Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my mother is insisting on adding another dog to our pack of 4. A 7 week old male rottweiler was found and we dont know anyone willing to take it. My mom doesnt want to bring it to the shelter, but I'm a little worried about the introduction and where to go from there.
I have 4 dogs, pierce (7), shadow (6), logan & leo (5). Pierce, a golden retriever, rottweiler mix is our first.. he's the old man of the group, he likes to sit back and relax. He likes to show his dominance by growling to the others about eating at the same time as him, but it always ends up to be harmless because he's a big teddy bear. Shadow, our second, is a boxer lab mix. He's very playful but has arthritis in his hips. He doesn't show much dominance but he can get grumpy here and there when he lays down. Our third & fourth, Logan and Leo, are brothers and a lab spaniel mix. Logan is a big boy with a thick build and can try to be the dominant one most times. He plays sometimes but is mainly lazy and by far the biggest baby of them all. His brother leo is smaller and thinner. He's kind of a loner in a way because he spends most of his time in his 'den', a place we have behind the couch. He's very vocal and playful.
To be honest I'm not so much worried about Pierce, or Shadow, but my biggest worry is Logan and Leo. They have gone at it before over food. Because we leave our dishes down, there was only 1 bowl left with food and it didn't end too badly, but logan put a hole in Leo's ear with his tooth. It's all healed, there's no permanent damage, and nothinf else has happened since then, but I want to avoid these things. ANY help with the introduction, training, etc, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can't you feed them in separate rooms?

I would introduce the new member on neutral ground. That's what I do when I introduce a new dog to my pack. Do not give the new puppy special treatments, because the other dogs might get jealous.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts