Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a junior in college majoring in animal biology. Next semester I will be living in an apartment and I was wondering what dog you guys would suggest that would be best suited for this. Before the nay sayers come and tell me I shouldn't get a dog, I have a couple of things to say.

I have grown up with dogs all my life, I have always helped to take care of them, and have love every single dog I have had through out my life. I know many people believe college students shouldn't get a dog, but I honestly think I can do it. Many people told me I couldn't care/afford a saltwater reef tank in the dorms because of the expenses and level and care required for one of these beautiful tanks, but I have been successful at keeping and maintaining a rich marine environment in my dorm for the past two years. I know a fish tank isn't comparable to a dog, but I'm ready for the next step up. I have read a couple of bucks on how to care for a dog but now I'm ready for the real thing!

Next semester i will be living in a 1 bedroom apartment about a 15 minute walk from campus and a 5 minute bike ride away. I work part time (10-15 hours a week) literally right down the street from my apartment, and my girlfriend will practically be living with me as well. So we will have two people to take care of the dog. Between the two of us I cannot imagine the dog being home alone for more then 5 hours a day max! I will have a small semi fenced shared yard with my apartment unit and the unit next door.

I am working two summer jobs this summer to save up for my dog, and my girlfriend is doing the same.

We are semi active people and would love to have some suggestions for a dog that would be happy in an apartment with daily walks. We also go on the occasional hike and would love a dog we could bring with. We have a lot of reservoirs were I live so a dog that likes the water would be awesome as well. I have friends that have two dogs and they said they would gladly watch my dog if for any reason my girlfriend and I had to leave. We are not drinkers or partners but we do socialize with friends, but more often then not friends come over to my place.

I plan on getting a dog a the pound so after you guys give us some suggestions we will find the right dog for us at a local shelter.

I was looking at the english and french bulldog, a pug (preferably a pug mix, my gf loves pugs), but please no toy dogs like a Chihuahua or Pomeranian.

I need help!! Please

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
If you are planning on adpoting from a shelter you can tell them what you are looking for and they will be able to help match you with the right dog!:)

It does sound like you are pretty prepared for a dog, though I would caution you that you and your girlfriend should have a very clear understanding of who this dog will actually belong to. Several of my friends in college got dogs or cats with a GF or Bf. When they broke up they either fought over the animal or had to rehome it as neither one could keep it...
I'm not saying that it would happen with you and your GF, just that it is something you should think about!;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pugs are great dogs!
And so so so funny! They have great personality's! But if it's anything like here it may be a little hard to find a pug! Me myself like bigger dogs such as Labs, Australian Shepards, Collies, Heelers, so on and so forth.. Which I had a Blue heeler/ Australian Cattle dog, and a Border Collie/ Blue heeler mix in my one bedroom apartment a few years back but they got many hours of exercise every day!... Hikes, Run's, Dog park,swimming, all of that good stuff!

So if you are active people I would pick one of those :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Just to go with heathers comment, I would stay away from super Hightower energy(herding) unless you are 100% sure your new addition would get hours of exercise a day. I have a cattle dog and have been very limited with what I could do since I got her in terms of being away, I spend hours watching and entertaining her. I have learned to find activities that we can both do...

I would recommend taing to the shelter, walking around, and just find the one who pulls at your heart

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hello all, I'm a junior in college majoring in animal biology. Next semester I will be living in an apartment and I was wondering what dog you guys would suggest that would be best suited for this. Before the nay sayers come and tell me I shouldn't get a dog, I have a couple of things to say.

I have grown up with dogs all my life, I have always helped to take care of them, and have love every single dog I have had through out my life. I know many people believe college students shouldn't get a dog, but I honestly think I can do it. Many people told me I couldn't care/afford a saltwater reef tank in the dorms because of the expenses and level and care required for one of these beautiful tanks, but I have been successful at keeping and maintaining a rich marine environment in my dorm for the past two years. I know a fish tank isn't comparable to a dog, but I'm ready for the next step up. I have read a couple of bucks on how to care for a dog but now I'm ready for the real thing!

Next semester i will be living in a 1 bedroom apartment about a 15 minute walk from campus and a 5 minute bike ride away. I work part time (10-15 hours a week) literally right down the street from my apartment, and my girlfriend will practically be living with me as well. So we will have two people to take care of the dog. Between the two of us I cannot imagine the dog being home alone for more then 5 hours a day max! I will have a small semi fenced shared yard with my apartment unit and the unit next door.

I am working two summer jobs this summer to save up for my dog, and my girlfriend is doing the same.

We are semi active people and would love to have some suggestions for a dog that would be happy in an apartment with daily walks. We also go on the occasional hike and would love a dog we could bring with. We have a lot of reservoirs were I live so a dog that likes the water would be awesome as well. I have friends that have two dogs and they said they would gladly watch my dog if for any reason my girlfriend and I had to leave. We are not drinkers or partners but we do socialize with friends, but more often then not friends come over to my place.

I plan on getting a dog a the pound so after you guys give us some suggestions we will find the right dog for us at a local shelter.

I was looking at the english and french bulldog, a pug (preferably a pug mix, my gf loves pugs), but please no toy dogs like a Chihuahua or Pomeranian.

I need help!! Please

I can relate to you 100%! I am a full time college student, but I have 3 lovely little girls. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't care for a dog just because your in college. I have a Aussie/Collie mix, mini schnauzer, and a Pug.
I am so happy that you are looking into adoption! Emma and Lily were adopted, Lola wasn't. There are a few things you will need to consider about brachycephalic dogs. Which is every breed you mentioned above, it just means dogs with shorter broader skull and smaller nasal passages. You also said that you would like a dog that could go on hikes with you and things of that nature. Those dog breeds you listed could never do that. Lola (our Pug) pretty much has to stay inside 90% of the time in the summer. Our rule is if it's above 85F out then she can only go potty and straight back in. There is no way I could ever take her on a hike, it's completely out of the question.

Also, Pug's are very clingly dogs. They need lots of attention. They are wonderful dogs though. They never see a stranger and they have one of the best personalities of all the dog breeds in my opinion. And they are a lot sturdier than a lot of they toy breeds. Also, Lola hates swimming. That doesn't mean all Pugs do, but since it would be a summer activity I don't know if I would try it very often unless it was in the afternoon or early morning.

As far as what to look for in a shelter dog, it's hard to say. The only pointer I will give you is that you can almost always plan on the dog acting 100% different when you bring it home. So maybe you could see if the shelter would let you foster some of the dogs you think you might like to adopt. If you have anymore questions about Pug's feel free to ask! Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To address the first concern, my girlfriend and I have been together for 6 years!! we even stayed together through a year and half long distance relationship. So hopefully she or I aren't going anywhere:)

We both prefer bigger dogs but I cant see it being possible with my small apartment. My dream dogs would be a lab, a golden, a husky, akita, rot, german Shepard, and other breeds like that. But i just don't think that would be possible! However my girlfriend LOVES PUGS with a passion!! lol

I agree with the comment about going to the shelter and finding the dog that pulls at my heart. However I would appreciate some dogs I should keep an eye out that would be particularly good for apartment life. I live in northern Colorado so within 80 miles of me there are at least 10 different shelters and rescues. So please give me some good breeds that are not toys and are in the large small category or the small medium category!!

Could I get a Lab?? Ideally I would love one!!

thanks all!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
To address the first concern, my girlfriend and I have been together for 6 years!! we even stayed together through a year and half long distance relationship. So hopefully she or I aren't going anywhere:)

We both prefer bigger dogs but I cant see it being possible with my small apartment. My dream dogs would be a lab, a golden, a husky, akita, rot, german Shepard, and other breeds like that. But i just don't think that would be possible! However my girlfriend LOVES PUGS with a passion!! lol

I agree with the comment about going to the shelter and finding the dog that pulls at my heart. However I would appreciate some dogs I should keep an eye out that would be particularly good for apartment life. I live in northern Colorado so within 80 miles of me there are at least 10 different shelters and rescues. So please give me some good breeds that are not toys and are in the large small category or the small medium category!!

Could I get a Lab?? Ideally I would love one!!

thanks all!!

This is the thing. If you are fully committed to getting one of the breeds listed above it's totally doable. BUT! You have to understand the amount of time and energy it takes to have one of those breeds. My sister has a Lab in a one bedroom apartment like you (she's also a college student), but she takes her to the dog park everyday, to petsmart, to walk on other trails and spends at least 30 minutes training her, with a one hour walk in the morning and afternoon. So if that's something you would be interested in, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't get one.

A Husky or Akita is the only breed I would not recommend at all for apartment living. But, what about your girlfriend wanting a Pug? If she's the one who's going to be helping with the dog then you would both need to be in agreement on what to get.

EDIT: I always tell people this when they are considering a Pug. They shed bad. I mean really, really bad. They are not seasonal shedders, it's 365 days a year. That is something everyone should know when considering the breed because it could be a deal breaker for you. (In my opinion, that's the only draw back to the breed)

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Fwiw my pug went on long walks almost daily. She also went hiking and geocaching with us all of the time. She even did agility for fun. Never had a problem with her keeping up!;)

But that said we were (and still are) always careful during the sumer because like said by emma brachy breeds are more susceptable to heatstroke.

Also regarding the breeds you mentioned above...
I would stay away from many of them. Some are going to be really difficult for a first dog especially in an apartment. I do think that an adult lab or golden could work if given enough exercise. Though because you are in an apartment I would stick with a smaller breed. It can be very diffiicult to find an apartment that allows large dog. Also keep in mind that many of the breeds you like are often bannned from apartment complexes. It should be a major consideration because you will likely move to different apartment in a different city after college.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Ditto Kmes, not to mention that some insurance companies won't cover you if you have certains breeds... which seem to be located on your (and my) fav. list.

Have you ever thought of rescuing a retired racing greyhound? or Whippet? They might seem like crazy energy dogs, but they are only sprinters, they are real couch potatoes!

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Shelters are FULL of lab mixes! I bet you could find an adult with a reasonable energy level to suit your preferences. :]

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
If you are interested in a larger dog you may also want to check out greyhounds. They are great apartment dogs and walking partners, yet they wont mind if they miss a walk which will undoubtedly happen especially with a busy college schedule.
Also if you are intersted in a pug I will give you some links to breed specific rescues later when I am on a computer!:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Fwiw my pug went on long walks almost daily. She also went hiking and geocaching with us all of the time. She even did agility for fun. Never had a problem with her keeping up!;)

But that said we were (and still are) always careful during the sumer because like said by emma brachy breeds are more susceptable to heatstroke.

Also regarding the breeds you mentioned above...
I would stay away from many of them. Some are going to be really difficult for a first dog especially in an apartment. I do think that an adult lab or golden could work if given enough exercise. Though because you are in an apartment I would stick with a smaller breed. It can be very diffiicult to find an apartment that allows large dog. Also keep in mind that many of the breeds you like are often bannned from apartment complexes. It should be a major consideration because you will likely move to different apartment in a different city after college.
Posted via Mobile Device

Really? There is no way Lola can make more than a half a mile walk during the summer time. Even at 7 or 8 pm in the evening. I wish Lola was like yours, I feel so bad that she gets left behind sometimes.

I didn't consider the apartment restriction. I guess first off you need to find out what breeds your apartment will allow before making your decision.

Now that you mention that though, my sister wanted a Doberman. Her apartment complex would allow them but they couldn't find any other one's that would. She was afraid that they would never be able to be move anywhere else but there if they got that dog.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ditto Kmes, not to mention that some insurance companies won't cover you if you have certains breeds... which seem to be located on your (and my) fav. list.

Have you ever thought of rescuing a retired racing greyhound? or Whippet? They might seem like crazy energy dogs, but they are only sprinters, they are real couch potatoes!

This is very off topic. But, when considering other homeowner insurance I found out that one of the companies we were looking at wouldn't insure you if you had any form of Shepherd. Even Aussie's. I was shocked.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
This is very off topic. But, when considering other homeowner insurance I found out that one of the companies we were looking at wouldn't insure you if you had any form of Shepherd. Even Aussie's. I was shocked.
Not off topic :p The OP should have the right to be informed that if you own a certain breed, that insurance will not cover you anymore. So you should also check with your insurance just in case ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My apartment only restricts rot reilers chow chow and pit bulls!! I understand that I couldn't have one of those bigger breeds of dogs I was just stating that those are my dream dogs that one day I will definitely be getting.

Everyone keeps coming back to the pug!! Lol what about the English or French bulldog?? They seem a little more manly! Would they do good, from the books I have read they are relatively low energy.

I can't do a greyhound that is way too big for me, sorry.

I really like the idea of just looking at lab mixes and finding one that fits my life, but am still scared of it being a different dog when I get home.

Anyway back to the smaller breeds. Any good suggestions? My local shelter has a pug German Shepard mix that is beautiful and it's half what my gf wants and half what I want lol. I'm hoping she is still there when I get back from summer!

I would love to see some pug rescues, I live in Fort Collins, CO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also can anyone suggest a good article/book I should get that can help me chose a pound dog. Like what I should look for and what I should avoid. T

Thanks

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Also can anyone suggest a good article/book I should get that can help me chose a pound dog. Like what I should look for and what I should avoid. T

Thanks
There really isn't anything. You just have to go with what dog speaks to your heart. Because when you go in the shelter they have lots and lots of dogs. But somehow you come out with only one. There's always the one.

Pug & German Shepherd mix :eek: I would like to know how that happened!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.