Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wasn't sure if I should put this in behavior or gear so here goes. Mister and Rascal take turns destroying each others collars...not really sure what this is about, but of course it is very exciting. I would like to get durable collars for them (that aren't spiked) and I am looking for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
So I wasn't sure if I should put this in behavior or gear so here goes. Mister and Rascal take turns destroying each others collars...not really sure what this is about, but of course it is very exciting. I would like to get durable collars for them (that aren't spiked) and I am looking for suggestions. Thanks!
I would suggest trying a leather collar. I am not talking about those super fancy, and expensive ones with all the details. I am talking about the simple ones that are actually high quality, real leather collars. I know for sure Julius K9 has them because I used to have it. Libby had all her tags on her collar and it was so loud during the night when she moved, so I took her collar off since she is mostly inside. When we are outside she has her harness on.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Take the collars off when they play or buy a chain link collar like this

They'll destroy that leather collar just like a nylon one.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I like biothane. They stand up pretty well. But if they're that rough on collars you may want to take them off as they can snag a tooth and require it to be extracted..the whole thing can be pretty painful.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another vote for biothane.

If you'd like to stop the behavior, try spraying some Bitter Apple, or something similar, on your dogs necks (no collars unless you're taking them out). After a few days, nylon collars with it. I'd go with cheap ones at first, just in case it doesn't work. Eventually you should be able to put whatever collar you want on them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You don't say what size your dogs are, but I highly recommend Blocky Dogs collars for big dogs. They also have Baby Blockies for puppies and smaller dogs. Blocky Dog collars are designed for heavy duty dogs, and are superbly made. My dog has had his for four years and it has held up beautifully. I put it in the wash and it comes out looking like new.

Custom Dog Collars for Heavy duty dogs

Baby Blockies

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Please whatever you do, do not get a choke collar, they can be very damaging to your pups. Used wrong can cause serious problems.

Try the Biothane as suggested by @Kwennami and @SueM.

Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! They are both between 65-75 lbs. I will check out the biothane collars. We did try bitter spray, but it just doesn't seem to bother them. The collars are important for their ID tags. Rascal has proven himself to be an escape artist, and was gonna all day on Monday (I found out later he followed someone home and she was busy babying him most of the afternoon). They are micro-chipped, but I like the extra security of ID tags.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The collar a posted is a slip collar just because those were the only ones that came up when I google imaged "chain link collar" but I'm sure there are not slip collars and if not, a key ring or a mini carabiner through the two rings and its not a choke collar.

The important thing is that it's made out of metal. If your dogs really like to chew on each others collars and taking them off is not an option, there is no other choice

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The collar a posted is a slip collar just because those were the only ones that came up when I google imaged "chain link collar" but I'm sure there are not slip collars and if not, a key ring or a mini carabiner through the two rings and its not a choke collar.

The important thing is that it's made out of metal. If your dogs really like to chew on each others collars and taking them off is not an option, there is no other choice

Even doing that there's still a huge danger that the choke chain can catch on something, if that happens it will be so thin that a panicking dog can easily cause it to twist tight and strangle him. It's the reason those collars are only recommended when the person is training the dog. It's a small danger with all collars and a calculated risk owners take when they put a collar on their dog, but with a choke chain with all the dangling rings it's a pretty big one and I feel the risk outweighs the benefits.

Reactions: harleyboysmom

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Even doing that there's still a huge danger that the choke chain can catch on something, if that happens it will be so thin that a panicking dog can easily cause it to twist tight and strangle him. It's the reason those collars are only recommended when the person is training the dog. It's a small danger with all collars and a calculated risk owners take when they put a collar on their dog, but with a choke chain with all the dangling rings it's a pretty big one and I feel the risk outweighs the benefits.
I've seen tight fitting chain collars with large flat links. The point is again, if the dogs are determinedly chewing on each others collar it doesn't mattter if it's leather, biothane, whatever they'll still destroy it.

I still think the collars should come off but if that's not a choice use a metal collar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try putting some kind of hot pepper substance on the collars. Do they have adequate chew toys, play things and outside time to run, are they being left inside alone for long periods, like during workdays, it could stem from boredom?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Check into lupine they replace them free even if chewed. I have had some of mine for 6 to 7 years. Very durable but I have had a couple replaced because of chewing.
https://www.lupinepet.com

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try putting some kind of hot pepper substance on the collars. Do they have adequate chew toys, play things and outside time to run, are they being left inside alone for long periods, like during workdays, it could stem from boredom?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
They have a 1/4 acre partially wooded yard to romp to their hearts content, and there are the 4 of them so they are plenty of entertainment for each other. No they do not have toys in the yard because they are generally unsupervised and I prefer to avoid the possibility of resource guarding when I am not able to curb the behavior. Thanks for your input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts