think you should do any tests on him and give your food a look over. You may have a dog that's allergic to something in the food. Corn and grains are common allergies.

What kind of flea treatment do you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you...

Hi

Thanks ever so for your reply.

His food is made up of

BLEND COMPOSITION
Total meat content 52%; chicken 36.3% (including 24.9% from dehydrated chicken), maize, beef 9.1%, wheat, beet pulp, meat meal 4.9%, maize gluten feed, maize gluten, wheat feed, brown rice, seaweed meal, gravy (digest) 1.1%, linseed, yeast, brewer's yeast, peas, fish meal 0.2%, chicory extract, barley

I did change his food about a month ago so am pretty sure that you are right about it being an allergy...should have thought of it but was sure it was bites!

His flea stuff is front line spot on...I've used it before several times....

Will get in touch with the vet and get him allergy tested

Thanks again and kind regards

Rach

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Have you bathed him it looks like flea dirt and it also looks like an infection. Off to the the vet for a check. Also monitor the skin to make sure the flea product is working. If your dog is allergic you have to make sure the fleas stay off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts