Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my dog has a bad case of Malassezia on his skin. After so much failure with hypoallergenic dog food, allergy tests, antibiotics, medicated shampoo etc. which were all recommended by the vet, in my desperation I switched him to the raw diet. For 3 weeks he has been eating lean and fatty meat, raw bones and chicken innards, and whole fish. I supplemented with EPA and DHA caps, ACV and acidophilus.

I noticed that his skin started improving--his bald patches have filled in, the large black scaly parts are now pinkish, the waxy, smelly residue on his skin is gone, and he has little danduff now, unlike before when he produced a mountain of dandruff and was scratching all day long. He doesn't scratch as much now and his coat is shiny.

Problem is, last night he started vomiting, 4 hours after his dinner. After vomiting he was so weak he couldn't stand up, was sliding on the floor, going limp and trembling. I was so scared. I've never ever seen it happen to a dog before. Rushed him to vet who told us it wasn't food toxicity but may be something else (we still have to observe him).

After an hour or so he got his strength back and got back to normal in the vet's office. The vet is now telling me that despite the fact that we're not sure the incident is diet-related, it's best to cook his food instead and give him 50-50 meat and veggies/rice. The reason is to avoid possible kidney/urinary trouble in the future since he says too much protein raises uric acid and could spell trouble for my dog in the long run.

I told him it was when I took out the rice and starch in his diet that his skin started improving. He said it might be coincidental and that something else might have helped the skin. But I'm very certain that the improvement came from the raw diet since we have been battling this skin thing for so long and only have now seen any results.

My vet is advising me against raw and telling me to use frontline. However in my experience frontline has made my dog's skin from bad to worse. He doesn't want to believe me, says they've done field trials on frontline and that it's totally safe.

I don't know what to do now. I don't want to take things into my own hands and possibly harm my dog. But should I believe these vets?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
very very few vets are going to endorse raw. Personally the chicken/rice bland diet doesn't sound like bad advice but I wouldn't feel bad about switching the dog to raw either.

Vomiting in early days of raw is sorta normal..they call it detox... he may also have an intolerance to the bones shape....grinding them up might help (worked for me, my dogs would puke up bones)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
As for Frontline, I've never had any luck. You may try Advantix, Advantage Multi, or Revolution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you should change the dog food. There are alot of dogs that cannot eat raw food. Go to petsmart and pick up natures variety food. It comes in can or dry. On the internet I found this web site Just Because For Dogs dog treats. That's all I give my dogs now. They are off perscription food and no more problems. I find them to be great products for all dogs, especially ones with food issues and allergies. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i think your best bet is to try a different vet. it is important to be able to communicate with the person you are trusting with your dog's health and it sounds like he/she and you aren't on the same page with diet. there are more and more holistic vets out there nowadays and i think you might find someone there to help you out. otherwise, your vet is going to tell you what he/she has learned to tell you, and that is valuable info, there is every possibility that the skin improvement and the diet change were coincidental and that you might need to stay open to new solutions. my mom has been battling a strange skin condition on her dog for some time now and has tried a variety of things that have had mixed results. i have been exploring diet options myself and finally settled on part pre-made kibble and part homemade diet that has been working really well for my dog, and me. from what i have read about raw diets, you do have to be carefull of the amount of protien and all that sort of stuff as well as taking time to get your dog used to the diet, abrubt diet change can be very difficult for any animal to handle. from what i've read (i haven't tried it) some dogs just don't do well with raw diets, could you try cooking the same ingredients and see if he keeps it down better?my dog will also swallow bone/chewie type things in large chunks and then vomit them up, but it doesn't seem as severe as what you described, maybe salmonella?....good luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I feed my fur kids raw. I have for over 14 yrs. I have never had any problems that you have described. But my daughter that has a Boston Terrier was feeding raw and her Terrier got Salmonella from the raw meat. The vet she took her to said to partially cook her meat. He said some smaller breeds will have problems with Salmonella from raw meats or eggs.So she started partially cooking the raw meat. She hasn't had any other problems. I have used the raw diet for different sizes and breeds of dogs. Your dog might have other health problems that aren't caused by what you are feeding. Have you had it for a thorough checkup recently? I have never had any problems with too much protein from this diet either. If you do want to feed the raw diet, it is better to have a vet that isn't against feeding raw. Most vets don't approve of the raw diet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Barf diet

Listen! I think we have had very similar experiences!! I have an 8 year old husky who I thought was going to die 2 summers ago.. she was constantly itching, dragging her butt, biting her toes, clawing at her face.. I found out about the B.A.R.F diet and she has done a steady improvement since. Here's what I think about your pup: 1. what did you feed him/her 4 hours prior to the vomiting? do you have a good fresh source of food or was it from a grocery store? maybe that particular food was a little too ripe?..

2. are there any other possible explanations for the vomiting? anything the dog could have gotten into that day? anyone using paint or varnish?

I say trust your instincts.. I know this diet has saved my dog and if she got very ill one afternoon, I would look for specific factors.. not the diet over all. Was your dog eating chicken bones? I know raw bones are ok but sometimes one could swallow a piece too large and that might cause vomiting. Best of luck to you... don't give up, you are on the right track!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lot of vets recommend not feeding raw and even the AVMA in the US has a policy statement against it. I've run into vets myself who do NOT advise against it because among other things they see how beneficial a RAW diet can be for the animal IF it is done properly.

It's possible that the raw diet was the cause of your dog's skin problems clearing up, but there is also the possibility that there is is another cause. Because just about all allergies in dogs manifest themselves as skin problems, it can be extremely difficult to pin down what caused it. Only about 10 % of allergies are however related to food - most come from something they inhale and many come from something they come into contact with.

I'd be curious what hypoallergenic food you tried too.

At any rate if your dog's skin is getting better, that's good news!

·
Banned
557 Posts
May I suggest finding a new vet. Vets, in general do not study animal nutrition. I have been feeding raw for a long time ( 1984).
Recently I switched off raw, originally due to traveling. ( ie instead of taking half my kitchen or stopping at grocery stores.) There is only food I have found that is any good with enough calories to hold weight on a sighthound.
I think what might have happened was a build up of minerals. You have a good diet you are doing, but maybe every few days, delete the vitamins from the mix. Minerals can build up, and that might have been what happened.
I use to give the vitamins ( except the water soluable ones like E and C) every other day. ( Water soluable is daily.). On the other hand- it could have been something the dog 'picked up' in the yard or on a walk.
Hard to say for sure- but one thing is certain in my mind- what change abruptly what is obviously working? Therefore- I think its time for a new vet...
Keep us posted how it goes..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts