Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 mth old cocker who has come along great with training hes house trained great on and off the lead until the last few days i allow him off the lead in our local park and he loves chasing his tennis ball however the last 2/3 days if he sees people he runs towards them and barks incessantly its not agressive as he is afraid of his own shadow :pand runs away if the person he is barking at says anything to him but he just seems to ignore me completely when i call him to me, now its not constant just now and then and he never does it when hes on the lead id just like to nip it in the bud now

ive been lookin in books and net and its all about stopping barking at night which thankfully i dont have a problem with

any advise would be greatly appreciated
thanks a mill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me start off by saying, I'm not an expert but...

It sounds like you're dealing with a dog that could use some more socialization. You say in your post that he is afraid of his own shadow. This leads me to believe that he's afraid of other people too. He might not display this behavior at home when you have visitors as he's used to it in this setting and has been "trained" not to fear your guests. However in a park or the local pet store, that might be a different story.

Without seeing the behavior first hand, that is my best guess. If you're able to determine fear as the cause, you can correct this by socializing him to a lot of different people in a lot of different places. Ask strangers to approach your dog (while still on the leash and under your control for their safety and your dogs), kneel down a few feet in front of him and offer a treat. They shouldn't reach out to pet your dog until he has come to them. When they reach out to pet him, they should do so under the neck, coming up over his head is a sign of dominance.

Over time he'll become comfortable with strangers and the problem should go away. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm agree with tiggiler, i think your dog need socialization.to train her, you can take your dog to public place, maybe to the park, so he can meet another people. i hope it will make your dog familiar with another people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts