Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an adopted terrier mix, Molly, who is almost 1 year old. She is a VERY ACTIVE young lady. Molly is the youngest of our 3 dogs. The chewing has gotten out of control. She has bones (we give her nylabones), balls, stuffed toys, most anything, and when left alone, she chews whatever she can get a hold of (and she can get most anything as she will jump up on the table and take pens, etc. off). I'm at my wits end and other than putting her in a room and closing the door when we leave for periods of time, I have no idea what to do. She will chew pens, glass cases, carpets, and today my heating pad. PLEASE give me advice as to how to get her, and me, thru this phase.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It's common for young dogs (especially the intelligent energetic guys) to be very persistent, experimental and ruthless in their chewing habits. You have tried offering her a better option which is great, but I think that she needs that further step of management. Crate training will be an immense help, but depending on her size you could also opt for an exercise pen. I would have her in there whenever you can't directly supervise her.

Habits are in a way like muscles of the mind. The more you use them, the stronger they get. If you don't use them for a good long time, they atrophy and die. Use it or lose it! Every instance where you can prevent your dog from "practicing" her chewing habit will take her a step closer to breaking it altogether.

·
Registered
90 Posts
To me, the big thing is that you let her into the house or parts of it right now but she has not shown to be trustworthy in those areas.

So:
1. Completely dog proof one space (a room), this is her space, make it a happy space. Put her there when you leave so that she can't chew things. Leave her with many good options to chew on.
2. Kennel/Crate train with a kennel or an exercise pen. Teach her to be good and calm when you are gone. Teach her to be able to hang out. Give her appropriate things to chew on when you are gone. Eventually you can try opening up the amount of freedom you have when she is gone.

Other supplementary things to try:
1. Teach "It's yer choice" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc so that she learns to chew or eat only things YOU give her.
2. Teach "leave it" or "drop it" and reward heavily https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA
3. Buy more mental stimulation toys: Kong Wobbler is one I use. But there are many out there
4. Before you leave the dog alone, give it some good exercise and some mental stimulation- do tricks and training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts