Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help, please. My boyfriend and I just accidentally adopted an 8 week old puppy. At home my grandpa has 2 blue nosed pitbulls. One is a rescued former dog fighter. One is used to being the only dog in the house. They're both around 4 years old. The male, the former fighter, hasn't met the puppy yet. The female has, and she tries to attack him every chance she gets. I don't know what to do. The puppy wants to play with her and copy everything she does, etc. She isn't having any part of it.
I really need some help on how to socialize these three dogs because I'm terrified the older dogs are going to injure my puppy.
Quick back story is: He was born to backyard breeders. The breeders didn't like him for whatever reason so they gave him to someone else. These people, friends of my grandfather's, were horrible to him. Kicking him into walls, beating him, not feeding him, etc. I did a stupid thing and took him. So that's why he's accidentally adopted. I didn't really think this situation through and now I have no idea what to do with him. Can anyone please, please help me? Especially on how to introduce him to the one who used to be a fighter? I mean, he's really tame now. It's been a couple of years since he was rescued and he's an absolute sweetheart when it comes to people. The female dog has tried to attack him before and he never gets aggressive with her so I'm hoping he'll be okay but this new puppy is just so tiny. I'm terrified. Please help? And yes, I know Dia's aggression is a terrible thing. I've just honestly never given it a thought before because she doesn't attack people at all and we never expected to get another dog. Is there anything I can do? The last thing I want to do is give him away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1. Nose colour is irrelevent. It's an apbt and thats it. no red or blue nose.

2. I would honestly give up the puppy. Its way too risky to have a puppy around 2 former dog fighters.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
First, keep them separated, a baby gate can help but given the aggression already shown you may need to keep the puppy out of her sight.

The rest is going to take a lot of time and effort with each dog, I'd strongly advise contacting a trainer if not a behaviorist. It will probably be expensive and there is no guarantee that anything will work. Have a really good think about it consider what you are willing to do for a puppy you didn't plan.

One option is contacting a local rescue and explaining how you got the puppy and your current situation, they often have good advice about local trainers (mine does) and if it comes to it they can help rehome the pup.

A blog that might be really helpful is https://zdogsblog.com . Other than that, enjoy having a puppy! There are some really good stickies about puppies on this forum and Karen Pryor clicker training has some great advice on socializing and starting training. I found my local puppy classes to be invaluable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.