Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go to the store there are SO many books. the internet is a great place to find information, but sometimes you find conflicting information and it gets confusing. I have learned a lot about dog behavior, watching the Dog Whisperer, reading at the American Kennel Club, researching his breed,a nd looking up dogs drives and instincts to learn what motivates him. I don't think my dog needs to be dominated, he needs to be led. I'm working to build his confidence, and teach him the basics of being part of an Urban family.

I'd really like a reliable, straightforward source of information, that covers my level as an owner(first-timer, but grew up around dogs) and my dog's personality type/breed(fearful/reactive/anxious 5 year old Lab retreiver who was never trained to any commands before I got him)

The way I look at it, I'm a first time owner, with an adult dog, who needs to be trained from puppy level and needs gentle handling because he's afraid of the big wide world. I might be in over my head, but I adopted him, and what he comes with is what I get. Time to help him.

It would help me a lot if I had a paperback, and could bookmark, take notes, and highlight important information

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I personally am a huge fan of Patricia McConnell. I love her, and I find her writing style really enjoyable. She has such a huge range of books, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

"The Cautious Canine" might be a good one for you, as well as "The Other End of the Leash".

I think everyone should read Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash". It is just a great book that really highlights why we have so many struggles with our dogs, we're different species and expect them to behave in a very "non-dog" way.

"Help for your fearful dog" by Nicole Wilde is also a nice one.

I always recommend "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt for great exercises.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! I just found out that Chapters near me welcomes dogs, so after the holiday season, I can take a look. I'm currently boycotting all stores except for first thing in the morning, because even I don't like the current crowds lol

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
how about Levels training?

another suggestion:
not a book, but written format, with a clear training protocol, & built-in proofing for every exercise, at every level. :thumbsup:

Levels training is great fun, plus it's all laid out for U; anyone who can read, can follow the process.
U can do it solo, or find other folks nearby who are using Levels training - there's a Yahoo group that answers Qs & runs just-for-fun competitions, as virtual 'teams' scattered around the globe, or singly.

I'd join the Yahoo group, & i'd also look on Facebook to see if Sue-eh? [the Canadian trainer who designed & wrote the Levels handbook] has a members' page or a group page, so i'd have experienced folks to ask for help, if i ran into a training problem.

I'd also start a local group - i'd post a notice on MeetUp, & a similar notice on CraigsList 'pets', to ask anyone who's already training via Levels, or who'd like to try them, to join. Training as a group is a blast, the support that U get & the shared pleasure of reaching a goal are great for maintaining yer enthusiasm & keeping U motivated. :thumbsup:
Everyone can be at completely different stages of training, some advanced & others just beginning, or anywhere in-between; with Levels, it doesn't matter; a dog can be at Level 5 on some exercises, & barely-started on others.
Every exercise is tracked individually for each dog.

- terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts