Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have 5 months old toy poodle puppy.
I was looking up on internet about healthy dog stool. My puppy poo doesnt seem to be on healthy side. His stool been loose. It still have the log shape. But when you have to pick it up, it is very loose. (It’s almost like soft serve ice cream? Sometimes when it breaks and the smaller pieces hit the floor, it will shaped like soft serve ice cream) when picked up, It lost its shape and will leave residue. Sometimes it’s a lot of residue. Sometimes it’s not a lot. The colour is always on light brown. do i have to seek veterinary help? Thank you!

ps : recently my puppy got ringworm. Got him checked at vet and he is recovering well. My vet told me i just need to keep on applying cream he prescribed.

another ps : my puppy is teething right now. Could it be the cause of the way his stool is?

·
Registered
720 Posts
That wouldn't be something that would concern me too much unless the dog is lethargic, not eating or the poop turns in to runny stinky diarrhea.

To be on the safe side you can probably get a testing kit from your vet and send a sample of his poop to a lab to be checked for parasites. At his age I wouldn't consider it abnormal. It could be related to the teething. Is he getting all of his vaccinations?

On the short term if you want to firm up the poop situation a bit you might try mixing a table spoon of cooked rice into his food. Monitor for changes and if it turns into diarrhea then get the poop tested.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hello! I have 5 months old toy poodle puppy.
I was looking up on internet about healthy dog stool. My puppy poo doesnt seem to be on healthy side. His stool been loose. It still have the log shape. But when you have to pick it up, it is very loose. (It’s almost like soft serve ice cream? Sometimes when it breaks and the smaller pieces hit the floor, it will shaped like soft serve ice cream) when picked up, It lost its shape and will leave residue. Sometimes it’s a lot of residue. Sometimes it’s not a lot. The colour is always on light brown. do i have to seek veterinary help? Thank you!

ps : recently my puppy got ringworm. Got him checked at vet and he is recovering well. My vet told me i just need to keep on applying cream he prescribed.

another ps : my puppy is teething right now. Could it be the cause of the way his stool is?
Does your dog eat biscuits? It sounds like classic kibble poop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That wouldn't be something that would concern me too much unless the dog is lethargic, not eating or the poop turns in to runny stinky diarrhea.

To be on the safe side you can probably get a testing kit from your vet and send a sample of his poop to a lab to be checked for parasites. At his age I wouldn't consider it abnormal. It could be related to the teething. Is he getting all of his vaccinations?

On the short term if you want to firm up the poop situation a bit you might try mixing a table spoon of cooked rice into his food. Monitor for changes and if it turns into diarrhea then get the poop tested.
Hello! Thank you for writing back.
I got him vaccinated by another vet that is now i hate lol seems like he’s not a very good vet. (He misdiagnosed my puppy’s ringworm) Our current vet said my puppy got it all for this year except for rabies. I’m still waiting for his ringworm to totally recover and his teething to settle down a bit (because he doesn’t have the usual appetite at the moment) and then, I’ll get him vaccinated.

I’ve been adding cooked rice in his meal today. Not that much of a change yet.
but i wonder, maybe it’s because i soak the kibbles in chicken broth?
because when i fed him plain kibble without soaking, his stool is perfect!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your dog eat biscuits? It sounds like classic kibble poop.
Hello! Thank you for writing back.
I haven’t give him any dog treats at the moment. Well, a bit of cheese pieces when he gives me those puppy eyes when i open the fridge and when he’s being good.

he’s been farting too. Not a lot. But noticeable. Especially during night time. Like maybe once or twice. And i can hear his stomach talks to me sometimes. Not very often.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if he's gassy and tummy gargling, I'd blame the food. my toy poodles never did well on anything but the royal canin food. most toy poodles are very sensitive to their food. I know grain free is what a lot of dog owners like but for toys, I don't recommend it. I tried numerous foods but always found royal canin was the best choice for them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
also anything with peas or pea protein is bad for them increases chances of cardiovascular problems. on occasion it's good but when fed everyday it can become dangerous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if he's gassy and tummy gargling, I'd blame the food. my toy poodles never did well on anything but the royal canin food. most toy poodles are very sensitive to their food. I know grain free is what a lot of dog owners like but for toys, I don't recommend it. I tried numerous foods but always found royal canin was the best choice for them.
Really ?! I bought a big bag of royal canin for him months ago. I stopped when my old vet told me it’s food allergy and i need to change his food back. Which it actually was the first sign of ringworm. I’ve never gave him royal canin since.
We’re currently back to his first food, which is nature bridge. I’ve been searching about good kibbles for him on internet. (Because he always scratches and bites himself even after shower) I was thinking about changing his food to vigor & sage. But now I’ll just slowly change his food to royal canin again and see how he reacts to it.
thank you so much!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, I'd try going back to that first especially if the vet didn't catch the ringwork first. I always use the Indoor puppy xs through their whole life. Toy's can be prone to hypoglycemia any the puppy food has extra calories to it so that will help prevent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'd try going back to that first especially if the vet didn't catch the ringwork first. I always use the Indoor puppy xs through their whole life. Toy's can be prone to hypoglycemia any the puppy food has extra calories to it so that will help prevent.
I’m mixing his food with royal canin’s today. But seems like he is finding it weird :ROFLMAO: he just sniffs it and walk away hahaha

·
Registered
638 Posts
I honestly wouldnt worry in the slightest. One thing ive learnt is owners including myself obsessive too much over our dogs poo when the dogs are clearly healthy. If theres no blood or mucous or or ongoing diareaeh then theres no need to worry. Im still practicing that one myself

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
If he was allergic to one of the ingredients in royal canin, is it a good idea to change him back? Could it be the chicken broth making him itch, a surprising number of dogs are intolerant to chicken.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I honestly wouldnt worry in the slightest. One thing ive learnt is owners including myself obsessive too much over our dogs poo when the dogs are clearly healthy. If theres no blood or mucous or or ongoing diareaeh then theres no need to worry. Im still practicing that one myself
Sorry i competely missed your post about itching when i wrote my reply

·
Registered
122 Posts
The itching could be sooo many things. Did the itching stop after the use of other food? It could be the cheese as well. I would switch back to royal and avoid other snacks. If he itches then you know. you could try Purina pro plan (there’s one for sensitive tummies). I’d stay away from grain free for a toy pup though bc the fillers really help to prevent the hypoglycemia that toys are known for :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahahahaha i was actually got upset this morning because he had Diarrhea, once.
because his early morning potty was amazing. Perfect stool. I was soooo happy that i smiled from ear to ear lol And an hour later he went for another round, and it was very soft. I almost cried lol but yeah, no more diarrhea after that one time.
My family have to keep on reminding me it’s probably the teething :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he was allergic to one of the ingredients in royal canin, is it a good idea to change him back? Could it be the chicken broth making him itch, a surprising number of dogs are intolerant to chicken.
it wasnt clear if he actually allergic to royal canin or not. Because the vet didnt really do any test.
that time he got this bunch of acnes like bumps on his stomach and his back. And the vet just do a quick look and he asked if i changed his food recently or gave him new snacks. I changed his food to royal canin for like almost more than 2 weeks at that time. He didnt have any diarrhea during that food change. Then vet said, could be that. Stop the royal canin and all the snacks, put him back on old food which is nature bridge. I did.vet prescribed medicine. it was like antibiotic and some vitamins mixed in a capsule. And bought from pharmacy.
After taking that med, my puppy doest scratch as much and he sleeps. A lot. Like, everytime after taking his med, he sleeps like a log. The acnes dried and disappeared for a bit. But then, it came back again. In a form of BIG BUMP on his head. I took a picture and sent it to him. He said “it’s probably just food allergy again. Just like last time.” But i didnt introduce my dog any new food that time. But i just went oh ok. And he prescribed human cream. I bought it and applied on my puppy. But it’s NOT going away. Then i took my pup to another vet. And that vet told me it’s ringworm. And those acnes like were the first stage of ringworm. And i too asked about the itch. But vet said it’s the fungal.
My pup is now healed from ringworm (yay!) i just have to keep on applying the cream prescribed by new vet. Because the spots are still bald. I wonder if hair will grow back on them.
Oh and, my puppy been itchy even on his first food. We thought it’s maybe something with the shampoo. I’ve bought total of 3 shampoos now (including the most recent one to treat his ringworm.)

aaaaaand my puppy now is very picky. He doesnt like his kibbles. he will just give a sniff and leave. Or I’ll hand feed him one kibble, he will put it in his mouth and spit it back out. Even with his teething, I’ve soaked it in warm water, still no.
soaked it in chicken broth, mix in bits of chicken still a no. But when i give him plain rice mixed with chicken broth and chicken bits, He eats it like it’s his last meal haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The itching could be sooo many things. Did the itching stop after the use of other food? It could be the cheese as well. I would switch back to royal and avoid other snacks. If he itches then you know. you could try Purina pro plan (there’s one for sensitive tummies). I’d stay away from grain free for a toy pup though bc the fillers really help to prevent the hypoglycemia that toys are known for :)
we’re on process of switching back to royal canin. I hope royal canin works fine for him. And am not giving him any other snacks but cheese at the moment. And still treating his ringworm with medical shampoo. When we’re fully switched to royal canin, I’ll put a stop on his cheese and rice and chicken. Although i am very afraid it wont work out hahahaha
He is very picky now :’( doesnt want even his kibbles and only happy for his rice mixed with chicken.
i want to try do the leave it for an hour, pick it up and put it back on next feeding hour. But I’m afraid he will choose to starve himself and go around snack on ants or leaves. He is very weird. When he see an ant walking he will go and eat it :cry: I’ve told him not to do it so many times. Maybe he was a frog in his past life..

·
Registered
122 Posts
he might just be doing it to get the chicken now.lol poodles are very smart. it may take a bit to find the food he likes, they're picky little stinkers. lol Mine wouldn't eat two of the foods we bought. it was bc hubs would come home and give her wet food. I told him no one night and left the two types of kibble down and she devoured the royal canin. little stinker just wanted to wait for the wet food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and thank you for letting me know !! I’m glad i signed up on this forum before i buy him new food. I almost bout to get him taste of the wild. But i were still rethinking about it since i found on internet people said it causes heart failure. I dont know if it’s true or not because it’s still rated as best dog food on internet.
if royal canin wont work, I’ll try purina.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Totw killed our dog. it happened to numerous other owners too. There's a class action lawsuit from 2018 we were in with a bunch of others were in. I'm super cautious with food now. I stay away from all grain free foods and any with pea or pea protein bc they think it's connected to heart issues as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts