Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Internet. I've come here seeking refuge and I need your help. Two nights ago, we adopted a 10 week old Morkie who is very adorable and loving, but as soon as we purchased her and drove off with her, I felt a very large amount of dread and I started crying. I realized too late that I'm not ready for another puppy at all and that I am still traumatize from my last dog, which was also a small dog, who ended up passing away from Parvo after a very short time when I was 13. It's been five years since then and the fears have started to come back and still haunt me that this new family member is going to pass in some form and another and that I won't be able to take care of her like she deserves. I expressed these fears to my parents while in the car and once again when we got home and they immediately retaliated and were angered, which on one side of the coin they should be, since she was rather expensive, but they are now saying that we will not be returning her and we will have to make the best of it and that this was my decision and that I need to stand by it. Half of me agrees with them and that I just need to give this puppy time and train her, but with college and a bit of lying from the woman we bought her from, I'm not sure I will be able to have the time to teach her the basics. ( Such as house training, but I was told that she had made it to the puppy pad stage, and I was very willing to teach her to use the restroom from then on outside, but this has proven to be a lie and she has had no training what-so-ever). But the other half of me is fearful and thinks that maybe the best thing for the dog is to try and attempt to return her to her previous owner, but my youngest brother has also grown very attached and I don't want to break his heart. I'm at cross roads in my mind and I don't know what to do. I haven't been able to sleep or eat hardly anything at all since we got her and my anxiety and depression have escalated to the point where I just feel like shutting down. This was supposed to be a wonderful and happy experience, since it would be the first time since my mom remarried that we had another fur baby because my step-father is very against dogs in the house, but this has been nothing but a nightmare and I don't know what to do. Please help me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Curious: You were planning on going to college before you got her yeah? So what exactly were you thinking would happen? I'm confused about why you got her when you're saying now that you won't have time to train her with college. If you don't even have time for the basics: who did you think was going to spend time with this puppy?

I'm trying to sympathize with you but so many people come on here and say they got this puppy but "with school and work I just won't have time!" which is so frustrating to hear time and time again since these are things that should be a no brainer with a dog, not to mention puppy.

Many breeders start puppies with a pad but this doesn't guarantee they know pad training solid. How old is she? If she's a puppy just going home I'm assuming she's around 2 months. This isn't enough time to even be reliably pad trained. Not to mention it sounds like she's a fairly new puppy. It's highly likely she was fine with a pad in a familiar environment with her littermates and mother where she felt safe. She's probably scared and confused herself, which would reasonably cause her to not know where to go. Many puppies that were fine with the pad at the breeders home need to be re introduced to it in a new environment.

Are you the sole caretaker of this dog? Is your family willing to help you out with her? It sounds like your mom was happy about getting her now that your family can and your brother seems to be into it as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am so sorry, I have anxiety to, and so does my mother and grandmother. It is a very difficult thing to deal with, and it makes us worry about our animals so much, about every little thing they do.

Take a breath and relax for a moment. Puppies are wonderful, though very energetic and time consuming. It is very hard to loose a dog, but giving dogs another chance is so worth it. We recently got another puppy, a year after we lost our 9 year-old dog. This puppy loves to chew and he still pees on the floor, he needs walks often, but he is so cute and sweet and he makes it worth it.

Now, there is no shame in realizing you don't have the time and energy to care for your puppy. It is far better a choice to not be anxious and just feel stress around a puppy and to find it a new home then to regret keeping it and never have fun with it. We had to rehome our two ferrets, I cried a lot but in the end I was allergic to them and constantly stressed about them and they went to a wonderful new home.

Don't think of all the things that could go wrong and think of all the wonderful things that can happen. Walks at the parks, chances to train with your puppy, having a puppy to snuggle by your side when you feel depressed, to give you a reason to get up each morning.

Animals have caused stress and anxiety in my life, but they give me a reason not to just stay in my room and hide, they give me something to talk about to people and to write about and to research. They are a strong passion of mine.

Only you can make the decision of if you should keep it, don't let guilt get in the way. Animals should be a wonderful experience, and if it only causes stress, then finding it a new home would be better for both of you.

I wish you the best of luck! : )

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I lost out on a good amount of my dog's puppyhood because I was anxiously worrying about messing her up. Puppies are just like babies, which I a kin the puppy blues to post-partum. You look forward to this new little life and then once it's here you think "holy crap, what have I done! I'm not ready for this!"

So my advice to you is to not sweat the small stuff and enjoy. Things do get better. Life is a ride, so you might as well buckle up. I will share that puppies are exhausting, evil creatures, and you will need to plan out you time. Your new pup will make your post-ed years more difficult, but also more fun - you just have to put in the effort. If you can't find a way to do that, then rehoming is best.

Reactions: cos

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
First step back and take a deep breath. Tell yourself that you are entitled to feel the way you do, and that it's fairly normal to do so Many, many, people come here and say that they have puppy blues, so many in fact that we have stickies on it.

It's horrible that you lost your last puppy like you did. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I lost one of my dogs in a horrid way, but what I did was learn from the experience and made as sure as I could that no future dogs that I have will pass away in such a way. You can do that also. Get your puppy up to date on her puppy shots, and learn all you can about how parvo spreads and how best to prevent it. Doing that will allow you to take some control of the situation and my help to stop some of your anxiety.

House training will happen, have you checked out this sticky? http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/ it will help you to get the best start on it. The breeder may or may not have started pad training her. If she did then your puppy may simply be confused about where to go in her new home. When you go her home did you immediately start with housetraining, so that she knew what was expected of her, or did you just give her the run of the house?

Are you going away to college or staying home? If you are going away is the puppy supposed to be going with you? I ask because if you are going away and the puppy is staying at your home then your family should be the one doing the brunt of the training since they will have to do the training when you are gone.

Reactions: cos
1 - 5 of 5 Posts