Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 10 yr. old female Irish Wolfhound Sophie ate about 6 hersheys kisses some time last night or early this morning, she weighs about 75 lbs. They were in a plastic baggie so she ate some of the plastic and the aluminum foil wrapper around the hersheys kisses. She seems fine but is making some dry heaving noises. Please help!!! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,695 Posts
Please post under dog's health, you might get a quicker response. I would call my vet or the emergency animal clinic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
My 10 yr. old female Irish Wolfhound Sophie ate about 6 hersheys kisses some time last night or early this morning, she weighs about 75 lbs. They were in a plastic baggie so she ate some of the plastic and the aluminum foil wrapper around the hersheys kisses. She seems fine but is making some dry heaving noises. Please help!!! :(

If it has already been this long, the chocolate has been digested. Because of the foil, I would take her to a vet.

There is a household chemical that is non-toxic that you are supposed to make your dog drink if it eats a large amount of chocolate, But I can't remember the name. I THINK it's peroxide, Ask your vet about it. It will make the dogs stomach foam up, and it will throw up the toxic food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,936 Posts
6 kisses to a 75lb dog SHOULD NOT cause any lasting effects. I'm not a vet. Your vet would likely tell you the same, especially if they were milk-chocolate kisses.

Good luck, I would call my vet to be sure, but if it was more than just a few hours ago, getting the dog to vomit is pointless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,695 Posts
My friends Golden eat a whole bag of kisses....felt ill....but was ok! Keep checking the poop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, this is such a relief to hear. This was all very helpful. Thank you for all taking the time to respond! I greatly appreciate this! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
6 milk choc kisses with a dog that weight is not worrisome. She may have loose bowels afterwords. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,638 Posts
my 30 lb or so dog ate a 2.5 pound bunny one Easter while we were at church...most of the bunny. We got home and you do give him peroxide to make them throw up...like every 10 minutes you give a little more peroxide. He was fine. Yes it's bad but with low quality chocolate and catching it in time a lot of times they are fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Peroxide is a common "give at home" emetic (make 'em barf), but use with caution. It works by irritating the lining of the stomach to cause vomiting. The 'rule of thumb' with peroxide is you can give it twice. If they don't vomit, do not give more, if you need them to vomit, it's time to go to the vet. Peroxide can cause erosions in the lining of the stomach or esophagus, and rarely there is even the risk of air bubbles crossing the stomach wall into the bloodstream. The more times you repeat the dose, the higher the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Another thing to give to a dog that has eaten chocolate is activated charcoal. My family's golden ate half of a chocolate cake about 4 years ago. It was very traumatizing (for the humans). We called the emergency vet hotline in our area, and they actually didn't seem that concerned because she was 65lbs. They told us to give her activated charcoal - I forget what the actual dose was, but we had it in our medicine cabinet.

Anyway, this happened on a Sunday, and we gave her the charcoal right away (within 20 minutes of ingestion) and nothing bad happened. We went to the vet the next day to get everything checked out and she was (still is - 4 years later) a-ok.

You can get activated charcoal at most pharmacies. It works by absorbing the toxins so they don't go into the dog's system. I know it's okay to use for chocolate poisoning, and probably many others, but I also know that there are poisons that *need* to be thrown up (caustic ones), so you should always call a vet/poison control before administering it.

FWIW, the danger levels of chocolate are as follows (from most dangerous to least):

- baker's chocolate
- sweet cocoa
- milk chocolate/semi-sweet chocolate
- white chocolate (it would take a lot of white chocolate to harm even a small dog)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
I know it's okay to use for chocolate poisoning, and probably many others, but I also know that there are poisons that *need* to be thrown up (caustic ones)

You should NOT make dogs throw up CAUSTIC materials-- it's terrible for their esophagus.

If your dog eats anything toxic, you should call your vet regardless of what it is. Just inducing vomiting or giving charcoal or whatnot is not always necessarily the only things that need to be done. Some substances need monitoring (xylitol ingestion for example). Please call your vet if your dog eats something it shouldn't have instead of posting for help on a forum... time is of the essence for some things (anti-freeze for example... )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
You should NOT make dogs throw up CAUSTIC materials-- it's terrible for their esophagus.

If your dog eats anything toxic, you should call your vet regardless of what it is. Just inducing vomiting or giving charcoal or whatnot is not always necessarily the only things that need to be done. Some substances need monitoring (xylitol ingestion for example). Please call your vet if your dog eats something it shouldn't have instead of posting for help on a forum... time is of the essence for some things (anti-freeze for example... )
^^ as usual Holly... well said.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top