Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old miniature pinscher and took him to the vet after he started experiencing painful stool and pain around his abdominal area and rectum. The vet did an x-ray and diagnosed him with colitis. He was prescribed an anti-fungal medication (metronidazole), prescription food (the royal canin gastrointestinal high energy kibble), and 1 packet of probioitc added to his kibble daily (Advita probioitc powder). The reviews online for this probiotic are amazing! I had my dog on Canidae Grain-Free Pure Sea Salmon dog food prior to this vet visit, the food is supposed to be very good - better than the blue buffalo wilderness he was on before. So after doing everything the vet said I noticed some relief in the next few days. Now my dog is having diarrhea on and off and intermittent painful stools again and I don't know what to blame it on. I really think I should just go back to his food and do the probiotic because honestly it sounds better than the over priced prescription dog food I bought. Any help would be so greatly appreciated! I am desperate for a solution!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm sorry that your doggy isn't feeling well. : (

Our dogs get runny stool when they eat fish products, so that may be the cause of it. He may also be eating something else that is causing the issue. Sudden dietary changes can cause stomach upsets.
I'm no expert, but I hope this helps. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
With stomach issues I always suspect the food. You might try honest kitchen for a few weeks and see if it is a meat intolerance. You want the lower protein formula with the colitis so I would get this one if he has never eaten turkey. You want a meat he has not eaten before.
Keen Dog Food – Whole Grain Turkey

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
My Jessie has colitis and i find cooking barley grains in just water until they are soft then drain the barley water in a container then give up to 50ml a day of water til grains have dried out for 2 days in sunlight facing up does wonders to stop the diareha and calm it down. I also find she needs low fat foods no more then 10% fat.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have a dog with severe allergies, and one of the things I stumbled across and read a lot about is colostrum. Studies suggested that it can help dogs with allergies so I'm giving it a try. But there seems to be very good results found when the colostrum is used to help digestive issues in dogs.

Here's a link that has an article by a vet... and in a lot of the reading I've done, there seems to be university studies and multiple vets who tend to think it has positive benefits and isn't just some quack ingredient. I've read that it can heal heal digestive lining that is thin...that can allow toxins to leach into the body and it helps the body support good bacterial growth in the digestive system.

The article is a little ways down the page and the part where he talks seeing the benefits of colostrum for colitis in near the end of the article.

Bovine Colostrum, The Forgotten Miracle

I bought colostrum for my dog on Amazon...found one that was from the 1st milking, and made into a powder form, but it's also available in pills.

I'm not sure yet if it's helping my dog, Jaya's allergy issues...and from what I read about it...it can help, but it's not a miracle cure for allergies...like only 20 percent of the dogs with severe allergies saw huge improvements...but I'll take those odds, I'm so desperate to see Jaya stop itching. She's been on it for a little over 2 months now, and still scratching some, (I think thought the cold weather is behind most of that as her allergies I think are pollen basted. But I have noticed she seems to feel a little more chipper, and her hair seems to be feeling softer and and more healthy looking. Maybe it's just having an overall healthy affect on her.

I hope you find something to help your dog.

Stormy

Reactions: leaveittoweaver

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a dog with severe allergies, and one of the things I stumbled across and read a lot about is colostrum. Studies suggested that it can help dogs with allergies so I'm giving it a try. But there seems to be very good results found when the colostrum is used to help digestive issues in dogs.

Here's a link that has an article by a vet... and in a lot of the reading I've done, there seems to be university studies and multiple vets who tend to think it has positive benefits and isn't just some quack ingredient. I've read that it can heal heal digestive lining that is thin...that can allow toxins to leach into the body and it helps the body support good bacterial growth in the digestive system.

The article is a little ways down the page and the part where he talks seeing the benefits of colostrum for colitis in near the end of the article.

Bovine Colostrum, The Forgotten Miracle

I bought colostrum for my dog on Amazon...found one that was from the 1st milking, and made into a powder form, but it's also available in pills.

I'm not sure yet if it's helping my dog, Jaya's allergy issues...and from what I read about it...it can help, but it's not a miracle cure for allergies...like only 20 percent of the dogs with severe allergies saw huge improvements...but I'll take those odds, I'm so desperate to see Jaya stop itching. She's been on it for a little over 2 months now, and still scratching some, (I think thought the cold weather is behind most of that as her allergies I think are pollen basted. But I have noticed she seems to feel a little more chipper, and her hair seems to be feeling softer and and more healthy looking. Maybe it's just having an overall healthy affect on her.

I hope you find something to help your dog.

Stormy
Colostrum is also a fantastic immune booster, which a lot of dogs with allergies really benefit from.

A good food that contains colostrum is Health Extension. They make a formula called Allergix that is Buffalo and Whitefish. You could give that a try as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a link of the colostrum to buy? Would you recommend to use colostrum instead of the advita probiotic i am using now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts