Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new puppy owner. My little Bichon Murphy is 13 weeks old. Overall he od doing fairly well with the potty training. I live in Boston in an apartment so we are doing the potty pads and I would say he is 50/50 on making it to the pad on time or when he is left alone for a few hours.

My stress is this- he freaks the f--- out when I leave him behind. I let him have free reighn in my bedroom but he is gated in. he has a crate where his food and water and blanket are and he does in it willinglu, but if I shut the door he cries and yelps soooo loud. I live in an apartment with a room mate and don't want to irritate her OR the neighbors. When I leave he whines and yelps for a bit, and although she said it only lasts a few moments I am sure its not appreciated at 6 am!
I am a student and work a little during the week so I have to leave him for a few hours to a time.
When can I expect him to mellow out a bit? I feel stressed, overwhelmed and look forward to this "puppu" stage being over.
He also nips at my clothes and jumps up on us. I try to ignore and correct but it doesnt help.;(

On the positive side I taught him how to sit this week.

Please tell me it gets easier and better with time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It will get better, just be consistent and direct with him. Your in the foundation stage and if you let little things go it could affect his behavior for the long run. First make sure you pay attention to the jumping, ignoring it wont make it go away. Tell him "No, Down! Stay Down!" Firm, with Direct command words like "Down". He will pick up on the fact that its not good to jump. With the Kennel, try taking a few 5-15 min intervals and locking him up, walking out the door and coming back to let him out. Start slow, but you want to show him that he is going to be let out and that the kennel is not such a bad place. When I was training Gus every night he went to "Bed" he took his favorite toy and got a cookie. It became his safe place, where he could go, and hide or if he was in trouble he knew as long as he was in his "Bed" he was safe, and it was okay. It might be tuff to start but don't let him out if he cry's. That just means if I scream loud enough long enough I'll get my way. The TV show 'Its Me or the Dog' has a lot of good techniques. Victoria actually goes over some of the problems that you are having. See if you can find some old clips or reruns online somewhere. Hope this helps. Just remember it will get better. You just have to be consistent and direct.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

He is to young and to small to be left loose in a whole room. I would kennel him with one of your dirty shirts and some toys while you are gone.

As for the jumping and nipping. Walking away is good. You can add "off" then turn and walk away. I would not make a big deal out of it or he may find it entertaining and want to do it more.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It'll get better, especially with a bit of work on your part. Puppies are exhausting, and so are the 1 -4 year old Bichons until they mellow out and I wonder how any of us survive the experience. So worth it though!

I found this video for crate/being left alone training helpful:

We found scolding our Bichon when he was jumping and nipping to be of little use - it was much more effective to say "nope" or "oops" in a relaxed voice and then either put him in his crate or leave the room for a minute or until he stopped whining, whichever took longer.

If he already knows "Down" or "sit", you can follow GusDog90's advice by giving your dog the cue for "sit" or "down" whenever they start jumping. The only problem is that Bichons are crazy smart (bred to be circus dogs, or so I was told and so can pick up trick training easily), and they can quickly learn that to get attention, all they have to do is start jumping on you and you'll start training/paying attention to them. And some dogs prefer any attention, even negative attention, over none at all (as my Shih Tzu did), and so telling them "no" is still a reward (weird, right?).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I agree w/ LynneMarie...you are giving hima lot of freedom. When I put my dog in the crate I never never never open the door while he is whining. He didn't whine past a day. I also don't run open the crate as soon as I come in and make a big fuss over him. I think that can contribute to your dog having separation anxiety to make comings and goings a big deal. Mine will lay in his crate voluntarily.

Bichons can be hard to potty train but at 12 or 13 weeks he is not going to be able to be perfect PERIOD. His bladder is just not there yet. In another month or so maybe. Read up on crate training. If your eyeballs are not on him he needs to be in the crate. That means your eyeballs are gonna have to be on him a whole lot. It's exhausting but when you have a reliably housetrained dog at 7 months vs having a dog that has accidents for their whole life you will know it is worth it. Also...you have to clean with an enzyme cleaner. My dog has been potty trained for several months and we went to a family member's house who has 2 dogs that still poop/pee inside and they only clean with vinegar. He started peeing in their house. It was embarrassing since he was trained at our house BUT...that smell was just an open invitation to pee there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.