Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago my dog was scratching himself repeatedly and a bump had formed on his back near his tail. I made this problem known to my parents and they ended up taking him to the vet while I was at school. After they took him there the vet concluded that he was having an allergic reaction to the pollen since it was spring time during that period. Both me and my mother found that absurd because he’s never had an allergic reaction to pollen before. Nonetheless, we took the vets word and gave him his medication as well as washing him with the medicated shampoo they gave us to ease the itch. But that didn’t work, he was still itchy but there wasn’t much we could do. So we kept washing him with the shampoo hoping with time it would work. A few months later I discover a FLEA. It jumped on my face while I was laying down (my dog shared a room with me) when I slapped myself and looked at my hand I seen a little black bug jump away. I knew for sure it was a flea. I also knew for sure that he was misdiagnosed because after some research I found out that fleas mainly attack the which is where the bump is located near. I examined my dog closely didn’t see any fleas but with time more and more kept popping up. Although I didn’t see any on him I knew he had them. I examined him again about a week later and this time I could clearly see the fleas. I told my parents but they told me financially they couldn’t afford another trip to the vet. So we used home remedies and after about two months we were able to successfully get rid of the fleas not only in the house but on my dog as well. My dad ended up shaving my dog down and using a flea comb. And when he shaved him he noticed that the bump was STILL there. He keeps telling me that it’ll go away but I’m convinced that he needs medical attention and no one will listen to me. And with this whole Corona thing going around money is even tighter as my mom can no longer work. Is anyone able to tell me what this is so I can try and sell some of my shoes and get an idea of how much treatment will cost?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would prioritize taking the dog to a vet.

I don't personally have any medical knowledge that will help you but what I do know is that these kinds of skin conditions can be caused by allergic reactions to parasites (fleas, lice, mites, ticks) but it could also be something more severe like a viral or fungal infection or some kind of tumor.

It's important to take the dog to a vet in order to get a diagnosis. Once you know what it is, then you will have a better grip on what to do about it. Since it's been going on for a year and hasn't cleared up by itself yet, I'm going to guess that ignoring it for longer isn't going to help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts