Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it looks like we are doing this again.

I recently found a chihuahua mix female dog at a parking lot. I posted her story on here hoping that I could find her a home.

So far I have done just about everything I could in getting word out that I found her at have her. I have called multiple no kill shelters and no one wants to take her in. Families do not want to take her in and I keep hearing that she is just another regular looking Chihuahua that has some years on her.

My worry is this: Last year, my family and I also gave a rescue a home and she ended up passing on and costing us several thousand dollars in vet bills.

Now my questions are there any low cost vets that practice in California's central valley. Are there any programs I can go to that can help with vet expenses if this new dog does ever become sick? How do I find cheap vets?

How do people that rescue animals afford all their bills?

Can anyone please give some tips in what to do in case this new dog becomes sick and should I even vaccinate an older dog even though she is going to be around my other dog and cat.

Any help, advice and or suggestions will greatly help.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It's unwise to have an unvaccinated animal with an unknown history around your own animals. Petco often has cheap vaccination days. If you want local help I would go on Facebook and look for animal welfare groups in your area. You're sure to find plenty and they will be able to give you local resources. This website has people from all over the world so we can only give you general suggestions, when there might very well be a good resource just down the street from you. My only other suggestion is to google things you're looking for--cheap vets, rescues, etc. Have you looked into small dog or Chihuahua rescues? It is surprising to many people but aside from Pit Bulls, Chihuahuas and Chi mixes are the most common breed in shelters, and the second most commonly put down. They're a dime a dozen and even though they're small, they're regarded as less desirable as other breeds so that might be part of the problem. But if you go into a specific rescue that might go better.

Also people who rescue animals usually do so with a rescue group that is a charity and therefore gets donations to help pay for vet bills. And most animal rescuers spend most of their personal money on the animals too! By the way, just because a dog you previously rescued was very unwell, that doesn't mean this dog will be. I mean no guarantee but there are plenty of dogs that just need basic shots and a neuter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we already set up a spay appointment for her.

I am asking about the vaccinations because my previous dog that passed she was an older dog too and one of the vets as she many had a theory that she became so ill to death because she was an older dog that received vaccinations

Unfortunately all chi rescues are very far from me but hopefully I find other resources.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes we already set up a spay appointment for her.

I am asking about the vaccinations because my previous dog that passed she was an older dog too and one of the vets as she many had a theory that she became so ill to death because she was an older dog that received vaccinations

Unfortunately all chi rescues are very far from me but hopefully I find other resources.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
You say Central Valley in California, but how far are you from UC Davis? I know they have a Vet program, do not know if they offer free or discounted clinics, but it would be worth a call, if you can get there, should the need arise.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yes, you should vaccinate. I'd also just get her a wellness exam.

Have you considered pet insurance? I know there are members here who have it and are very pleased with it - you'd have to pay a monthly fee but if you can find a good plan it could cover you if you ever have massive vet costs, so many times it works out in your favor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts