Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is dead set against this rescue dog because of her pit looks. Her mother is supposedly an American Bulldog.

Her and her siblings.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And her vet papers say American Bulldog/Mastiff mix. Being a rescue I question that. Sorry for the reply, I don't yet know how to edit a post.

·
Registered
547 Posts
aaaww... such a sweet face.

I totally understand where your husband is coming from on this issue. I used to think that pit-looking-dogs were all monsters and that no good parent would have one around their kids.

My opinions have changed though. I have a 9 month old puppy that is half american-bulldog/lab, and half mixed. My girl is the smartest, sweetest dog I've ever met. She licks the kids' faces to wake them up every morning, and knows so many tricks. She is very submissive when meeting new people and dogs. These dogs can be so wonderful - my girl's brother is even a service dog!

Now, on the opposite extreme... there is a set of dangerous dogs that live less than a quarter mile from me. They are abused (I can't get any proof though), and they have to be contained at all times. Neighbors all agree that those dogs are dangerous. Backyard breeders who breed pit types for fighting look for those qualities, and the people who own those dogs have a history of fighting dogs. :(

If advice is what you are looking for, I'd say that you and your husband need to talk out any concerns and do lots of research. You never really know what traits were bred into a dog's lineage when you're adopting, so spend time learning the puppy's personality. Any show of dominance or aggression is not something you want. Submission without fear is what you do want. That goes for any breed or mix, not just pit-types.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Pits are dogs. Some dogs are poorly bred and have bad temperaments. Some of those dogs will be pits. Some of them will be golden retrievers, or poodles or shih tzus or beagles.

If you want a guarantee, you need to either adopt an adult (dogs change as they mature and you won't see the true temperament until about age 2) or buy a puppy from a reputable breeder.

I can't say that I would recommend a bandogge (mastiff x pit) to a newbie owner, personally.

·
Registered
951 Posts
regardless of if he is being logical with his judgement against pits, I think it's really important to get a dog that both people want (even if not to the same degree) rather than a dog one wants and the other is willing to tolerate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the messages, I think that I was not very clear though in my post. I just wanted to know what breeds she looks like to you guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have an English Bulldog and will be adopting this girl on Thursday. She immediately appealed to me but just doesn't look very pitty to me so in was curious for opinions on breed mix. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
She is a generic shelter pit/am staff mix. There could be a lot of anything in there. It's also close to impossible to pick out specific bully breed features because they are similar. Her skull looks small so I don't think American Bulldog so much. I actually think she might have some hound dog in their for the slimmer frame. But she's a pup so it's hard to tell. And as someone who works in a shelter and has experienced and cared for or spent time with probably 150+ breeds now, I will tell you that Pits are extraordinarily affectionate, loyal and tolerant dogs. I also have to say how heartbreaking it is to see a Pit with a perfect behavior rating get looked over or put down because people are scared of them--and then adopt a badly behaved Lab or a small dog with a bite history. Judge dogs on their individual personalities, not breed.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
absolute cutie.
Yes there's probably some kind of bully breed in her, but she'll be okay.
Cold be pit... but mine is a Dogo canario mix and he looked pretty similiar as a puppy.
could also the another bully breed than pittie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.